You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: An Extension Of Me, Or A Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

An Extension Of Me, Or A Ghost?

 

I have read many stories on here which have prompted me to share this one for the first time. It all happened to me between the age of 9 and 11.

A little background on the story which I think is relevant. At age 6 my mum married and old school friend of hers named Steven. He had three children of his own which were older then me. Little Steve was 11, Emily 9 and Dave 7. I was 6 at the time.

When I first met my mum's husband, I immediately disliked him. I hated the way he would look at me, it creeped me out. Also, I have to admit I think I was jealous of him and his kids in a way because before him it was always just me and my mum. She never had boyfriends before and I didn't like how I now had to share her with 4 other people.

Anyway after they were married my mum got a job so most of the time I was stuck with Steven. After a few weeks he became very abusive towards me. His daughter told me he had always been the same with her and her brothers. He used to sit and watch TV all day while he forced us to clean the house and if things weren't done the way he wanted, he would be physically violent towards us. After a while he also became sexually interested in me.

After they were married at this point, I had just turned 9. My mum came home from work one day and I was sat in the chair in the living room and my mum just looked at me and asked what was wrong and I refused to tell her anything. That night she packed a bag for us both and we left and went to stay with my grandparents. I overheard her telling my nana that I looked like a ghost when she saw me in the chair, pale faced, sunken eyes and my long dark brown hair had started turning grey. She put it down to the stress of me suddenly adapting to a family instead of it being just me and her as she knew nothing of how Steven treated us. We stayed with my grandparents for 3 or 4 weeks then we moved into a house of our own. At this point she knew nothing of the abuse and to this day only knows little of what happened when she wasn't there.

About 3 months after we moved into our house me and a friend got into trouble at school because she had wrote our names on a bathroom wall. She was pretty hard on me about it because it was out of character for me to be in trouble, but she wouldn't believe me when I said it was my friend who had defaced the wall. I guess I began to resent her because she didn't believe me and I thought if I told her about Steven she wouldn't believe that either, and I was angry with her for not protecting me. I kind of blamed her in a way, that's when things began to happen.

A few days later, around 9pm she was busy making us some supper and trying to do some laundry and I was bugging her about getting a kitten. She had said no a hundred times but I kept nagging her. I was standing by the door begging her and she was looking kind of flustered and suddenly she snapped at me. I just looked at her and said, "There's no need to shout" as I walked out and slammed the door behind me. As the door slammed all the lights downstairs popped at once. My mum screamed and I ran back to her terrified. At first we both put it off as a fault with the lights or bad wiring.

Over the next few weeks strange things continued to happen to my mum. Every Saturday we had a routine that by 7pm we both had a bath and would cuddle up on the sofa with my quilt and watch CSI and Law and order together with lots of sweets and pop. It doesn't like much but it was something we both looked forward to every week. This one Saturday we were watching CSI and the episode was about a child who had been abused. My mum had a pile of videos stacked up in the corner (DVDs were relatively new at the time lol). As my anger grew with the episode, I felt like something was watching us. Then suddenly the whole pile of videos jumped up in the air and the bottom two videos had flipped from being flat on the floor to being sideways with the rest balanced on top. Me and my mum just looked at each other shocked and decided that we weren't staying in that room a minute longer and went upstairs to continue with our night. The strange thing was I had this feeling, when the videos flipped I felt like whatever had done it was laughing at us. It's really hard to explain.

The next morning my mum looked tired. I asked if she was ok and she just said she didn't get much sleep. Later that day I heard her tell her friend that she'd woke up to see her room full of people staring at her and had ended up sleeping on the sofa in the dining room.

A few months went by and it seemed as my anger towards my mum grew so did the activity. She said things began to go missing, she was seeing and hearing things and one day I walked in the front door to find her unconscious at the bottom of the stairs. She told me she had fallen but later she said she felt 2 hands on her back and she was pushed down the last few steps and hit her head on the wall.

After my 10th birthday me and my mum had a really bad argument because she didn't like my best friend and wouldn't let me go to a sleepover at her house. I remember feeling extremely angry and frustrated with her because I felt she was being unfair and I remember shouting, "Well, I didn't like your husband but it didn't stop you marrying him did it?" I remember she just had this shocked look on her face, maybe it was because I had never spoke to her like that, or because I refused to speak about Steve. If his name was even mentioned I would leave the room, maybe she was shocked by both I don't know. After I screamed at her I just walked out of the dining room and sat on the sofa. My mum followed behind me trying to question me on what I'd just said. She was just in the doorway behind me when I heard a loud slap and my mum winced. I turned to see her with her hand on her face, when she moved her hand there was a huge red mark like someone had hit her. I just remember thinking to myself it was odd because, although I never would and certainly never have, but in that moment I was so angry with her I felt like giving her a slap. I know how wrong that sounds but I must say me and my mum are extremely close and would never intentionally or physically hurt each other, but we are so alike that living together we were always frustrated with each other. We are both dominant, strong willed and extremely stubborn lol.

After my mum was slapped I had a proper think about everything that had happened and there was one pattern, every time I was angry, whether it was with her or not, something would happen. I decided to talk to the school counselor, not about what was happening with my mum but about what went on when we lived with Steve. She made me realize that what had happened was neither mine or my mum's fault and my anger towards her changed as I realized I had been angry with the wrong people.

I decided I should tell my mum some of what happened. I only told her that he treated us like slaves and hit us sometimes and it broke her heart, so I decided I wouldn't tell her anymore. After that things died down quite a lot for a few months and we had been getting along great, then one day she asked me if I would mind her having a boyfriend. I sort of knew something was going on with her because she's not to good at hiding things, especially from me. At first I was worried so I said as long as she kept him away from me I didn't care. After that things started up again, nothing big, just bangs, lights flashing, voices things like that.

On my 11th birthday I finally agreed to meet mum's new man Shaun. I instantly took to him, he treated me and mum with great respect. You could tell he genuinely cared about us and with him in the frame nothing else ever happened. I think it was because we were happy. The poor man sort of became a filter between me and mum. If we became annoyed with each other he was there to calm us down and cheer us up. Eleven years later my mum and dad are still together and like two teenagers in love still.

The main reason I'm posting this story, which I must admit has been very hard for me because I prefer to block that part of my life out, is because I always assumed it was a ghost when I was younger, but something a friend said a few weeks ago made me remember everything that happened and now I'm an adult I saw it differently. I now think that maybe with me holding everything in and blaming my mum, that maybe my anger had manifested itself and started attacking her. I'm not 100% on what I think but the pattern seems to fit. If I got angry my mum got attacked and I really don't know what to make of it.

Other hauntings by missy-ryton

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, missy-ryton, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
missy-ryton- they say the younger we are, the more "powerful" our minds are. At that time you were very negative and full of hatred, therefore actually manifested a negative energy around you. These things feed off negativity and can be manipulative. This is just my opinion. Thankfully, things worked out for you and your family. Glad Steve is gone. God bless you
aarushi (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
Hey!
I am not sure... But I guess there was something unusual and negative at your place then... You might have been angry with your mum... But YOU weren't the cause of those dvd's jumping... YOU didn't go ahead and slap your mum... And neither were YOU the cause of her fainting... On the contrary she herself admitted that she felt someone pushing her and she even had bad dreams... + you also felt the presence of a third person while you both were the only two people watching tv.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
Hi, I can not relate to what its like to have an abusive parent / step parent, I'm one of the lucky ones whom it has never happened to. But I will say I'm very glad things have now worked out, and that you and your mum are now happy and have Shaun. I'm in agreement with BJJ also, sounds like poltergeist activity which could have been created by / fed off your intense emotions at the time. I hope your positive energy and vibes have now banished the bad for good, and it will now stay that way.😊
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Amazing story of courage. It makes you wonder, doesn't it? If negetive energy can produce polterghist activity, what would intense positive energy do? I mean you did say you had a proper think, and took positive action, producing more positive action, and more positive thinking. Look what happened from it. It's only a theory, or a hope. 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
missy-ryton, I'm so sorry that you had gone through such an ordeal, but it is also only natural that you would have shifted the blame unto your mom. I know that sounds horrible, but from a child's view point it makes sense. After all it was she who brought him into your life, and she failed to see what was going on. She failed to protect you. Ergo, it's her fault. It's the logic of a small child. But, in fairness, she must have sensed something to simply pack you both a bag and walk out like she did.
Given your age at the time, I agree with BJJ that it could have been poltergeist activity. It certainly fits the parameters for such a case.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+5
10 years ago (2014-03-15)
It sounds very much like poltergeist activity. There are a few theories on poltergeists, but the one that make the most sense to me is unintentional telekinesis.
The gist of this theory is that a person under severe stress can cause things go move, or break, or cause a physical attack, without being aware of what they are doing. The emotional turmoil just becomes so intense it begins to act out independently of the person experiencing the turmoil. It makes perfect sense that you may have brought about poltergeist activity with so much tension in your life.
I'm glad that things got better for you.
lin66127 (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-15)
I'm glad your life turned out better with your mothers' third husband. A child needs nurturing and your mothers' second man didn't provide you or his children with that. I'm not a violent person but I had the thought that it was too bad your angry spirit didn't knock some sense into your moms' second man and straightened him up.
kayandkeeks (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-15)
Hey! Have commented on your other stories, first of all I'd like to let you know you are not alone, I had a stepdad who was very similar to that! So never feel like your alone, also in really sorry you had to go through that at such a young age! Its horrible when guys think they can get away with such things! Anyway, I think your right, your anger towards your mum could possibly have been manifesting itself but ice never really understood that kind of thing, maybe what's following you now could have something to do with what happened then, maybe it was wanting to protect you, so everytime you got upset or angry your poor mum got the brunt of it, also, try not to blame your mum, I made that mistake and me and my mum don't have much of a relationship now, and its been that was for four years, every girl needs their mummma, hope things work out, love and light x

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: