You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Northern Luzon Expressway, Philippines

Real Ghost Stories

The Northern Luzon Expressway, Philippines

 

II'm an American of Filipino descent, Fil-Am if you will, and in 1995 I was in medical school in Quezon City, Philippines, Having grown up in California and being around other Filipinos, going to the Philippines for school was not a big shock to me. I quickly acclimated, bought a car and was exploring the country in my free time. I got into a relationship with a girl that hailed from San Fernando, Pampanga. She also studied in the Metro Manila area and on occasional weekends she'd tell me she's going home. No need to drive her, she'd take a bus.

One Friday night, after a long week of school, me and this girl are out on the town. We get a call from her parents about a family emergency and she needs to get home immediately. We quickly spring into action and I decide to drive her myself. It's about an hour and a half drive from the Metro Manila, doing quick calculations I estimated I would be back home well after 1 am. We got to her home about midnight and after small talk with her father, my girlfriend and her father kind of suggested I make my way home. No big deal, it was getting late and I've never driven this area before.

As I was driving about 60-70 MPH south on the Northern Luzon Expressway, maybe 20 minutes into the drive, with me as the only headlights on the road and me getting a little on edge with HEIGHTENED senses, I see a pair of legs RUN from the right to left directly in front my car. I swerve, skid and hit the legs hard. I mean BANG! I immediately pulled over. My heart is racing, I'm shaking and I'm gripping the steering wheel. WHAT DO I DO? I just killed a guy! After what seemed an eternity, I decided I better go check on the guy. I open my door and I step out. The second I step out, I get this strange feeling... Like I didn't belong here and danger was imminent. Immediately, I said to myself, "get back in the car and get out of here" I get back in my car and I'm shaking like a leaf. On my drive I'm too scared to look at the passenger seat or my rear view mirror for fear of seeing something or someone hitching a ride in my car.

On my drive, I'm trying to process what happened. I know for a fact I saw skinny legs, red shorts and flip-flops. I know I heard a bang, I know I skidded a short distance. I couldn't tell you what the guy's torso was wearing because I don't remember seeing one. One can easily contribute that to the edge of the lighted zone in the headlights, but I saw these legs get hit and fly off to the left. Also, why would someone choose to cross the road at this time of night and at the exact second I'm there. He could have easily waited for me to pass then cross the road safely.

Easily, a week goes by and I'm still in a fog about what happened. There was nothing in the newspapers about anyone dying in a hit and run on the Expressway. Cell phones and internet were still in its infancy so my research that way was uneventful. Even trying to research today if there is ghost on this road has proved uneventful.

Telling friends of this encounter has received both scepticism and acceptance; one of my friends had a great point. If I did hit someone with my car at that rate of speed, there would be some kind of damage to my car. My car was damage free.

If anyone knows anything about this NLEX ghost, please comment. It's been racking my brains for almost 20 years now!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Matinee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Blink_Powers (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-20)
Get over with it man. I know you are telling the truth. What kind of person would be out that time of night. If you happen to be the only one running through that road, someone can easily get a good timing to get to the other side of the road. You shouldn't be out there driving at that time of night unless you have someone with you. It can either be elementals trying to ruin your mind or simply just vengeful spirits just randomly trying to get revenge on passing vehicles.
znub_rcb (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-22)
Hi matinee, I believe in you,it's just a ghost of someone who maybe died there... Been driving for almost a decade and just few months ago while driving in commonwealth avenue at the speed of around 50kph, I noticed two pairs of legs, of two men, just from knees to feet, crossing that very wide avenue with several lanes, around three meters away from my car's front bumper. That was another few meters away from the flyover which is located at the center of this wide avenue, it disappeared after I saw them, in short they did not fully crossed in front of my car... I just shrugged the incident off because I knew those legs were not from an alive human being, I can feel sometimes, hear sometimes, can communicate to a soul through dreams, but I haven't been to a face to face encounter with the unknown... I just concluded that maybe an accident happened there with the two men that claimed their lives...
Matinee (1 stories) (1 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-07-30)
I am the writer of this story. Reading the replies were a bit disappointing, almost accusatory of some kind of criminal act on my part.
I'm saddened due the fact I've held on to this story for so long with hopes of finding similar incidents on this road, and not to be branded a careless driver or, worse, a callous human-being.

Just to let you know, there is a lot of this story regarding the aftermath left out for brevity... Granted, I have the benefit of knowing all the details to this story for 20 years and maybe it didn't translate well into my writing to make the reader truly experience the incident, but it was a ghost and not a living human being.
aysen100 (guest)
-1
10 years ago (2014-07-30)
hey friend. If you hit something hard the car could have been damaged indeed. Let me give you another weird strange feeling. Me and a buddy went to the cemetary. It was an uphill cemetary and you could see the tombstones from the gate. My friend said hes seeing somebody, but I could not. As we turned around a chill of air is behind us. It felt like someone is indeed behind me. The weird thing is my friend felt it too. Of course, we ran because the feeling is too crazy, unnatural.
I guess, each spirit give of different energy.
JaniBoy (2 stories) (17 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
Omg! Maybe you really did hit someone. I don't want to add up to your brain racking, but you really should've checked the person out.

Maybe your headlights were only able to catch the legs of that person that is why you didn't see his torso.
When driving late at night especially with high speed (I'm also driving in NLEX and my ave. Speed is around 90 - 100 kph) you are not able to see things clearly.

My apologies, I have no intentions of spoiling your story but it really disturbs me thinking that it might be a real person. Anyway, it's not your fault expressways are meant for vehicles only and people are not allowed to cross.

What you have to do now is to move on, try to forget that incident and just pray for the soul of the peron or ghost on that scary night.

Thanks for sharing your story and God Bless you bro!
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
I am a bit disturbed here because I have to wonder if those legs were attached to a person and that person was struck by your car.

Depending on your car's height and headlights, you would only be able to clearly see the legs of someone at night- especially if they are wearing a dark top.

Damage would be irrelevant depending on where/how they hit.

Did you get a hold of any sort of emergency service, just in case? I realize this was nearly 20 years ago, but it makes me a bit uneasy.

Hopefully, it was a residual sort of haunting that ran in front of you, but it still gives me a disturbed sort of feeling.

Also, that would be a horrible pattern to be stuck in if it was residual: (
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-29)
Bro are you sure that this is a ghost story?... I'm assuming that you didn't see a torso because there wasn't one attached to the legs...?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: