You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ada Started Crying

Real Ghost Stories

Ada Started Crying

 

In November 2012 me, my husband and two sons had a beautiful house in the north east of England in a town called Peterlee. It was the ideal home and we all loved it. Unfortunately, due to the recession my husband's shop was closed and we had no choice but to move back to our home town of Seaham so he could start work in the factories.

So the day came to move, and because I had been busy I hadn't managed to go see the house before we moved in but my husband told me it was newly refurbished, redecorated and clean. My first priority when I arrived at the house was to have a look around see what I was dealing with. All I can say is, it was dull. Every room was magnolia with a plain light beige carpet in every room, except the bathroom which had wood affect linoleum.

Halfway up my staircase is a door that leads to a tiny box room, I'd say it would be ok for a small child to sleep in. Immediately walking into that room the air just felt different. The room seemed a little darker than it should be considering the huge window and the bright magnolia paint, and it felt cooler. There was a sense of awkwardness about the room. It wasn't a bad feeling though, it was like when you first meet someone, and neither of you are quite sure of what to say so you just share awkward glances and grins lol.

A few days after moving in my two boys, Mathew and Joseph, started to tell me that an old lady would come in to their rooms at night and sometimes she would sing nursery rhymes. I didn't think too much of what they had said, I just assumed they weren't to happy about moving so they were making stories up.

Since the day we moved in we always kept that small bedroom door closed. We had no reason to enter as we have 3 bedrooms at the top of the stairs and everything else is downstairs. It was 8:30pm, I had just put the boys to bed and was heading down the stairs when the door opened a little bit as I walked passed. At first I assumed it was a draft but had this urge to look inside. I pushed the door open not expecting to see anything when I saw a little old lady sitting in the corner looking out the window. I really wasn't expecting to see anything, so my initial reaction was to switch the light on and question her, but as soon as I turned my head to hit the light switch she'd gone.

Over the next few weeks we'd often see her peeking through the door, or hear her shuffling up and down the stairs. It was like she was wondering what we were up to. She never caused us any bother although the boys said she still comes into their rooms at night sometimes. And for some reason, we all started to refer to her as Ada, none of us are sure why.

After around 6 weeks of living here we decided to renovate and have the bathroom moved from the kitchen to her room and use the old bathroom as a laundry room as it was far to small for a family of 4. As the renovations started, I became worried that Ada wouldn't be too happy because we think that it was her room. She didn't seem to mind, though. Once the room was done up we'd often go in and she'd just be sitting there but she never lasted long if we went in.

The thing with Ada, though, she didn't seem interested in us, she never tried to make contact other than us seeing her. If I went in the bathroom I'd always say hello but she'd just disappear. We realized that she has no interest in us and that she's just happy being here so we try not to bother her and things have been fine until around a month ago.

So around a month ago, I was just walking in the door around 3:15pm from picking the boys up from school and nursery and immediately heard shuffling on the stairs. This isn't anything usual but as we were taking our coats and shoes off and the bathroom door slammed really loud. I thought maybe a window was open so I went and checked but nothing. This happened 3 or 4 times after on the same night.

The next day around 11pm, everyone else was asleep and I was up watching Doctor Who when I heard the shuffling on the stairs. I went in the kitchen to make a cup of tea and when I came back Ada was standing in the living room. This is a first, as far as any of us had witnessed. She'd never came in to the living room before. She just stood there crying. I didn't know what to do so I asked if she was ok but she didn't didn't answer, she just went back out the room.

Over the month she has done this every night, as well as slamming the bathroom door during the day and we can here wailing coming from the bathroom. A few days ago my husband was in bed as he's on night shifts at the minute. He came down and told me he couldn't sleep because she kept walking around the room.

We honestly don't know if we have upset or offended her, or even if she's just trying to communicate, or even warn us of something. We have no idea. All I can say is we have come to accept her as part of our lives since we moved in and her being upset is kind of upsetting to us. I don't expect anyone to understand that but I think because we see or hear her so often she just became like one of us.

I'd like to know if anyone has had any similar experiences as this? In the 45 minutes I have spent writing this she has slammed the door twice, I've heard her cry and she's constantly shuffling up and down the stairs. If anyone has been through this or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Other hauntings by missy-ryton

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, missy-ryton, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Pink496 (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-06-23)
This is one of my favorite stories on your ghost stories. Poor lady. It's so nice that you care about the old lady. I hope you can find what is upsetting her. Best of luck ' pink496
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-26)
Hello:
I agree with some of what has been said. Perhaps she needs help crossing over. If you don't know how to do this, you will need a reputable professional (anyone you're comfortable with that is actually qualified). Perhaps she did cross over, but has elected to stay. She does not sound residual if she is interacting with you & your family, and since the "script" has changed. Something is upsetting to her. I do wonder about the "warning you" theory. If you care enough to want to help her, once again obtain a qualified professional. You could leave a paper & pencil in the room asking what's wrong. See if you get a response. No ouija boards or anything that might open up portals & let anyone or anything in.
Blessings
JasonHolgate (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-22)
Hm Missy-ryton a question you said you had an Ada in one of your other Stories, wouldn't that not link as her in that house because you said Ada in one of your other stories was actually your partners, Grandmother, so I don't know if that could be connected or what or its just something from what I said cause South lismore was a place you said aswell in your other stories, so I don't know what it is if its your partner's grandmother or something connected from what I said previously thanks again on a wonderful story and an upsetting one at that: (
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-22)
[at] missy-ryton - Have you particularly seen the bathroom door banging shut?
ghostfreak123 (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-21)
At first it was easy to classify Ada a residual haunt but when you said she started to slam doors and cry she became harder to classify. My suggestion is to (if possible) return the house to the way it was when you moved in as that is when it seems Ada started the shuffling and slamming.
JasonHolgate (2 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-21)
a little something about an Ada which I have found in the seaham area

Mrs. Ada Ann Durrington (79) died at her residence, Casino-street, South Lismore, yesterday morning after a week's illness. The late Mrs. Durrington was born on the Clarence River and was married to Charles Hubert Durrington at Woodburn over 50 years ago. They lived at Swan Bay until coming to Lismore nine years ago. Mr. Durrington died in 1928 and was buried at Woodburn. The following family survive: Hubert (Murwillumbah), Charles (Swan Bay), and Fred (Oberon), sons, and Mesdames J. W. Hayward (Cairns), A. V. Marshall (Sydney). And A. Rowe (South Lismore) are daughters
frangelica1 (40 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-20)
I can see why the changes with Ada are making you nervous. I especially hate to hear anyone crying!

One thing that I didn't see mentioned yet, is to go to the local historian in town or other long time neighbors and see if you can find out anything about people that lived or owned the property before you. If additional info is available regarding past events at the site, it may give enough info that can help us understand the changing behavior of Ada.
paranomscare54 (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-19)
maybe try to communicate with Ada a bit but try not to annoy her from her personal space, don't make Ada feel afraid or harmed in anyway if the slamming doors and shuffling or any other activity starts to get worse or is starting to happen its probably best you leave her alone if you want to try to communicate with Ada do not use any wigi boards or an thing like that they are very dangerous! God bless and good luck.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-19)
I can't help but wonder if Ada could be upset by the other entity/entities you've mentioned being in the house, or if the other could be imitating her? What steps have you taken to clear your home of the other activity?
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-19)
Question - Have you seen the doors banging close by themselves?

The reason why I sak is - if it is just a sound that you hear, then the whole Ada and the sounds are part of a residual haunting.

Second, If you are a Christian, then I strongly advise you not to follow all these cleaning methods involving burning herbs and what not. Just go to your parish priest and ask him to come and bless your home.
If you are Christian and believe in god, then no other method is required to exorcise a haunting than a blessing by a Christian priest. Have faith in Lord Jesus.
Animefuriku (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-19)
Just sit in the living room and talk to her even is she won't respond to you... That might help you because she actually respond eventually
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
Maybe the door slaming is coming from the chick in the hospital, and Ada is a little frightened. Seriously. Is there a rule that the lady in the hospital couldn't walk over and visit you? I agree with the light comments. You can invite all of them to go to the light, or find a medium to do it. I loved your story about the poltergheist, though, and I'll bet you could keep it positive enough to send them to the light. Love your stories.
ghostfacep (1 stories) (27 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
Yes, this started off with her "being nice", and ends with her slamming doors, etc. 😕 Sounds like it will only get worse before it gets better to me. You could walk through your house and read verses from the bible and when you feel you've read enough, you can open your front door for awhile to allow fresh air into your home. I think this may help as a first try. 😁 If you read this message and feel it helped, please let me know. Thank You.
Silene02 (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
remember that to sleep bad because a haunting is not normal, and not acceptable in any case. If you feed this energy it will become worse, and I get a little feeling of "we feel special here" please, don't feed your ego with this tips of things. Is incredible that you didn't do anything when your boys told you what happened. That's intrusion and besides, children can get insomnia because these energies, is not good for them, or you.
Silene02 (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
She may had been a lonely person, etc. But she is not there, her residual energy is there, her consciousness is somewhere else
Silene02 (guest)
-1
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
You are feeding an energy that mustn't be there. Treating that residual energy like a real person is feeding it and is becoming stronger because you give it importance. That's my believe.
CornFlakes (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
I don't know why I have this feeling that she is feeling lonely and frustrated not being able to say what she wants. I kind of get this picture that she is wearing some plain color gown, long sleeves and a simple hair bun, just saying it keeps coming to my mind. Feel really sorry for her that I want to cry. Good wishes to you and your family.
mii_chl (10 posts)
-4
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
thank you for sharing. Forgive me, but this sounds very very worry some. You have given her power in your life. When you first saw her, you didn't demand her to leave. That gave her power in your house. When you went to the bathroom and said hi, you acknowledged her as an equal. That gave her power. When she sang to your children, and you didn't tell her to stop, that gave her dominion over your children. That gave her power. This sounds like it is only going to get worse. I would recommend you get your house cleansed. Normally I would say get a paranormal investigation crew, and if this starts up again, get one. But don't play around. This spirit has gotten a lot of power, be proactive. Get your house cleansed. Be forceful and take it back. As a family, after the cleansing, state this house is yours, and mean it. Don't give her room to live there. Take it back. Don't be kind to her, she won't be to you. Whatever religion you prefer, put some of the iconography in your home. This will boost your belief and inner strength. Sage and salt is going to be one of your best friends. They are both cleansing. Burn the sage in each room, and in the windowsills and doorways put a salt barrier. That will help keep her from coming back. Remember, this world belongs to the living. That is your home. Those are your kids.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+4
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
missy-ryton - first, thank you for sharing your experience with us. Secondly, my guess is that something happened to her while she was alive and she has continued to hold this onto the next life. She may be reliving her bad experience. Perhaps she misses someone who also has passed and cannot find them in the afterlife?

Maybe next time you can try praying for her to cross the light so she no longer has to be earthbound. Pray for Ada to find peace. That's all I can think of... Best of luck!- notjustme
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
What if she is upset about something that you are not aware of within the house? Maybe dealing with one of your children or your husband or even you. Maybe she trying to let you know that something upsetting is going on?
That is my guess. Great story though, and would love to get more updates soon.
GIRLIE ❤
aarushi (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
WOW! I guess you have accepted her because shes never freaked you out or tried to harm you and basically she does not have bad intentions... On the contrary she friendly towards your children and sings nursery rhymes to them... I think you should make use of an EVP and try and communicate with her... Maybe shes missing something... Maybe be you could just go ahead and help the harmless old lady... Its just a good deed...
Drowning_Sadness (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
First of all, I think it's great that you all have accepted her as a housemate in a way and respect her.

I find it kind of strange that she just recently started crying and acting differently than before. I'm by no means an expert but that doesn't sound residual to me although I could be wrong. I would either speak to a medium or record her like the others have suggested.

Hopefully all is well with your family & Ada!
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
I would also suggest trying to record her, and perhaps taking some pictures to see if he shows up. It is odd that her behaviour has changed, and that this didn't happen until long after you altered her room. The only other possibility I can think is that he is reliving things in her own world. She could have been sad for a while before she passed, and she is re living it. It all sounds residual to me apart from the singing to your children. I don't know if a spirit can be semi residual / conscious?
Ruby_Rose90 (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
Seems she doesn't pay much/any attention to your family she may be residual, enacting out past events and emotions.
Maybe you could try an evp session, seems she doesn't respond when you talk to her leaving a recording device in the bathroom may catch something you wouldn't normally hear. Best of luck.
Libbylou40 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
I'm no expert by any means, but it seems to me that Ada is only vaguely aware of you're existence in the home and has continued residing there in her "space/room" probably much as she did in life. (Of course this is all just a guess.) she may not have realized she is dead until the renovation. Maybe you could find someone or some way to help her cross over. Good luck.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
Poor dear. What do you remember about her room before you altered it? What kind of clothing does she wear? What does she look like? And you're sure nothing else recently changed? It sounds like you should dig into the history of the house.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: