You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Spirit Guide

Real Ghost Stories

Spirit Guide

 

For as long as I can remember, I have had experiences with the "unexplained." I say "unexplained" because everyone has a different opinion, and for the sake of an argument, it is "unexplained."

My first experience was when I was around the age of three or four, and I remember it all too well...

My dad was in The Army and stationed in Germany. My mom, baby sister, and I stayed here at home, and lived in a small house in Summersville WV. My bedroom was straight across the hallway from my mother's, and for the most part, as a three or four year old, I was content sleeping alone, in my own room. (My baby sister's crib was in my mother's bedroom.) As I awoke one night, heading to the bathroom, tossing back the covers, and sliding to edge of the bed, I looked toward my doorway, stopped in my tracks, and froze. What I saw literally petrified me. I couldn't move. I was so scared that if I moved, this "thing" would hear the covers rustling, and it would look at me, and of course, come after me. After what seemed like forever, I had made my way back under my covers, (where I was safe), and decided my best bet was to just pee the bed, rather than try to get past this "thing" in front of my bedroom door.

It was almost like it was standing guard. It was a tall thin male figure, wearing a long trench coat, and a wide brim hat, pacing back and forth in front of my door, and hands behind his back, and head down. But what REALLY scared me was the fact that even though he was taking steps, his feet weren't touching the floor. He glided back and forth. He never looked up, or at me, but it was terrifying.

Throughout my life, this was only the first experience of many. I am now 56 years old and it's been awhile since any recent experiences, but over the years I have become accustom to these things happening, and they no longer scare me like they use to.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Teresa26651, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-02)
This sounds more like the Hat Man stories than a spirit guide. One theory is that the Hat Man appears as an observer during emotionally charged periods in a person's life. I really can't offer any solid opinions on this entity, but there are several stories on our site and elsewhere on the webbernet that you might find interesting. There are a lot of different ideas on what he is, what his intentions may be, but you don't seem to have suffered any ill effects from seeing him so I think you can rule out some of the stranger theories based on your own experience.
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-01)
I don't think it was a spirit guide, or anything particularly enjoyable for that matter. I only think that because of the terror you seem to have felt. I feel like benevolent things would not invoke such fear.
And, was this a shadow man, by chance? Because there seems to be a LOT of stories about a shadowy man-figure wearing a trench coat and wide brimmed hat, usually frightening whoever it appears to. I wonder if you may have encountered "it", or something like it.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-30)
I am glad that you overcame your fears. That is not an easy thing for many people to do.

It is very bizarre that your children have seen it.

Have you found any photographs, perhaps uncles or grandfathers, that fit the description of what your family is seeing? It's worth digging into some family history books.
Teresa26651 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-30)
No, it wasn't my father... Different build and all. My father did return home. And he lived many years after this happened. I have thought many times it was possibly an older relative... I don't know. What I didn't add is the fact that my now grown daughter, and my grandchildren have also seen this "thing"...But that is another story.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-30)
HiTeresa26651

I enjoyed your story very much. You never said if you father ever returned home from the army. The tall man, dressed as a solider pacing back and forth, I for some reason immediately thought of your father.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: