You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Hope, No Hope

Real Ghost Stories

Hope, No Hope

 

There's a place of yoga/meditation near my home. Hope is in the name, but I will not divulge more. I believe it is on a ley line because it emits a strange... Power.

One night, I went to visit it with two male friends (I'll call them J and C). C had tragically lost his brother recently and was dealing with some anger problems. I had hoped some meditation/a walk through the labyrinth would calm him some and was going to offer a small cleansing ritual.

When we all got there, though, the two guys became drawn to the woods that lay just beyond the labyrinth. There was a darkness emitting from beyond the tree line and I didn't want to go, but they insisted. I agreed to enter, but only under the condition that C walk the labyrinth. His emotions were so raw and the dark energy was so intense that I wanted him to put up some sort of barrier. After some argument, he did as he was told.

Once he had finished, we headed down a narrow path into the woods. Briars dragged at our clothes and the air was completely still and silent; there were no sounds of wildlife and the summer sun had dulled to twilight. At the end of the path there was a three-way fork and the two guys suddenly bolted in opposite directions. It is at this point that I would like to point out that we were all completely sober.

I followed J first and found him several yards into the woods talking with a tree. His eyes and voice had a dreamy, hypnotized look. He insisted that the tree was covered with eyes and, despite him admitting that the tree felt demonic, he felt a desperate need to hug it. I spent several minutes arguing with J and insisting that he should not touch the tree. It wasn't until I told J that C had disappeared that the trance broke and he followed me.

Once back at the clearing, J and I searched for the path that C had taken, but there was no longer a path. We called out to C, but there was no reply. Panicked, we hiked back up the path aways and found a small path that seemed to lead in C's general direction. After several minutes of searching, we found C staring, unmoving, through the branches of a tree at a brook. He didn't so much as flinch when we walked up behind him and grabbed his shoulder. Just continued to stare...

As I struggled to get C's attention, J once more got entranced by another demon-tree; demanding he hug it. I don't remember how, but I somehow managed to break C's trance and the two of us dragged J back up the path. C remained completely stonefaced and silent as we trekked on, while J continued to babble about trees with eyes.

When we once more reached the labyrinth, the sunlight glinted off of a shadow that had clasped itself onto the back of C. Panicked, I ordered C to go through the labyrinth once more. He did so without comment or complaint. When he had finished, I tossed a line of salt (an object that had previously been meant for the above mentioned cleansing ritual) across the entrance. The shadow was off of C's shoulder, but I could hear banging, like someone trying to break down a door, coming from the labyrinth.

I ushered my friends back to the car and C began to tell his side of the story: when he had first reached the clearing, he had heard a voice coming from his chosen path. Once he had entered the path, all sound that J and I had been making disappeared and there was only silence, silence and the voice. When he reached the place that J and I had found him, he saw a silhouetted figure crouching on a limb of the tree.

He asked the figure, "Are you my brother?" The figure said no.

"Are you my anger?" Again, no.

"Then who are you?"

The figure simply replied, "I am you."

Though nearly 20 minutes had passed since the two guys had split ways, it felt like 2 minutes to C.

Two months passed. Myself, J, C and his girlfriend T went to see a movie. While idling in the parking lot after the film had ended, that night was once more brought up. After expressing some annoyance that she had not been made aware of this expedition, T asked when this had all occurred, and had told her that it had been mid-July. She mentioned a feeling she had had around that time, a demonic sense. T then asked for a piece of paper and a pen.

T proceeded to draw a rough, but completely accurate map of Hope and the wooded area beyond, right down to the barely acknowledged stream, the fork in the path, and the stone heart at the center of the labyrinth. She proceeded to name her map Hope, No Hope, with the words hovering above the fitting spots.

The most disturbing part was the one thing she got wrong. She had drawn an X on one corner of the map, assuming that it was where her boyfriend had been. It wasn't. It was where I had first found J.

We have since returned to that spot a few more times (what can I say, we are masochists), and while we have never experienced anything as intense since, strange things still do occur. The stream has proven to be completely soundproof no matter what you throw in it, and no sound of nature has ever been heard, rustling leaves included.

Whether it is because of or inspite of T's X, it is always J that insists on these visits. What he wants to find, even he does not know, but we know he should not search for it alone.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, danielabella92, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-11)
I do not doubt the OP and friends experienced something... But the bit about 'walking the labyrinth' doesn't 'sit right' with me. They are used as meditative/relaxing tools rather than having anything to do with cleansing and protection.

Can the OP please clarify this for me?

Respectfully,

Rook
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-10)
Also, wow, my comment was so poorly worded. That's what I get for editing the heck out of a comment. What I'm trying to say is that I very much believe all of you experienced the things you did, but it may have more to do with sharing personal thoughts on things, than being haunted or dealing with spirits. I bet you three are kindred spirits, and very close friends. Further, it was very late, and you're young, and all those things just feed into a sort of psychological and spiritual frenzy that can be downright inexplicable. I bet half of the active members on this site can relate. 😊 So I can't anything with absolute certainty. All I know is, it's a lot easier to freak out when you're young and hanging out with friends late at night. I also know for a fact that it's a lot of fun to intentionally freak out friends late at night... Not that I would ever do that...::innocent look::
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-10)
I really like spiritwaiting's hypothesis, and I'd like to thank daniellebella for sharing her story. It does sound pretty intense and far-fetched, and I do believe she and her friends did not use drugs, but I do personally think there was likely some sort of biochemical influence they did not know about. A gas leak would make a lot of sense. I chalked it all up to hormones, but really, there could have been environmental influences as well.

Please note, that doesn't make any of your experiences less profound. I really doubt that any spirits were involved, but I do think that in a meditative state, your brains were more ready to process all the subconscious things they didn't want to process previously.

It's also possible everyone experienced various spiritual things. But maybe y'all were just working through a psychological thing together. Sort of like that "hive mind" idea. Just a thought.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-08)
The stories on here are real to the ones whom have written them. Experiences vary, as you will see many different topics they are placed under. I agree with Miracles51031, everyone has a difference in opinion and are entitled to theirs, but offensive comments are certainly not welcomed. Its interesting that others can make these types of comments and not post any of their own experiences. Thank you danielabella92, for posting your experience on here.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-04)
danielabella92, The woods could have had some sort of gas emiting through the ground. Which could have caused the reactions and hallucinations. It may have been the wooded area looked strange or had a feeling pulling you to it because you had never been in the woods before. I love nature and the woods give me the same pull, as I'm natually drawn to them. Also, the area could have been an area where something tragic happened and the entity/entities,want you to help. Great writing by the way.
Try and get cleansings for all of you that were involved in this outting.
ghosthunt12 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-04)
I agree with you DARKNESS. It is hard to believe this story. I think it is the thoughts that you yourself created. And besides woods are silent and peaceful too.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-03-04)
Hmmm bit on the fence with this account found it a little to hard to get through to be honest.
This reads as though it is a fictional short story, although I may be entirely incorrect, but something doesn't sit right with it. 🤔
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
10 years ago (2014-03-02)
Bejek - and I could have deleted your comment. No, it's not a slow day. I just don't see the point in starting off on this way. No one else gets by with it 😉
Bejek (10 posts)
-4
10 years ago (2014-03-02)
I could have been much more offensive then using the word crap. It must be a slow day the mods have to send me a warning over that last post.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-02)
Bejek - you are certainly entitled to your opinion; however, in the future, choose your words a little more wisely. Insulting comments can, and will be, deleted. If you do not like the story, or don't believe the story is real, that's your opinion. Just figure out a less offensive way to express it. Okay?
Bejek (10 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-03-02)
This entire story is crap. I thought this was supposed to be real ghost stories?

As far as energy goes, the entire world has different levels of energy and it changes depending on the location. It's not unheard of areas having higher then normal EMF readings, there's even natural stone that emits strong magnetic features. That doesn't make it paranormal in the least.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-01)
Curious here, how can sunlight glint off a shadow?
I find this story intriguing.
I don't think the OP meant to make a connection between ley lines and yoga, only that she believed the place was constructed on one, as odd things occur there. Which makes me wonder if any other events have been recorded? Surely a silent stream would be of some notoriety? Curious...very.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-25)
I used to practice yoga, meditation, and entering a trance state. Though they can be utilized together, as Azrael said, they are very different things. Basilisk is also correct that when done improperly, you can self-induce a temporary madness. I also personally believe you can open yourself up to spiritual dangers.

Yoga is a tool for achieving spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical alignment. There are many different kinds of yoga. (I did hatha yoga, for example. You can Google it if you're curious.)

I fully support the practice of yoga or meditative labyrinth walking. But it needs to be done with supervision or in the safety of your home.

This story was very interesting and I am wondering what exactly happened that night. I also find it eerie that T could draw such an accurate map, if she'd never before been there. Though perhaps you described it well enough for her to know. What was the significance of her drawn map? How much detail had the three of you given her, and what was the point of her drawing it. What did she think it meant? And did she draw the X as how she saw you in her own mind, or as how she saw it based upon your description?

I honestly would chalk a lot of this up to the imaginations of fun-seeking teenagers / young adults. My friends and I used to get into similar shenanigans when I was younger. It's fun to get that creeped out feeling, and it's fun to share it with friends. I'm not sure what to believe about the reasons behind the events, whether they're purely spiritual or mental, or "hooey", as Azrael put it.

This is just a long-winded way of saying I would like more detail. I second swimsinfire's question: How did you know the tree was demonic?

And why did C ask the figure if it was his brother or his anger?
basilisk193 (35 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-24)
How did they enter the trance state that quickly? Did they perform any exercises or rituals at all?
I used to practice Chi Gong, and I think it's pretty close to Yoga. It seems that practicing these arts, if not done properly, is extremely dangerous. Self-induced illusions and madness.
And even though very rarely the case, recklessly entering trance state is the same as inviting entities to come and feed on you, there is a chance your friends was actually influenced by them. Places like a park where lots of people come and practice yoga recklessly may have tons of entities attracted by the residual energy from practitioners.
You really should not come back there. And telling your friend to practice yoga to get rid of his anger isn't wise. Rule of thumb is 1 - don't practice when your temper is unstable, 2 - don't practice where seems even slightly shady and disturbing, don't even mention demonic presence.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-24)
Just out of curiosity, how did you know the tree was demonic. I have seen faces in trees, and they had a very positive energy. It sounds like there was a lot of healing going on. Sometimes, when you're not used to a wood with no man made things in it it can be frightening. And I loved Azrael's comment. The mind is complicated stuff.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-02-24)
For you kind information, Yoga has nothing to do with ley lines.
How would I know? I am from India. I practice yoga and I don't subscribe to the new age hooey people ascribe to traditional yoga.
Meditation and yogic meditation are two different processes. Yogic meditation requires controlled breathing sequences & relaxation processes, which simple meditation doesn't contain.

I don't have any comments on what your friend "Saw" or "talked to".

One step towards meditation of any kind, human mind may slip into a trance like stage.

It depends on the training or strength of the person whether he or she graduates from the mid level trance stage to pure meditative level.

The stage where your friend saw eyes on trees, shapes on trees, felt it was demonic, feeling to hug it, and what not, is and was in a mental high in the trance state.

Human mind is a funny, mysterious object which may play all kind of illusions on us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: