You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleep Paralysis: The Rotting, Black Figure

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Paralysis: The Rotting, Black Figure

 

Last year was the first, and so far only, experience I have ever had in regards to Sleep Paralysis. I am not quite sure exactly what I think of Sleep Paralysis, at least when it comes to paranormal events. I would say that I believe most Sleep Paralysis stories are simple neurological mishaps. Although, I can very easy see a connection with some of these Sleep Paralysis events, and the paranormal.

I have posted this story on various different forums, and had some interesting responses. One of the interesting comments was from an individual who believes that all Sleep paralysis stories have some sort of paranormal relation to them; which I find nothing wrong with. Their analysis of the situation - due to some of its traits - was that it could have been some sort of vision of a future paranormal event.

Nevertheless, I found this view to be quite interesting, and am wondering how all of you will interpret this. Here is my story.

About one year ago (sometime in the year 2013), I was sleeping on my back within my bed - which is a position I almost never sleep in - but, for some reason I felt it was comfortable that night.

I live in a four-level split house. When you enter, you're greeted by a nice open concept living room, attached to a dining room and a kitchen. You can see two sets of stairs from the entrance, both next to the dining room and the backdoor. One of the stairs heads down to the lower level, which has two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a third set of stairs which goes down to the finished basement. The second set of stairs exiting the dining room goes upwards, to a small plateau overlooking the house below. Up there is also a door to the master bedroom, and another door for the bathroom.

The bedroom was where I sleep. A nice, spacious room. The bed facing the closet. The door on the right, and a large window to the left.

From the bed - and with the door open - you can only see the door for the upstairs washroom, and part of the staircase that leads up to these rooms.

It was around 8:00am, and I had awoken. Yet, it wasn't a normal type of awakening. My eyes were already open, and my vision simply disintegrated from a dream-like state, to reality. My fiance was sleeping next to me, and I could see her with my peripheral vision. However, I was unable to move my eyes at all. My arms, legs and head felt as though they were still 'asleep'. I was unable to move any part of me. In fact, I don't even recall breathing. My eyes were simply fixated directly towards the end of our bed.

Suddenly, yet slowly, I began to see a dark figure rise up from the end of the bed. It slowly ascended; black, drenched hair, over a female body (very similar to the exact image of 'The Ring' girl; but more close to an age of 18-20).

I couldn't make out it's appearance at all, as her hair was covering her face. Knotted and wet, as if she just came from rotting in some kind of bog. I tried to grab my fiance, as it was so vivid that I thought it was real, but I couldn't move, and felt helpless. I was so paralyzed that I couldn't even shift my eyes, so I was forced to stare at this creature, who was staring right back at me. Breathing, but not moving. I had to use my peripheral vision for everything.

My daughter, 16 years old, came up the stairs and into the washroom. I attempted to scream out her name, so she could run away for her safety, as this creature seemed very dark and dangerous. My paralyzed state did not allow me to make any noise; and so my daughter closed the bathroom door, and didn't hear me.

The creature didn't even flinch to the sounds and movement of my daughter.

That very instant is when I realized, "I'm dreaming!"

I don't have a daughter (I'm 24). Once I came to that realization, I instantly became totally conscious and without paralysis. The creature vanished, and I felt quite relieved.

That is all I have, for this particular experience. What are your thoughts on the matter. Do you believe I should be concerned, or prepare in any sort of way for the future? Do you find this to be a sign or vision of some sort? Or do you believe that this could have really been a paranormal experience, and the only 'dream-like' part was that of having a daughter?

Perhaps even something other than those events?

The only reason I am considering this incident as a possible paranormal one is due to my fiance's continued relation with very dark, evil entities. In this Sleep Paralysis event, however, whatever it was, was very focused on me.

Other hauntings by M1cr0b1al

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, M1cr0b1al, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kirito (2 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-07-05)
when that happens to me somehow I just break though the paralysis and then I punch them, every time I have a dream or facing a ghost in real life I just somehow be able to beat them up.
mystery1 (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
sometimes I have scary dreams but nothing has happened I think you will be fine and you had a scary dream 😊
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-21)
Microbial... The experience you describe is identical in structure to my own two experiences. Uncanny. Yeah, there is something in it. The connection between the dream state and the paralysis. I wonder if the astral bodies defence is less effective while sleeping? I wonder if the paralysis happens because a person is left open? The scientific explanation is similar to a small seizure. The way, both times, that I broke the paralysis was to visualise. The second time it happened, I sense the spirit was curious and wanted to be close (I submitted it as a story but it didn't make the cut) the paralysis was brief and the overall experience not too frightening. My first experience, was in a word, terrifying. The spirit in the room absolutely radiated malevolence. I couldn't even scream. It was so strong. I will never, ever forget how that moment felt. It let me go only when I visualised a pentacle of light spreading out over me like a net, from my solar plexus. It had me by the throat and the chest, my whole body was humming with this vibration and my ears were ringing. Just pure animal terror. When it let me go, now this is the really strange part, I screamed my lads name, three times. He was in the next room and didn't hear me. I was too frightened to move, because I could still feel the entity in the room. Finally, after perhaps a minute of being scared stiff, I got up, bolted for the door and crashed straight into him in the hallway. Right at that moment, he'd had an icky feeling something was up and came to check on me. He switched on the light to the room, and a black shape flew out the window. We both saw it. The whole drape fluttered and it was a still night. Now. If anyone has a scientific explanation for THAT? I'd love to hear it. (if anyone has the audacity to say I imagined it because I was half asleep, I will hunt you down and personally smack you around some...lol)
M1cr0b1al (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-12)
Hmmm, interesting. As much as I would like to experience Sleep Paralysis at will, and more often, I certainly do not want it to become problematic.

Interesting, too, that our dreams contained a similar looking 'thing'.

I'll take all of your suggestions into consideration. Thanks for your reply!

Although, if you think that the being you saw in your Sleep Paralysis was actually a ghost, then wouldn't that mean you never experienced Sleep Paralysis in the first place?

PS: REM sleep occurs every night, multiple times during the night. The reason why Sleep Paralysis occurs is because the chemicals in the brain that are associated with REM sleep, and allow a person to have a "Normal Paralysis" during sleep (to prevent the person from acting out their dreams physically), are accidentally introduced despite still being conscious.

So a person experiencing Sleep Paralysis has had those chemicals release, thus paralyzing them, yet still conscious.
Sros (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-12)
That is very odd. I had the same dream. I was in sleep paralysis and she came from the bottom of my bed and slowly crawled on me. I closed my eyes as she climb on top of me and she made a sound so loud it sounded like nothing but ringing in my ear. When I was finally brave enough to open my eyes all I saw was a transparent figure moving in a fast motion from left to right. Same girl you describe. White ragged clothes to her knees. Wavy black hair from her late teens to early 20s. Whats also funny is that I was also sleeping on my back which I rarely do because I go into rem everytime. If you want it to stop bothering you, sleep touching your significant other. Doesnt matter if its hugging or crossing of the legs. If you want to revisit that dream, iether sleep facing opposite of your girl or facing the ceiling. As your relax trying to sleep, repeatedly ask yourself, am I asleep, am I asleep? Most people don't know when they fall asleep. So if you force yourself to try to sleep and at the same time you try to find that that time when you do fall asleep, you will enter sleep paralysis. It will feel like a funny warped feeling and light pressure holding you down. Then you go into sleep paralysis. Try to move to confirm you are in rem. What happens next will be a frightening experience. Different everytime. I do warn you if you do it to often you will start to do it unintentionally. If you experience sleep paralysis and you want it to stop, you can simply change your sleeping position when you break out of it. I just turn the other way. I have realized this woman or entity followed me from a cemetery. Its a long story that deals with playing hide and seek late in the cemetery during the late night a.m with my friends. Is there a way you might have possibly attract her? This happened when I was 23 and I'm now 27. She followed me for 2 years and I haven't seen her since. Just typing this sends chills down my back and gives me goosebumps. I wish the best of luck to you! Btw, she never harmed me.
M1cr0b1al (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-11)
I did a quick search and found that the same way you can induce Lucid Dreaming and Out Of Body Experiences is pretty much identical to how one would induce Sleep Paralysis as well. Essentially, wake up about 4 hours after going to sleep (when REM sleep is most likely active), stay awake for 30 minutes doing something that activates the mind. Then go back to bed and try to relax while also trying to stay awake at the same time.

I'll give it a shot!

Thank you for the help Samtillie!
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
Hi, I don't know how to induce sleep paralysis, I am not sure if this is possible. Google it haha I google everything! If its possible, be careful.
M1cr0b1al (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-08)
Yes, That was my first inclination as well. Thanks for your input!
ghostfacep (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
I don't believe this to be any sign. Probably just fatigue in some form.
M1cr0b1al (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
Hmmm, I haven't heard about the toe wiggling before, samtillie. Thanks for the tip!

The story posted here is the only experience I have ever had with Sleep Paralysis. Although, I would like to experience it more often. It is very fascinating, despite the negative feelings it involves.

A terrific study opportunity! In my opinion. You wouldn't happen to know how to induce it, would you?
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
Hi, I agree with Nectarvore. If someone is dreaming and suffers sleeps paralysis and they awaken suddenly. You can project what you are dreaming into your reality, but it still isn't real. Anyone who suffers from sleep paralysis can stop the paralysis by wiggling their toes, this will stop the paralysis immediately. I have suffered from sleep paralysis before a couple of times, it can be very scary when people don't know what it is or what is happening to them. Have you not had any experiences since?
Taycaoco (2 stories) (5 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
In the future, when you have a daughter and she reaches her sixteenth birthday, you should be careful. Caution of what, I don't know, but be careful. Your future daughter is in danger, perhaps.
M1cr0b1al (3 stories) (38 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
Thanks for your reply Nectarvore. I have also experienced Lucid Dreaming, and this certainly was not that.

Before the "Sleep Paralysis" occurred, I was actually dreaming. I awoke from that dream, but not like I would normally. Instead of opening my eyes and realizing that I was previously asleep, my eyes were already open and my dream simply 'disintegrated' and evolved into consciousness.

I had, apparently, been sleeping with my eyes open. At least, until the sleep paralysis. My fiance has often seen me sleep with my eyes partially open, so it wouldn't be surprising if this was the case here.

Let me attempt to describe it a bit better.

I was dreaming, my dream fades to black for about a second, and then fades into reality - what I was really seeing and I was entirely conscious that I was previously dreaming (not that I am currently dreaming).

At this point I realize that I could not move at all, to the point that my eyes were fixated where my head was facing. I was slightly propped up against the backboard of the bed, looking forwards. Almost in a sitting-up position, but mostly just my head. So I was looking directly towards the end of my bed, where my feet were. The "Black Figure" then started to crawl up the end of the bed, near my feet.

And so on.

After the incident, everything simply 'disappeared', and I suddenly was able to move again. I never opened my eyes as they were already open.

That is a more detailed description of the occurrence.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
I think the best way, perhaps the only way, to know if this experience holds a paranormal element is to use your instinct. Intuitively you will know. There is a sound scientific explanation for night paralysis, but I don't care what anyone says, the two times this has happened to me, there was without doubt an entity present.
Don't know if the respective entities triggered the experience... Couldve been that I was tuned into them like an arial because of the experience... Not sure. But I am certain there was a paranormal element to my own experiences. Trust your gut.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
I wonder if this is more like a lucid dream experience... There's a theory that if you realise within a dream that you are dreaming, a moment of consciousness, then you can be proactive within your dream. I only managed this once and I think it was a fluke. I've never managed to do it again. Funny that most night paralysis experiences begin with a dream. Often a vivid and visceral scary dream, too. I don't think I've answered your question, but thought I'd chime in...
M1cr0b1al (3 stories) (38 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-05)
Haha, not a problem. I have read a few of your comments now and found it a bit out of character for you to post something like that.

No, she isn't into anything that focuses on the summoning or attraction of evil entities. Rather, she simply naturally draws them to her, unintentionally.

A forgivable misunderstanding 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-04)
M1cr0b1al: Oops, I understand your words better after this last comment; I was under the impression that your fiance was involved in some sort of malevolent stuff that could hurt you.😐
I'm sorry if my comment was offensive, my apologies.
Gee, she is a lucky gal having your support and understanding, not to say your love.
I wish you the best at her side.
M1cr0b1al (3 stories) (38 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-04)
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my story. Although, I find a bit 'odd' that you would suggest that I should leave my fiance, especially over something like a precaution.

Despite this one difference of ours - that being her more in-tuned perspective in regards to the paranormal - we are impossibly similar. I am afraid that I cannot accept your suggestion. I would much rather be tormented by malicious entities for the rest of my existence, than to leave her. Especially to deal with this burden on her own.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-03)
M1cr0b1al: this is a very interesting experience.
Normally I would say that you shouldn't worry, but IF you are aware of your fiance's continued relation with very dark, evil entities; I would suggest for you to be careful, you do not know for sure if some of this negativity is turning its attention toward you. 😨

I'm not going to give you any paranormal advice but, like a mother, I can not help but to tell you to think trice the need to associate with a person like her.
I know it is not my business, just be careful, please. 😐

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: