You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Man In My Brother's Closet

Real Ghost Stories

Man In My Brother's Closet

 

Note: This experience is not directly based around me but my brother when he was around three to four years old.

As a big sister I always wanted to protect my brother even when we fought like normal siblings do, but when strange things started to happen I felt helpless. Not only because I was nine years old, it was the fact I couldn't see what was causing it.

It started slowly when we moved to a new home in a complex. My little brother was still at the stage where on odd occasions he would climb into our parents' bed and sleep there, but the majority of the time he would sleep in his own room.

After about two months being there my brother's behavior changed. He would leave his light on when sleeping or when going up the stairs and if we tried turning them off, he would start crying and screaming for them to be turned back on. Our parents just narrowed it down to him being scared of the dark, but before this he never had a problem with the lights being off.

It was not long before he started sleeping with our parents more frequently and when they tried to get him to sleep in his own bed, he put up a big fuss. They ended up moving his mattress to their room when his sleepovers seemed to be permanent. I was young so I ignored his antics as being the baby of the family.

I ended up believing something else was going on after that one single day. We were playing together in his room with his Hot Wheel cars in front of his closet where his toys are kept. I noticed he always kept the closet door shut even when getting toys from it, so thinking it was just him being a good little boy I suggested we keep it open while we played with the toys and once the toys are all cleaned up we close it. He simply said no and when I asked why he continued to say no. Not getting any real answer, I decided to do it myself, not really seeing any point on keeping something closed when there are things in it we want. And in that split second my little brother slammed the closet door before I could open it even a crack yelling at me, "Stop, he's in there!"

I remember my brother's face on that day being on the verge of tears with the most scared expression because of a door being open. I didn't try opening that door after that but I did ask him about who this "He" was and every time he got this look on his face like he was remembering a bad memory and said it was the man who stood in his closet. I never got a name, just that he was a man who always stood there and watched him if the door was left open.

It never escalated to a dangerous point other than noises upstairs when no one was up there, our cat staring at something when there is nothing there and follow with her eyes as if she were watching something move. During the night I would often hear her running around the house and meowing as if she was playing with someone but I can't say this is paranormal, just odd behavior since she usually sleeps through the night.

I have always had a thing for the paranormal so I considered that someone died in or near the house; however, the complex was fairly new and if any death happened I would have heard of it sooner or later. I also considered it to just be my little brother's imagination getting the best of him but I can't see imagination making someone that scared and he reacted just as scared of a single empty room in our aunt's new house.

All I know is at the age of 11 he started sleeping in his own room and never mentioned the man so is he gone? Perhaps it is true about children being more sensitive to the paranormal and that we eventually lose this sensitivity. I just wish I knew if the man was still there or not but if my brother is no longer affected by it, I am content with not knowing.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Light_is_Sanctuary, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Light_is_Sanctuary (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-04)
Sorry for my late response I have been away from my computer for week and finally got a chance to read the comments.
Thanks everyone for your comments I greatly appreciate them all.

To RedWolf
I definitely agree with what you say and thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts.

To LlamaFox
I only read bits and pieces of the link you gave but I find it really interesting and I plan to read it further. Thanks for commenting

To Mrfknbee
Thank you for the compliment. I love my brother dearly and I believe in my brother so I would definitely support him anyway I could.

To AudreyJay and ghosthunt12
I understand your points on it being his imagination however I know my little brother and looking back I do not see it being left to just that. Also I never considered it being a ghost just passing through but thanks for your insights on the matter.
ghosthunt12 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-04)
I think that its just a coincidence and nothing paranormal related thing is involved.
AudreyJay (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
There is a strong possibility that he just had an overactive imagination, but more possible that a spirit used his closet as a stop over to where he was headed. He seems to have no lingering issues from it, so perhaps it's best to just let sleeping dogs lie.
mrfknbee (39 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-25)
Sorry I didn't explain why I put your names, I have purely enjoyed reading all your stories and comments its like been at hogwarts and you guys are the teachers sharing your wisdom lol and I have just had a look its Aussie daz so apologies on getting your name wrong Mr Aussie daz. Our advert in the uk for fosters larger is "fosters, get some Australian in you" and "good call" sorry for rambling lol
mrfknbee (39 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-25)
You must be a lovely sister to have and massive respect for having your brothers back at during which would have been a horrifying experience for him.

Just to say a massive hello to the mods and the regular commenter's. I have been visiting this site every day for the past three years and never left a comment but I love reading the stories and comments. From when javelina use to comment until now I still stick around and I have got say (sorry if I spell your name wrong) zzgranny, miracles, valkicry, and there's an Australian lad who has been commenting for a long time called Aussie dan or dave I think lol.
Great work everyone, just shows a ghost story isn't just for halloween just like a dog isn't just for Christmas lol
Llamafox (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-22)
Hi there,

So according to this site children are more likely to hear voices or (and this may apply to other pychic phenomena) as they have poorly grounded awareness so are more open to such perceptions. Http://www.clarity-of-being.org/night-terrors-voices.htm#mozTocId565758
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-22)
CuriousGuy & Light_is_Sanctuary
What I have learned and believe is that young children are innocent and can see spirits and even interact with spirits. As they grow up some lose this ability because the adults around them are non believers. Either because they were brought up by non believers or very religious people who don't want their children to believe in spirits.
There are the lucky ones like the people on YGS who grow up believing and have had experiences throughout our lives. Although some of us, myself included that have experiences when we were young but because of different reasons lose their abilities but get them back later on. My reason is that I don't remember a lot of my childhood as I blocked it out.
Regards
RedWolf
Light_is_Sanctuary (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-21)
Hi CuriousGuy,

I moved out when I was 13 because of my parents divorcing but I visit my mom and brothers every summer and Christmas break. During my visits I noticed the cat sleeps through the night like she used to and my brother has his closet open basically all the time now so I think he is blocking it out. Even when we talk about the past and I bring up it he says I don't remember that, only that I didn't like that room. And the times I'm in the house with only my brothers I'll get the sudden moments of feeling like I'm being watched and ill hear scuffling upstairs but nothing big.
CuriousGuy (2 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-20)
Hello,

One thing I want to say is I always heard that your sensitivity to your spirits is affected by if you believe in it and if your supported in it but you can lose it if you start blocking it out or not bothering with it.

However it is also entirely possible that the spirit may have moved on or may just not be making its presence known to him any more. There still noises or any strange occurances in the building?

Peace
CuriousGuy

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: