You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A House That Burned In A Fire

Real Ghost Stories

A House That Burned In A Fire

 

It all started at the small city of Omaha Nebraska. My mom and I had moved there from California because we wanted a new start. At that time my mother was a chef at a local family restaurant and she rented a studio at an apartment complex. She use to work during the day and we only arrived home to sleep. Well one night my mom woke me up in a hurry and told me to call 911, because the neighbour's house was on fire. I was too small to remember the family that lived there, but I remembered they had a son who went to the same school as me. I didn't know what started the fire but I did know that they had lost their son in it.

Two years pass and my mom had gone from chef to head chef at the Hilton hotel and we had a better income. We had moved out of the small single and rented a small one bedroom house. When we finally had the money, we sent some to my older brothers in California so they could join us. Obviously we needed a bigger house, and fast. It always seems like when you are in need of something it's never there but when you don't need it, it automatically shows up. Well a cheap three bedroom house was the thing we needed but couldn't find. Finally after weeks my mom came home with a big smile on her face and told me she put a deposit on a 3 1/2 bedroom house that was in the neighbourhood, the same house that burned down years ago. It was up for rent and nobody stayed long there. Well now we were packing up to live in it.

The first few weeks nothing happened. The house was newly renovated so there were no creaks or cracks. My brother's had arrived and already settled into their rooms, my room was the attic. We were on the second floor and our mom on the bottom. After a while things started happening. TV and stereo would turn on by itself, things disappeared, and things wouldn't be where they were supposed to. My mom blamed us or said we probably forget to turn off our stuff. But more strange things happened! I remember coming home from school, going to the kitchen and making myself a pb&j sandwich and a glass of milk, FULL GLASS. I turned around to put the gallon away and when I turned back, MY CUP WAS EMPTY! Mind you I was home alone! At school I was constantly picked on by our landowner's daughter, Nancy. She kept telling me that I lived in a ghost house and her daddy said we wouldn't last more than five months. I told my mom but she said that as long as she was giving the rent, no one would be kicking us out. But my mom didn't know that things were already happening.

At night you would hear footsteps going up and down the stairs, running sounds in the hallways, even voices. My brother had started getting nightmares of a man in a hat telling him to play with matches. He would tell him to burn the house. The nightmares were rare at first but started to become a frequent thing until he actually did it. If it wasn't for my mom's expert nose, she wouldn't have put out the burning carpet on time. She punished my brother but he would cry that it wasn't his fault, he was pressured into it! Finally my mom had enough and went to talk to the landlord.

He told my mom the story the police had released of the previous family. The police report stated that the boy was playing with matches and accidentally set the second floor on fire. The boy, finding no way out, jumped out the second storey window and unfortunately landed on the spiked fence. They claimed that things had became strange when they first moved in. The house seemed to have a mind of it's own and things were always moved into different places from where they were originally placed. Thier son claimed a man would appear on the stairway and tell him to burn the house. The said they didn't think much of it but it grew too much. Their son would beg to the empty air to not do anything to them. He would yell that he wasn't going to play with fire. The same things my brother had started to do.

After that conversation my mom began to worry and looked for other available homes. She put us in afternoon classes and sports so we would spend less time there. But one night she couldn't prevent what happened.

My brother's and I were watching the Simpsons when we heard footsteps. They sounded heavy and our eyes stayed glued to the stairway, ready for our mom to yell at us for having the volume high. But it wasn't her. It was a man in a hat all covered in black stuff just standing there looking at us. My brother began to yell and when we ran to turn on the light switch, he disappeared. Seconds later we heard my mom yell and we ran downstairs to see what was wrong. She was in her bed crying. She grabbed us and dragged us to the car and took us to a motel. She then explained that she was sleeping when she heard the door open. She turned to see what we wanted but instead a man in black jumped on her and held her down. She said the she tried to move but she felt so heavy. When she began to pray in her head the man disappeared and that's when she screamed.

We left the house the next day. We stayed at the motel for a week until my mom found a two bedroom apartment. We were happy to leave and we could never understand what happened there.

Has this happened to anyone before?

The house is actually bank owned now and I don't know if someone bought it. If anything similar happened to you please comment below. I don't think it was a human spirit in there and I don't want to believe I saw a demon. Please help me understand what happened in that house.

Other hauntings by tflores13

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, tflores13, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

drofyl (1 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-25)
to the author, İ believe in your story hundred percent. I pra
Y your family are ok now in your new home.
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-09-08)
Well. Thanks for replying. I hold the same question as elnoraemily, still regarding your mom waking you up. I understand that it could just have been a frantic time which led to poor judgement, but i'm still bothered by it.
And when you say the man was "covered in black stuff", do you mean like soot or ash? Or was it a shadow figure?
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-09-08)
I am not trying to be mean, I am really not. The problem is, if parts of the story do not add up, it is very hard to give advice on the whole of it. I will address two points quickly, and then give my theory on this.

1) What does that have to do with waking you up? If she was stopping the mom from running inside, then why would she go back and wake you up? Where was the other mother during this?

2) Fires, murders and death are public record. The fire station and police keeps records that you can look up. That is why people are saying it never happened- because records are kept. Especially when there is a death involved.

Also, I looked up the girl's school you said a whole bunch of kids died in and there is nothing on that. Are you telling me a school burned down that was full of kids and not a single record of that exists? IF you can find one, I will recant, but that is not the sort of thing that doesn't have some sort of record.

I am not saying that nothing happened to you. I am saying that parts of your story do not seem to make sense.

I am sorry your family had a rough time. It is never easy seeing people you love struggle and go through pain. Many people in my family endure depression and it is very hard for everyone involved. I definitely empathize with that. Mental health is an incredibly complicated thing to process by both the sufferer and the loved ones. I do not think they are directly 100% correlated to a haunted house, though the stress does not help. Make sure you are there to support your family and be there for them.

The problem with old houses is that they have old wiring. Old wiring (or badly shielded wiring) causes hallucinations, paranoia, depression and the feeling of being watched. This works because your mind functions off of electrical energy. This electrical energy is in charge of every thought and signal your brain does. High levels of electric fields will actually interfere with these signals, causing all of these effects. It is a good thing that, if this is the case, your family left because they can cause health problems if not addressed. All the old homes in Omaha will have older wiring, which can lead to all of this. There is also a theory that it helps spirits manifest because of the extra energy in the air. Since spirits need energy to show themselves, it is believed by many people that high levels of EMF allow them to be more active.

It does not mean nothing happened, it just means that there are other factors that play into and play together.

Hopefully your family has found some stability.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-08)
The administrator has edited the address from this story, so please keep all comments directed to the story as it is now. Any comments from this point on related to the address will be deleted, since the address no longer exists in this story.

And thank you, Martin, for editing the address.
tflores13 (2 stories) (4 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-09-08)
Well to answer your questions 1) my mother was trying to prevent the kids mom from running inside. 2) I have googled the address and the house doesn't appear, for some reason it shows another neighborhood. 3) if it was sleep paralysis how did she saw the same thing we did and 4) there was another house fire up the street from us where two girls burned and died. The news never covered that either. A deaf man was shot and killed around the block, again it wasn't covered either. If the news didn't cover that what makes you think it covered this story? What I experienced wasn't made up, IT HAPPENED. I came on this site to see if anyone can help me understand what happened and honestly I've read most of other people's stories and they seem farfetched too. Did you know my brother had to get therapy because of this ordeal? Did you know my mom had a mental break down and tried to hurt herself? This did happen and yes, a lot of things does happen in Omaha. Lots of creepy things. All houses are old so all of them went through a lot of creepy stuff. My school was actually 2houses together that was burned down because they were giving education to girls and not boys, a lot of kids died. So unless you give me actual help or anything other than criticism I would be happy. Thank you.
Janellexx89 (5 stories) (9 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-07)
Just wanted to say I found this story very intriguing. And I also wanted to say everyone please get over the whole address thing, no maybe the author should not have posted it but I think it's been addressed more than enough so stop harping on it. And I also find it rude how you basically tell this person that what they experienced was not true. People post these stories to get answers and find help and all you do is tell them that its fake, I bet you wouldn't be to happy if someone told you your story was fake. Please try to be more considerate! To the Author I believe your story and like I said it intrigued me. I hope you one day get some answers!
pjs1977 (2 stories) (48 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-09-07)
Not to sound like a jerk but this story sounds a little too far fetched to be true. I did a search on the history of that address you gave and nothing came up. I also found a few other discrepancies in your story that didn't seem to measure up from what you were saying. Like a man covered in black stuff attacked your mom c'mon you can do better than that.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-07)
He's been contacted. We're just waiting for the address to go away.
Incidentally, I hope the point has been driven home by this debacle that putting addresses on the internet is not a responsible choice.
22aya (10 stories) (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-07)
Mods, could we call upon the almighty Martin to remove the address, if editing it at this point is even possible? Just wondering.
syeda_mubeena (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-07)
for god sake don't put address.now, somebody staying there.
rynne (69 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-06)
MandyyNicole, thanks for raising it, had the same Q., wondering why she did not call 911 herself. (That and the address bit, that others have already raised).
MandyyNicole (7 stories) (183 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-06)
I don't particularly have much to say about this story, but one thing that seriously bothered me is that your mom woke you up to call 911... You say you were very young, so WHY in the world would she waste time waking YOU, a small child, up to call 911?! I'm sorry but I can't get past this part. There is zero logic to that. First of all, you were just a little one, why put you in charge of that? And second, like I said, why did she waste time waking you when as soon as she saw it, she should have called it in? Again, i'm sorry, but if this is true, that was horrible reasoning on her part.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-06)
Sorry, it was built in 1890.
The Seventies came from something else I was looking up.

Eek.
But yes, definitely old wiring and electric field issues.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-06)
I did a very long search for anything related to a fire at that address and came up with nothing. Especially if a child had died in the fire, there would be a record. There is none.
Your defense of the fire is a little silly, by thinking that the news stops covering everything if there is something big going on. The news would have still picked up the story and ran it, just not as the headline story. Your experiences in the house may have happened, but I do not believe that the fire and the death of the child did.

What your mom experienced is called sleep paralysis, most likely caused by her stress and influenced by her belief that the house was haunted. It's a completely natural event, despite being scary. Your mind will still be dreaming, your body frozen but you are aware.

I think a lot of this has to do with faulty wiring and electric fields. The house was built sometime in the 70s, according to the neighborhood information I found. I think if there was activity in the house, that was probably the cause.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-06)
Well, all other things assidered, I think I've visited this area before. Isn't it also called Bellview or Bellville, and it's a suburb of Omaha? If so, it has a wierd history of strange things happening with kids, I mean like my friend had tried to kill his brother when they were kids. My friend said it just came into his head. And I had heard of others creepy stories there that didn't get reported for the sake of the kids and families. So I wonder if this has an underlying cause of some possible entity. It's been known to happen.
tflores13 (2 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
Alright well I'm new so I don't know how to fix the address problem but the story is 100% true. We lived in that house for almost a year and any family or friends that visited always got chills being there. I understand the address thing because we had people pass by that same house very slowly and try to see inside. The boy burning is probably not showing up because the most popular story that the news stations were going crazy about (at that time) is the Amber Harris case. Omaha is full of undocumented stories since its a small place. Either that or the documentation for it got lost in change of owners.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
elnoraemily - redundant or not, thank you for saying with BJJ and I have. It might help reinforce it if it's not just us saying it. Kinda like parents, tune 'em out if they say something you don't like.

On a personal note, I hate the fact that I cannot post the laugh or wink emoticon!
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
Well, that got redundant. This is why I should refresh pages before posting.
elnoraemily (guest)
+3
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
Be VERY careful with handing out information like addresses online. You may not live there anymore, but if anyone does, you could very easily put them in the path of an unhinged individual. Private information should stay private.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
For the love of god, don't put addresses on the freaking internet. For your own safety, or the safety of anyone living at that address after you've moved out. At least it appears you've made this address up, so hopefully no harm will come of the shockingly poor judgement displayed by this story.
I've had stories cross my screen with addresses included. I edit the addresses out. Every. Time. It only takes a second, and when the address actually exists it's necessary to insure safety and privacy.
Rant over.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
tflores13 - a couple of things.

1) We try to discourage people from posting complete addresses in their stories. It would be very rude for people to go ghost hunting on someone else's property, or even to stand out in the front and gawk, pointing and talking. It doesn't matter whether or not the story is true, what matters is this. What if you came home one day to a yardful of people just because they were told your house was haunted? Or what if there was someone who decided they wanted to find out for themselves and broke into your home to do a night-time investigation? These things are definitely possible. There are over 14000 stories on this site, which would lead me to believe there could be 10000 members. (Honestly, I have no idea how many members we have.) Even if there were only 50 members, all it takes is 1 person to make other peoples' lives hell. All because an address was posted.

2) Speaking of the address, since you provided it, I Googled to find out more info on the fire and death of the boy. I couldn't find anything. No fire, no death, no accidents, nothing at that address or even 27th Street or S. 27th Street. Well, nothing except the articles about the 17 year old who was hit by a train.

Just wondering if you are sure the story told you was true or if they were trying to scare you 😕

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: