You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Shadow Man Or My Imagination?

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Man Or My Imagination?

 

I live in the UK but my family are originally from Mauritius. My father was born and brought up in Vacoas, and his childhood home has been in the family since my great-grandfather built it in the early 1900s. As a child I remember my father telling my that when my grandfather was dying, he'd often scream in terror in the night, telling everyone that a tall, dark shadow with red eyes was standing over him, watching him sleep. My relatives dismissed his stories on account of his illness (I'm not quite sure what that was). My grandfather himself was only five when my great-grandfather passed away.

For decades that house remained in the family, and as far as I'm aware nobody had seen this shadow man and so, when I visited Mauritius for the first time in 2011 to visit my uncle (living in the same house), my mind was completely at ease. The start of the trip was great, nothing happened for the first two weeks. As it was my first visit, being unaccustomed to the heat, I generally had a window open as I slept.

On the fifteenth or sixteenth night of my visit, I awoke with a start in the middle of the night. I could sense that something was off, but I wasn't quite sure what it was at first. The air had gotten colder, so I got out of bed and went to shut the window. As I was getting ready to get back into bed, I glanced at the open doorway. There, to my horror, stood a tall, dark, shadow-like figure. It didn't move or make any sounds, it just stood there. I don't recall seeing eyes at all, but I had a feeling it was staring at me. I froze, too afraid to move. After what seems like hours, the figure seemed to just fade away. I jumped straight into bed and shut my eyes, praying for daylight.

This is the only experience that I personally have had with the paranormal. I don't know what that shadow man was, or if it had any connection with the shadow man that terrorised my great-grandfather. After that night it never visited me again, and upon quizzing as many relatives as I could, it became apparent that I was the only one to have seen it. All I can really say is that despite it not doing or saying anything, it seemed to give off a terrifying, menacing vibe. Any suggestions as to what it might've been would be greatly appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shab45, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mysmarple (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-29)
Shab45, I too have seen a shadow,but, I have always believed my mind was playing tricks on me, even though it was completely black, I saw what I thought was a long coat and a hat like 50's detectives wore. I also thought I saw the figure actually lean against the inside of the door, crossing his ankles and had his head leaning into his hand. I remember thinking if you closed your eyes things you think you see will go away. It didn't so I was so scared I just closed me eyes and somehow went to sleep. Now, of course, I know it was only my iminagination,but, as a child it was scary. Also thought I saw twice what I thought was my cousin as a white figure, but,again, I know it was only my iminagination. The mind is powerful and cannot be fully understood. 😁 😁 😁
Katfromthepast22 (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-27)
Hmmm very puzzling indeed. It could have just been your mind playing tricks on you (as mentioned by Griff84 and Jake141) or it could have really been the shadow man that your grandfather saw. Were you really close with your grandfather? Were you similar to your grandfather? That could be the reason (if it is real) the shadow man came to visit you.
Jake141 (3 stories) (27 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-27)
I agree with Griff84,
It could quite happily been your mind playing tricks on you.
But if this continues to happen on separate occasions, please post another story telling us more, as you it could just as easily been something paranormal.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-24)
Hi Shab45, welcome to YGS.

First of all, the obvious thing to say is it could have been your half asleep mind playing tricks, making objects out of the dark, especially with the lack of features, perhaps you saw it as your subconscious was aware of the events from the time your grandfather saw it?

I don't doubt you saw what you claim you saw, I'm just trying to think of logical explanations of what it could have been. I have no doubt it was a frightening and unnerving experience.

Thanks for your post

😊
Shab45 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-23)
It was a moonlit night, and judging from my position in the room and the position shadow man, it couldn't possibly have been my shadow. I had considered that fact. Then there's the height and build difference (it was very tall and slim) and insanely dark. I initially believed it was my tired eyes struggling to adjust but based on the length of time it remained there, that couldn't have been possible either.
101crazy (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-23)
ok this is an obvious answer butit may have been YOUR shadow simple and as it got darker you coldnt see it

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: