You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My First Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

My First Shadow

 

My first experience with the unknown that I can remember for myself was at about nine years old. As a kid I was always really afraid of the dark and being alone so when I would play I would lock my two cats in my room with me. I don't know why exactly but cats' presence has always calmed me.

And so this one particular day I was in my room playing dolls at my desk and suddenly I heard one of the cats growling, which wasn't uncommon as one of our cats was several years older and didn't always like our youngest cat. So I turned around to break up yet another cat fight... But when I turned around the cats were both growling, fur on end and staring at the direction of my closet which was behind and to the left of my desk. As I turned, I seen this black shadow pop out of the floor and it knocked a toy out of one of my boxes and the toy landed about half a foot from my cats, which made them flee and hide, which naturally made me flee from the room!

I told my mom about it and she told me, "Mel it's probably just a black squirrel." I tried to convince her otherwise but she wouldn't have it.

Some of you might think a squirrel is a far reach but we lived 20 minutes down a dirt road off a highway, the closest city was about 45 minutes to an hour away, so a squirrel in the house isn't really that farfetched. But I know what I seen and it was NO squirrel. Needless to say I didn't play much in my room after that. I'd sleep with either my parents or on the couch which wasn't unusual for me, I always had hated my bedroom.

About a month and a half later I grew up the courage to go play in my room again with my two cats and this time I had my stereo playing to try and drown out any "spooky" sounds. After about 20 minutes I seen a big black shadow flash past me and through the wall to my left which is where my stereo was plugged in and the cord for my stereo was swinging back and forth as if something had hit it.

After that I didn't try to tell my mom about it. I went to my Grandma whom is a firm believer in the Lord and she told me it was a demon tormenting me and to go in and rebuke it in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Ghost. I did as I was told and I didn't see the shadow in that house anymore, but I never felt alone.

Those were the first encounters I had with the shadows growing up. I have seen so many I've lost count, in various places and different times. I don't know what they are and I think they're mischievous and enjoy making themselves known but I don't know if they are demons? They never take any form resembling a human and that house I lived in my father made and we were the first to own the property so my question is why did I see the shadows there (or anywhere really) and WHAT are they?

Other hauntings by melodie31293

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, melodie31293, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Agnet201195 (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-08)
Well, to my experience, the black shadow spirits normally represents evil as at first, they tend to play mischievous pranks towards someone to make that person scared but with time they can be violent. Some cultures even depict the black shadow as the sign of black magic or voodoo
melodie31293 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-05)
Tweed I didn't get a good look at the second one just caught it out of the corner of my eye, but I've seen plenty since then... They all pretty much look the same to me but I'm not scared of those any more... They're more annoying than anything lol I just don't really understand why they were there.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-04)
Melodie, it's clear your fear of your room was justified and not planted in childhood imagination!

It may not have been malicious, could have been a playful spirit. Seeing as it interacted with a toy.
As Brenttan said the cats probably growled at an unknown presence, regardless of its intentions.

A lot of people here believe shadows are a bad sign. I'm open to shadows being all kinds of things, not always bad.
You did the right thing, as you felt scared, you have the right to feel comfortable in your own space. What they were and their intentions is anyone's guess.

Did you see what either looked like? Could it have been two separate beings you saw or maybe the same one?
brenttan (64 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-04)
Hostile spirit presences (in this case not so very hostile or aggressive but just perhaps disturbed by your loud music!) may have made the cats growl but they did you no harm. Or the cats may have just reacted to any presence that was unusual or not particularly loving or friendly. If demons they would have been more evil, virulent and disturbing to you. I have/am covered with the Lord's protection so I feel quite safe and confident. Looks like your faith and words in the Lord's name protected you. Hoping to read your next account soon. Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: