You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Shadow Of The Family

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow Of The Family

 

I was around 16 at the time of my experience, and many people within my family had already had an encounter with some sort of paranormal activity. For example according to my brother one night he was awoken by a strong icy gust of wind, so strong that he was unable to lift his head off his pillow or open his eyes, however claiming to be brave and unaffected by it, he said he told it to 'go away' and went back to sleep.

My auntie had also been effected by some sort of unexplainable thing, she would hear a voice talking to her on rare occasions and she would answer it only for a split second later to realise she was in fact alone in her home at the time. Pictures would be knocked off walls and the fireplace and her children's toys would start to play in another room with nobody in there. My family all however claimed that it did not bother them, and as much as I was intrigued by their stories I was still skeptical as I had not experienced anything of the sort myself.

It was around November time when my experience happened just after my 16th birthday. I had been over at a friend's house and did not return home until around 1:30 in the morning. I let myself in, made a drink and headed upstairs to bed as everyone else in my household was already asleep. I received a phone call from my friend to make sure I got home o.k. And we began to chat about the events of the night. I was sat on my bed talking away and at the bottom of my bed I had a chest of draws with a small wooden mirror stood on top, the mirror was angled in a position which allowed me to see onto the landing (corridor).

I will never know what drew my attention to look into the mirror from my bed, but when I did I saw a black shadow go across the landing into my brother's bedroom. I was completely startled but at the same time did not feel scared. I was still at the time on the phone to my friend so used her as my safety valve to encourage myself to be brave and investigate! I got up from my bed and went onto the landing to which there was no sign, I then opened my brothers bedroom door and again nothing. The shadow that I saw had completely vanished.

I have never seen the shadow again, however my brother still complains that things happen in his bedroom which I now 100% believe as I seen the shadow go into his bedroom. He now suffers from sleep paralysis which he has never suffered from in his full 20 years of life. Although there is medical proof of what causes sleep paralysis, it's hard not to think that the legends and stories associated with it, doesn't have something to do with the paranormal being which is in his room.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lornadixon95, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Jennilou87 (6 stories) (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-20)
[at] lornadixon, I meant do a bit of research on your town/city. For example, the city near where I live predates the Romans. You could find out something that you never thought of. Or maybe even just give you an idea of what you're dealing with.

Best wishes

Jennilou 😊
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
lornadixon95,

Interesting story, I have never dealt with sleep paralysis but I have dealt with dark entities, if your brother feels that the entity means harm and is the cause then it is best that he seeks help.

Whitewolf,
lornadixon95 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-21)
Hi jennilou, I have never looked at the past of my home but from what I hear it isn't very old, maybe 70 years at most and I have lived here all of my life and my nana has lived here for over 35 years. I don't know who previously owned the house or if they have encounted any experience like we have.

All of the activity seems to happen within my brothers bedroom, not so long ago he got up to go to work and I was in my room getting ready for college and I heard a loud thud. My brother came into my room from the bathroom where he had been brushing his teeth and said to me did you go in my room and throw my phone on the floor? I told him I hadn't moved so he put his phone back on his chest of draws and went back into the bathroom to finish brushing his teeth and again I heard another loud thud and the same thing happened again, my brother phone was at the other side of his room on the floor.

He suffers from sleep paralysis almost every night now and has told me that we he gets it he feels like there is an evil presence in his room. Many people claim to have that feeling when they get it but I have never had it. As I said in my story it's just difficult to not think that whatever is in his bedroom has something to do with his sleep paralysis as he has never suffered from it in his entire life until he had experiences with whatever it is that is in his room.

I will keep everyone posted if anything else happens. Sorry for the late replies too guys I've been busy all week and weekend and haven't had chance to get on here.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
hazeleyes (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
Do you know the medical proof of sleep paralysis? If you do then please tell me because I don't think sp has anything to do with something medical at all.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
lornadixon - I think, if I were you, in this case I would be inclined to think the same thing. If your brother had never experienced sleep paralysis before you saw the shadow, and then started experiencing it after that, it's hard not to jump to that conclusion.

Personal opinion here 😉 We (by we, I mean scientists as well as us lowly non-scientist types LOL), can study this field as long and often as we are able and still not know everything there is to know about it. And just when we think we know something, I think maybe, just maybe, we're proven wrong 😆

Thanks for sharing your family's, and your own, experiences.
Jennilou87 (6 stories) (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-18)
Hi,

Please excuse the expression, but chilling!

Have you had anymore experiences? Personally, that shadow would have creeped me out, but at the same time sounds fasinating!

Do you know the history of your house or area you live in?

Would love to hear about any more experiences you've had.

Regards,

Jennilou

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: