You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Rakandhar

Real Ghost Stories

Rakandhar

 

I am currently pursuing my degree in a government college in Goa. Ever since I have started doing my course, I have been residing at the hostel, and will continue my stay here for another four years.

Let me brief you all about my hostel before I get onto the main part of the story. The building has four floors. And I stay on the topmost floor of the building, from where one can get a beautiful view of the city and the windows of my room open into the backyard where trees and all sorts of plants are grown. The backyard almost touches the edge of the road.

It was the season of rains the time I had shifted to the hostel. So the windows shook a lot and made loud screeching sounds as the rain drops hit the window pane, the sounds that the lizards create, and the birds crying in the middle of the night did create a little scary ambience, such that my roommate never did like to spend the night alone.

Days later, the windows were repaired. Thereafter neither the windows shook nor the sounds were heard that the windows earlier produced, though the sounds the lizards made continued.

Then it was one night, all of a sudden, say maybe at about 11pm, I could distinctly hear the loud barking of the dogs in the neighbourhood. Out of curiosity I went to the window to see but nothing could catch my sight. It was then when I could hear a sound as if someone was tapping a stick on road, and the sound seemed to pass by. Though I had focused my eyes on the road, I couldn't really see what the dogs seemed to bark at. It continued until the stick hit the road almost 4-5 times until everything seemed so silent again.

For a minute I shrugged the thought off, thinking it to be my imagination. But the next night the same thing could be heard again, the dogs barking, followed by the sound which seemed to be like someone who passed by while tapping the stick on the road at the same time. Since then everyday these same things are heard. Even as I am writing this, I can still hear the sounds.

When I asked my roommate if she could hear the same, she said yeah even she could hear at times. Upon discussing with my friends about this, they say that in Goa every village or city has a protector known as the "Rakandhar" who roams around the village protecting it.

According to my friends its the "Rakandhar's passing by" that I hear often.

As the months passed by, I grew used to hearing all this. It can be heard at around between 11pm to 2am.

Rakandhar is believed to be the Holy Ghost who protects the place. And every village, city is protected.

Now, whenever I hear the dogs growling at such time, I know what to expect to hear after it.

Other hauntings by chelseylobo

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, chelseylobo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mac_Barbie93 (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-17)
[at] brenttan what he meant to say was that the houses have door frames but not doors.:)
brenttan (64 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-26)
If there are no doors in the houses, how do the people get in or out? I am a chinese man from Malaysia. I have always been interested in the supernatural and the land of India!
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-06)
Yeah in tamilnadu too its called village protector or guardians and once I had a dream of such guardian protector who guided me to his small temple ie directions etc which I will publish it here soon.
Manjit_singh (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-22)
This is known in diffrent names at different places some places as rakshandars but majorly known as gramdevta. I too have heard many things about them.
tanscaredofghosts (3 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-28)
Hey chelseylobo,
Your story was really nice, you gave nice expalnation. I have heard many stories of Rakhandar in my my native place, which is in Konkan, a famaous coastal part of Maharashtra. It is even said that still rakhandar gaurds our village.
Thank you for your story.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-22)
(at) Chelseylobo thanks for your answer.

(at) allesgute I have also seen in shani shinganapur people's home do not have door.

Its a good but little strange. 😲
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-22)
It is apparently said that these protectors patrol the boundaries of the village at night. Another interesting thing I want to share, and of which most Indians are aware, is the Shani temple at Shingnapur in Maharashtra. Apparently all the houses in this village have no doors as it is believed that Lord Shani (God Saturn) patrols the area himself and prevents robberies or any other crime. I have seen this for myself. Houses there DO NOT have doors.
chelseylobo (4 stories) (26 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-21)
[at] Sheetal, Rakandhar is a local term for someone who provides "Rakshan" or "protection".
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-21)
And by 'original man' I mean the spirit of the supposedly first man of the tribe/village. He is the protector, and not any evil being. You'll only have to worry if you happen to come across this guy at night. He might just give you a whack for loitering around late at night. I hope that clears up things a bit here:)
allesgute154 (3 stories) (254 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-21)
Chelseylobo, I think I know what you're talking about. Villages in Konkan and Goa have this tradition. Each village has a spirit guardian called by different names. I think what you meant to say here is 'rakhan dar' which means somebody who provides 'rakshan' or protection. I'm from Goa myself. If you observe in Goan temples like Mangueshi, there are tiny temples in the temple complex other than the main temple. One of them is dedicated to the 'mool purush' or the 'first/original' man of the tribe or village. People, on certain days of the month, offer him beedis (cigarette) and food to appease him so that he can protect the village from harm. I have heard of many stories from people who claim to have heard the stick of this 'night watchman' at night and during the witching hours. Apparently, people found loitering around at these times have also been at the receiving end of these sticks;)
Bliss006 (6 stories) (49 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-21)
I have heard about this, actually we had one in our area where I grew (the infamous D'souza Chawl in Mahim, Mumbai), a lot of new visitors when out at night have claimed to have seen this entity standing under a fig tree which is next to a well.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-21)
Strange I never heard anything like this... Nice story...
Is there any meaning in name of rakandhar (may be in local language)? 😕
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-04-20)
chelseylobo: that is an interesting and reassuring belief of the people of Goa.

My skeptic and, sometimes, cynical self would go and check the street in the middle of the night trying to see if this Rakandhar is not an old man on the flesh and blood walking with the help of a cane and roaming the streets of the neighborhood. 😲

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: