You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: The Genealogical Spiritboard

Real Ghost Stories

The Genealogical Spiritboard

 

Spirit boards are notorious for having a bad rap. I used one a few times under the direction of my boyfriend\'s mother who blessed us with white light oil before we even got near it. A girlfriend of mine who was very much into green witchcraft got me hooked into mystical capers with her. Our experiments in body field energy had gone well but not so much mirror scrying. Eventually I offered up the idea of a spirit board and we constructed our own.

On this particular occasion we were sitting in the backyard of my home on the grass. It was summer so the mood was quite bright, sunny and not to windy. With our spirit board we looked to find perhaps someone who had died locally but more importantly hoping to find a spirit guide. We contacted a man with an old English name that I assumed was Edwin/Edward. It was not a name I was familiar with already so it was difficult to divine. He seemed to be concerned for his wife Catherine that he wanted to connect with. In some ways I thought perhaps his interest in me was due to the fact I was her reincarnation of some sort. He stayed attached to me in particular through divination for some months.

Eventually we got bored of the spirit board and returned to our other hijinks. It was not until some years later that I ran across some interesting facts. My 3rd great grandparents were Edward and Catherine Jones. Edward had died first and she had been buried originally at a second cemetery across the road from his location. Currently her grave is missing and I think her children may have had her reburied near him. Strange however that the love story ghost so closely resembles my ancestors they had nine living children together and three that didn't survive. The township of Jonesfield near Saginaw is named after them.

I think this is perhaps one of the few examples of using a spirit board safely and getting a positive result.

Other hauntings by Siinda

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Siinda, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Siinda (4 stories) (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-21)
I never realized there were so many questions left about this story but in case anyone is still curious I will answer them. Firstly, the words I used that are seeming to confuse people the definitions are [caper: an activity or escapade, typically one that is illicit or ridiculous.] When this story occurred I was 13 years old and my friends and I were under the training/supervision of their mother a Stregheria tradition witch. Anything we did that she told us not to, or we knew was not necessarily safe would have been a caper.

Were we reckless or perhaps not serious about what we were doing? Reckless certainly since we did not often do any further research before jumping into practice however, we had a real deference for mysticism as well as a genuine drive to learn more.

What type of spirit board and do I mean Ouija? Yes, but Ouija is a specific design that is not what we used. Because we were being trained by a Stregheria we adopted the belief that any material can be used especially organic materials. The layout was fairly simple, the alphabet and simple answers on wood.

As for the question about me 'divining' the spirits name I did not phrase that part very well when I dictated this. The spirit was very quick to give me his initials but he seemed to become confused spelling the whole name. Rather he spelled one and then a second one as if he was deciding between a legal name and a nickname.

Finally the outcome overall, which seems so long ago, it was quite quickly after this that my friends and I were separated by random chance. While I did end up studying these things much more seriously my trio of three teenagers never came back together to work on anything like this. We hold very differing viewpoints today which probably has to do with how our experiences continued apart. One returned to Christianity and the other is a rarely-practicing eclectic Wiccan. I discovered that I had a family culture I didn't know about and needed to relearn which has explained more to me than one school of thought could.
rosemay (52 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-06)
There are many different flavors of Witches, paths, traditions, etc. Witch can mean a whole lotta things. And witch or not, we all like to play within our area of knowledge (capers, hijinks, clearly op has a sense of humor). There are also several kinds of spirit boards. Some are not as detailed as a traditional Ouija.

Siinda, I am curious what sort of spirit board you and your friend made.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
hmmm... Capers as in to leap and play about, perhaps? Also has another meaning, as in 'an illegal or questionable act'. I'm thinking the first meaning as later the OP alludes to 'other hijinks' when the became bored with the spirit board.
Forgive me, Siinda, but it sounds as if you don't take your little forays into the mystical realm very seriously?
When you spoke of needing to 'divine' the spirit's name. I had the same questions as elenora.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
Miracles, when I googled mystical capers in led me to Badger the Mystical Mutt and the Crumpled Capers, which I am just going to assume is a children's book of some sort. I am very tempted to find this book now. 😉 I am still trying to piece together how this account fits with the timeline of the other stories.

OH!
I forgot another question.

Siin,

When you say spirit board, are you not talking about a traditional old style Ouija board? Any spirit board I have ever seen has to do with symbols and letters, though the order of them changes with styles, so that the spirit can communicate to the users. Yet you say you had to assume the names of the spirit speaking to you? Did the board not work? One would imagine that if the board was functioning and it was a friendly spirit, it would spell out what you needed to know.

Or am I missing something?

😨
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
elnoraemily - I had to Google green witchcraft because I'd never heard it phrased like that. Guess I learned something today LOL Oh I also Googled mystical capers and couldn't find anything. Mysterious flower buds? 😆 😆
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
"Mystical capers" - I am going to need some clarification on that one. I have never heard anything like that before.
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
Wow amazing! How all the stories seem to connect so well! Dont you think this is not a "resemblance" but the actual same
People?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: