You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandfather Continues To Watch Over Family

Real Ghost Stories

Grandfather Continues To Watch Over Family

 

While this happened when I was very young, I don't believe it was the product of a little boy's vivid imagination due to the facts that the phenomenon repeated itself many times, and I didn't think it was a ghost.

When I was about four, my family moved back to the US for a few months before relocating overseas again. We stayed in my grandmother's house, and as my father had already begun work at his new job abroad, it was only me, my brother (two years older), and my mother staying with my grandmother.

We all slept on the second floor of the house. The staircase to access the second floor was along the northern wall of the house. At the very top of the staircase, in the northwestern corner, was the bathroom. If you were walking up the stairs, as you reached the second floor there was a large area on your left onto which all the rooms on the second floor opened. The bedroom my brother and I were sleeping in was in the southwest corner of the house, and my mother and grandmother were sleeping in the same bed in a room just next to ours, on the southeast corner of the house.

Each morning, I would wake up just before dawn, when it was still very dark but just beginning to lighten. I would go into my mother and grandmother's room and crawl into bed with them. From where I would lie in their bed, I could see across the second floor to the staircase from the first floor.

One morning, I saw a cloudy, shadowy figure come up the stairs, turn left, walk diagonally across the space at the top of the stairs to the door of my mother and grandmother's room (where I was lying in bed with them), and disappear. I distinctly remember seeing first the head of the cloudy figure, then the torso, then the rest of it as it came up the stairs and into view.

This happened every morning for a few weeks. I didn't know what it was, and I began to think of it as the Sandman. I tried to see whether it threw sand in our room when it came to the door before it disappeared, and wondered why it didn't throw sand in the room my brother was sleeping in, too.

One morning after I crawled into their bed, I really had to go to the bathroom badly. I was waiting for the Sandman, and I didn't know whether I should wait until after he had come and disappeared or try to go before. I saw the cloudy figure come up the stairs, turn left and begin to walk towards our bedroom door. For some reason I'll never understand, I decided to climb out of bed when it was about halfway to our door. I was staring straight at it. As I climbed out of bed, it stopped moving right where it was. Still staring straight at its head (I couldn't make out a face, it was like a very dense fog), I slowly walked up to it until I was standing right before it, looking up at it. It then disappeared. I stuck my hand right where it had been, but there was nothing there.

I continued to see it come up the stairs every morning until we left. My grandmother sold the house and it was torn down, so I never stayed there again or had another opportunity to see this apparition.

Over the years I've come to believe that this was my grandfather. He died before I was born, but I had heard that he was a very gentle and devoted father and husband. I think he was still trying to look after his family.

These days, I have a wife and a two year old. I leave for work at around the same time in the morning that I used to see the ghost all those years ago. I always take one last look at my wife and check in on my son, sometimes kissing his forehead, before I leave. It's just such a comforting and compelling thing for me to do, to know they're both safe and still sleeping. I sometimes wonder whether this is what my grandfather had still been trying to do.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, phatdragon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-11)
Wowwwwwww you were a brave kid. If I saw something like that, I would not just walk up to it, no matter how desperately I needed to pee!

And the fact that it stopped, yes, I can see how it may have been your grandfather.

Then there's the end to your story which demonstrates why you'd believe such, and d'awwwww. Heart. Melting. You are a good husband and father.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-10)
Please ignore the comment below me. This poster has since removed her account and her opinion is very far from fact.
Angel9090 (guest)
-3
9 years ago (2015-01-10)
Hello Phat! Your story is very touching and being a medium I am curious myself to know who you were seeing everyday and I have discovered that is not your grandfather but another male family member.
xlauraloux (20 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
Awww what a lovely experience that must of been ❤ 😁 I guess you must of felt connected to it as you was not afraid of it.

Thank you for posting x
TinAA (1 stories) (84 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
Hi phatdragon, very well and clearly written experience. I liked your story especially the last paragraph of it. Its very touching. I am amazed by the exact conclusion you came up about the daily visits of your Grandfather.

Thanks to share it with us
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-01-07)
I'm not sure what part of the story is mor emotional for me, your grandfather or you. I've actually never known any man who was so thoughtfull when he left out for work. Oh, there goes the onions.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-07)
aw this is so sweet. Makes me really sad and miss my grandmother 😕
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-07)
phatdragon- I'm right there with Miracles, touching story. It's really nice to have the "feel good" stories as well. And the fact that you walked right up to it, way to go.

Great share
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-07)
phatdragon - OMG the end of this really touched me. I believe that is exactly what your grandfather was doing, making sure his family was safe and sound. I really enjoyed this and want to thank you for sharing it with us 😊

Before I leave I want to say that the fact you weren't afraid of the Sandman made me feel good too 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: