You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Thing In The Shed

Real Ghost Stories

Thing In The Shed

 

When I was a younger child I was completely sure there was something living in my shed.

We live in a fairly nice neighbourhood, but our house had a somewhat sketchy past. The former owner was a drug addict and frequently invited his friends (also drug addicts) to come over and get high. Years after he went to prison and we moved in, we'd still find needles scattered around the backyard. The house was in horrible condition when my parents found it, and was very cheap. My dad owns a company that builds houses for a living and decided he would buy it as a fixer upper.

The house was a thousand times better by the time he was done and is now just as nice as the other houses on our street. However, for many years, he left the shed in the corner of the backyard alone.

The shed was a dingy little thing, painted in an off-white colour that was almost all peeled off, revealing half rotten planks of timber underneath. The window was smashed to pieces and there was no lighting installed. Basically, it was the kind of place you'd expect something creepy to happen. Still, we stored all our stuff in there and whenever I wanted to get my bike or outdoor toys I'd have to venture in.

Even as very young child, the place made me feel very uneasy. My skin would prick and often I would dart in with my eyes half closed, grab whatever I wanted and bolt out. It had a weird feel to it, as if there was something in there that wanted you to leave, and strangely a little sad, as well. Even just looking at it from my balcony made me shiver. My siblings felt the same, and my little sister wouldn't even go near the thing. My mother asked my father several times to fix it up but for awhile he declined, not citing any particular reason. I often wonder if it was because he sensed it, too.

The experience that to this day makes me steer clear of that shed happened when I was 10, a few years ago. It was in the early evening when I went in to get my sand buckets, intending to play in the sandpit until my mother called me in (I was young for my age). The buckets were at the far side of the shed and so I couldn't just grab it and leave as I usually did. Hesitantly, I wandered in and got my buckets. I turned around and the door was closed.

I swear to God, I did not close that door; I would never have, considering how scared I was of it. I started to panic, as the door doesn't open from inside the shed (stupid design.) I pounded on the door, crying and shrieking, but nobody came to let me out. I continued doing this for around 6 or 7 minutes as it got darker, and I was terrified. Suddenly, I felt something behind me. I could feel it shifting, and I thought I heard it make grunting sounds, low but somehow sounded painful, like someone was in intense pain and too weak to make much noise. I didn't dare turn around; I was frozen like a rabbit in terror.

Then the noises were all around me and sounded alternatively young and old, female and male. I had been frozen still but I started trying to bang the door down. I was too scared to look behind me into the dark. I clutched at the window but it was still broken and I cut my hand a little. The groaning gave way to crying and what I think were words, but I couldn't understand at all (looking back, it sounded German or some other similar language.) I was hysterical at this point and screaming at the top of my lungs.

Finally, the door swung open and my dad pulled me out. He was furious, asking why I hadn't called to him and why was I hiding from him as he had looked in and hadn't seen me. I guess he assumed I was hiding in the corner or something, because he was the angriest I'd ever seen him. He dragged me inside, where my mom and siblings were gathered around the tabe, my mom's eyes puffy and red and my brothers and sister looking scared.

Turns out, I had been there for an hour or more. It felt quite short to me, but that doesn't really startle me because when I get panic attacks time is a little fuzzy. What scares me is they couldn't find me at all, and my dad had peeked in the window I was standing right in view of. They should have been able to see me, but they didn't. Of course, they didn't believe me. My mom balked when I said I heard a voice, but as I went on I think she chalked it up to extreme fright hallucinations from being locked in, and didn't investigate.

I never went back in that shed, even after my dad renovated it. Seeing it now makes me feel literally sick to my stomach. It's oddly less of a scary feeling now than a very, very sad feeling. I know something horrible happened in that shed, though what exactly I have no clue. I would like to know, but I doubt anything will ever reveal itself.

Sorry that was long! But I had to get it off my chest.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sara-hann, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-20)
I'd leave the shed alone - whatever it was, you don't want it following you into the house.

If druggies were messing around with supernatural mumbo jumbo, it probably would have happened in the house, not the shed. But you never know.

Germanic voices probably indicates 19th century or turn of the 20th century immigrant residual energy. Someone, or a few people, probably got sick (moaning/groaning) and passed on the property or nearby. I have no idea of course, just a theory.

Maybe keep your stuff in the garage so you don't have to worry about it. I'm sure your fear amplified everything, I would have been scared too!
MitoTakatori (49 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-02)
What a really scary event! I totally feel the shivers when I am reading this.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-02)
(at) Sara_Hann excellent story and very horrible at the same time. I am agree with the other posters here. It's very nice that you didn't got hurt and the ghost not followed you.

God bless you!
Skinwalker68 (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-01)
The theory of negative energy/spirits attaching themselves to drug addicts seems to be a valid one. I am a former addict and had paranormal experiences in places where use was prevalent, even if there had been no death in the place. It was suggested to us at the time that we were attracting negative entities, but, of course we ignored the advice. But that may be a story I should write. During active addiction, we seemed to be a magnet for them.
Sara-hann (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
Thank you for all your comments! I'm going to try everything suggested, and ask my father if there's any other questionable history associated with our house. If there's anything of interest, I'll update it here c:
johnnycashmuse (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
Sara_Hann,
My Heart goes out to you. What you experienced sounds to me like the worst of all of the worst nightmares for me combined and happening while I am awake. At age 10, its no wonder you were paralized with fear. I think Id be more worried if you didn't have a reaction like that or a similar one. I would have been myself.

Some of this haunting I feel maybe an echo or a residual haunting. Other parts of it could be a intelligent haunting because it seems to me that there Is more than one spirit/residual in that shed. You said that they (some of them) sounded like they spoke German? Is there any way you can do any research on the past of the house. I know you know about the last owner/s. Can you try to find out about earlier ones? Maybe someone who had the place earlier than than had German speaking members and maybe one of them had an accident in the shed or for some other reason died in that shed. And they are trying to reach out to someone to find out what happened to them.

Other spirits could be that like FEMAELSTROM said have been drawn in there by that last owner, the drug addict as they often drawn in bad energies and bad spirits which take great pleasure in making their lives worse (I was addicted to Oxy after a car accident fractured two vertibrae. But I'm clean and been off them 5yrs now. I wasn't proud of it that's for sure). Bad spirits can often see people like this as easy targets. And the former owner when high may have done other things like used ouijia boards or other things to get a laugh (as high people I used to know did).

All I can suggest is that you do a Smoke Smudging inside and outside the shed and if you like your home. I make and dry my own from an old Family Recipe that my Grandparents used. You can make them yourself if you Like or can get them from some new age or health stores. I use a Mix of Sage, Lemon Cats Tongue Plant Leaves, Peppermint Cress and Dried Lavender (Bundle it all together and Tie it up with Thick Twine or Cotton Artists Rope). If you like I feel it helps to recite some Bible passages of yout choice (Or your religions equivelant). You can also sprinkle Peppermint and Safe oil across the door frames and wipe it around door frames this is an Old Creole way to block bad energies and Spirits. Salt across the threshold seems to work too or fine river cleaned sand (Outside only as it is messy).

I hope you can get this sorted out. So you can feel a little more comfortable in your own place. At home it should be your castle... Not a place your scared to be.

And there is nothing wrong with playing in a sandpit at 10... I did it myself (Mostly with younger Sibs an d cousins). 😆

JACQUIE
spiritscout (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
I was thinking perhaps someone was killed in that shed, my opinion anyway. Perhaps a german person... I am defiantly not an expert on spirituality. I have my own ideas and opinions... Maybe you can't trust me.

Spiritscout
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
Google smokeless smudging? Someone recommended that on here once for a woman who was pregnant and couldn't use sage. I know, right? Once I smudged with lavender, as a teen, and my mother burst in saying she was appalled that I was smoking marijuana with guests in the house...parents. Ha
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
I think your fear may have been intense enough to 'trigger' a residual haunting...what's more the 'playback' may have been strong enough it 'fogged up' the present making it hard for your Dad to see you through the window. The energy of your fear/playback of the residual both ceased when your Dad opened the sheds door.

Just my thoughts... I have a cleansing/shielding technique posted on my profile... Please feel free to try it.

Respectfully,

Rook
Sara-hann (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
[at] Nectarvore

Wow, that's a really interesting theory! I would try things like incense and sage but my parents don't trust me to use anything you need to burn xD Though I will look up other cleansing techniques because the idea really intrigues me. Thanks for the advice!
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
Wow... That is intense. I had a similar experience,... When I was physically attacked and paralysed by an entity, I was screaming out my boyfriends name and he didn't hear me in the next room. My theory is that a field is created that can distort both noise and time. When holding circle (I am a lapsed Wiccan:)) time passed far more slowly during ceremony. I haven't figured out what this is, it must be some kind of ripple in the time space continuin...lol...enough metaphysics. If it is not a malevolent or intelligent haunting, with its own will or intent, it's possible that it is culmination, a concentration as such, of all that junkie chaos energy from the last guy who lived there. I have felt similar energy where people who dabbled in black magick lived. Also, the previous dwelling of an untreated mentally ill person can create a vortex that seems to develop a life and will of its own. My theory is that it is all just energy... The untrained unconscious mind can collect it, manifest it, without trying. It can also be dispersed, exorcsied as such, by intent. If I were you, definitely stay out of there, however, burn some white sage inside the place. Place it, when smouldering, in a heat proof vessel. Leave it in there until it has done its work and burned down. Kind of like those insect sprays that you set in a room an leave... Only a psychic one...lol... Stand at the door and push it inside with a broom if you must hahaha... Also, put a circle of either holy water or rock salt around the outside. Make sure you cleanse yourself psychically after doing this, and protect yourself before you begin... Visualise white light and pray if it helps you to feel safe and to focus. Have a shower when you finish, scrub your skin down with some rock salt. Frankinscense oil is really beautiful for this purpose also. Bright blessings:)
Sara-hann (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
[at] lady-glow

Thank you! ^_^

I'm definitely not ruling out it being a result of my panic attack, though it was much more intense than any I had before or have since experienced. I hope that's all it is!

Actually, the aunt and uncle of the man who lived in our house live very nearby, and my dad was friends with their son, so I do know a little bit. I don't think anyone ever died actually inside the house, but one man died on life support after the guy who owned my house pushed him off the balcony on some crazy drug trip (the reason why he went to jail.) It's possible he's the reason, but I can't explain the German or hearing the voices of kids, as well.

[at] Femaelstrom

I wouldn't be surprised if it was linked to all the drugs, as it really does have such a negative and hopeless feeling around it, which comes with addicts. My guess would be the entities, as no one really died at my house, though God knows what happened in that shed. I'll definitely look into the cleansing thing, as I'd like to be able to go 10 feet near my shed again.

Thank you for your advice c:
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
Sara-hann: welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing this interesting and so well written story.

I can imaging that creepy and foreboding shed, but I'm not sure if you had a paranormal experience in that place.
Most children are afraid of the dark and you admit to suffer panic attacks, perhaps your perception of 'standing right in view' is not what really happened.
Do you know the history of the house other than the previous owner being a drug addict? Do you know if somebody died in the house? Real state agents usually inform potential buyers about deaths occurred in the houses they sell.

It would be a good idea to cleanse the shed according to your family's religious beliefs in case there is really a ghost in the shed.
I'm glad you didn't get hurt during this experience.
Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-30)
People who choose to use mind-altering substances open doorways to darkness & despair. What you MIGHT have sensed were either entities that attach themselves to addicts, spirits of people who have passed-over from drug-use, or spirits of people trapped by some other type of negativity.

What a terrify experience for you & horrifying existence for them. Perhaps you can find some skilled in freeing & cleansing that space from bad juju.

Good luck in your quest.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: