You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The House On The Reservation

Real Ghost Stories

The House On The Reservation

 

I have always experienced acts of the paranormal since I was a young boy. It started when my grandfather committed suicide when I was young. My mother always claimed to be to able read people and sense ghosts, but I never bought into it to much. She was usually right when reading people and my friends found it weird but more of a party game.

Now that you have an idea of my background I'll get to one of my experiences. I used to do land survey for a large oil company, and it required me to live on the road. I was married at the time but my wife usually didn't come with me on longer jobs. The job took place in Duluth, Minnesota and I was lucky to find a house for rent on an Indian reservation. My work partner didn't like the idea of being on a reservation, but since my grandmother was Sioux it didn't bother me.

The house was small but seemed cozy. It was out of town and quite. The owner was a young woman who lived with her mother close by.

We lived in the house for a few months without any incidents. My work partner and I didn't do much but work, 12 hour days/7 days a week. We would drink after work and smoke pot and stay to ourselves.

Eventually I began to feel like I was being watched in the house. My buddy found a girl he liked and I wound up staying by myself most nights. It didn't bother me because I prefer my privacy.

One night I got drunk and played video games then went to bed. I always lock my bedroom door because I sleep naked. I drifted off and was woken up by someone knocking on my bedroom door. I heard the doorknob jiggling also. I crawled out of bed and told him to let me put shorts on. I thought maybe it was my roommate or the owner. I opened the door and no one was there. I checked my phone and had no messages. I thought maybe someone broke in the house and hid when I spoke. I grabbed my hand gun (I was an army ranger for 7 years) and cleared the house. I found no one. I checked the wood line around the house. But came up empty.

Thinking I was dreaming the whole thing, I went back to bed. I mentioned it to the owner and she seemed more worried than me. She had a medicine man come to bless the house. He burnt sage and said native prayers. We got to my roommate's room and the door wouldn't open. He said a prayer and then it opened. I was confused but not scared. As he and I stood in the room, I heard growling. But it soon faded.

I stayed in the house for a few more weeks but soon moved. I got a call from the owner a month later saying she saw a man standing in my roommate's old room. I asked why she would call and tell me that. She said because it looked like the picture of the man I brought there and hung in the living room. The only picture I hung up was of my brother who died in a car accident the day I got home from Iraq.

I don't know if he has been following me since he passed and stayed there because he liked it, or if she was mistaken. Anyways, I have many stories and hope you enjoyed it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jamesking, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SL_Girl (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-16)
I like your writing style, specially the way you mentioned about your brother. Thanks for sharing your story.
bluemer04 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-13)
Oh that is why. I am glad you left for good. Thanks for answering my question.
jamesking (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Bluemer04-
The owner was native american and that particular tribe feared spirits. She had mentioned times she had experiences of her own but not on the property. Her family invited myself and my roommate for dinner before we left for good. They shared stories about her older brother being cursed by an evil spirit. We one day he couldn't walk and was taken to the hospital. Once there they pulled out a fresh rattlesnakes malted skin from under his skin on his back. They had it on video. That was the day before I packed and left.
bluemer04 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
This is really something. The owners knows something is going as she sent someone to bless the house. Did you try to ask the owner what's going on? I am very curious, I bet there is a continuation?
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
LOL Miracles, lucky you said you didn't want to give it away or I would have done so. Same with her, I got chills at the end from bottom to the top of my neck. Good story! And I kind of found it sweet. But at the same time I do wonder why he would still be there.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
Now this is one very cool account! Makes one really go 'hmmmmm'!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-11)
jamesking - it's not often that a story can take me by surprise like yours did. I was intrigued through the story, wondering of course. But when I got to the end, I was thoroughly shocked.

I hate to give it away for those who haven't read it yet, so I'll let my comment end here and come back later. Welcome to YGS 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: