You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man Upstairs

Real Ghost Stories

The Man Upstairs

 

I live in a small town in the great state of Iowa. Anyways, my house has five bedrooms and is larger than it needs to be. It creeps me out and has since I've lived here.

I like to sit with the TV on for noise because if it's too quiet at my house, I hear footsteps and the floor squeaking upstairs.

Well, one of the bedrooms is a room we never really use and I think because of that our Man Upstairs stays in there.

I am alone sometimes because of weird work schedules and whatnot... So I notice these things because of being alone and because I can sense these things around me.

So I was sitting on the chair in the living room in front of the stairs. I thought I saw a shadow out the corner of my eye, coming downstairs. My cat caught it at the same time I did. But what I saw disappeared, although I could hear it, she (my cat) continued watching whatever it was come downstairs.

Later that night I was reading in bed and I thought I saw a shadow behind me yet again. I turned over really fast and saw a shadow of a man with a fedora hat on leaning against my bed. As soon as I slightly reacted, he was gone. He didn't feel threatening, just interested maybe.

I never feel like I'm alone when I'm alone at home. Someone is always there. I don't know his name, though the more things happen the more I think it may be the last owner of my house.

Overall, I think we have at least two people hanging around. Not bad people. Sometimes they are just overwhelming.

Little things that happen all the time are: the medicine cabinet opening by itself, floors freaking, phantom smells (perfume, sweat, pie, wood burning, cigarette smoke etc.), objects moving all the time, cats freaking out and watching things. I have two cats and whatever they are watching they both see it at the same time. I see shapes and lights out the corner of my eye.

When I'm home alone, every light in the house is on.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Iowa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, smbrum, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

smbrum (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Thank you all for your comments. I do feel as if the ghost 'ex owner' may just be curious. Sometimes it's just creepy. My boyfriend told me the other day that when he woke up and turned over he caught a quick glimpse of a shadow by the the closet. That was probably the same guy. I would love to hear more from you all.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-27)
Hi Smbrum and welcome.

Tehe, I can relate to weird working schedules and there's something about a thrown routine which seems to make me a bit more aware of all things ghostly. I wonder if we throw their, the ghosts, routines off with our own sometimes.

With regard to using an EVP recorder, I don't see much harm in this. However, it would be reckless to do anything like this without at least cleansing/shielding first, or a blessing if you're religious. Whichever will work. This is more for your own protection, it will calm the energy in your home, ward off any negative entities which may be lurking. It doesn't sound like you have any. That said, using an EVP *may* intrigue an idiot ghost who happens through on a whim and *may* be enticed to stick around your home to play silly buggers with your recorder. A cleansing/shielding will prevent this and it's a good idea regardless of your situation.

The smells I really like, and I agree at least one of your ghosts seems to be a former dweller. The smells could be their way of letting you know they're around, a common courtesy or greeting. I have a couple of ghosts who smoke, I can distinguish when and which one is there by the smell of their cigarettes. It's one of the ways they let me know they're around. It would be interesting if you'd be willing to start a journal. You could note down different details, time, date, the weather, smells, anything else which happens. As time goes on you'll probably be able to see a pattern emerge with those smells and everything else, which could identify each ghost and help you get to know them better.

It occurred to me the man leaning against your bed may have done this before, or does this regularly. You've likely opened yourself up more over time to sensing ghosts, particularly around your home. It seems to me like he didn't expect you to know he was there and you possibly gave him a fright when you looked at him! His actions sound like a polite, curious, ghost.

I'm a Kate Bush fan, she tends to write about ghosts and death a bit. While reading your story I was thinking of one of her songs, it's a cheeky song about a nice ghost watching someone home alone while the person begins to sense their presence. It's told from both the ghost and the person's perspective. It's very endearing and reminded me of your situation.

Thanks for sharing your story, I hope you keep us updated with any developments.
Take care.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
Welcome to YGS smbrum! Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't cats been believed since ancient times to sense/see ghosts/spirits? I first thought shadow people but the other things happening I don't know. It is definitly something. I would do some recording and check for evp without trying anything to intrusive that could increase activity. When I say record I don't mean asking or talking to it just record when you know or the cat knows something is close. The little pocket recorders they sell to leave yourself a reminder would work fine and ask for professionel help if you need it they are some very helpful people on here to get good advice from the moderators are a good place to start and can help or point you in the right direction. Thanks for your story!

Strength and courage,
Champion
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
Thanks for your post, I admire your strength and perseverance!

I find it fascinating that animals, particularly cats seem to be able to sense spirit quite readily. They must have amazingly acute senses and it makes me wonder how much is going on around us in terms of spiritual activity that we humans with our usually deadened senses, are missing out on.

Mack
Goggzy (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-26)
The phantom smells could be ingrained on the walls/wood. But this does seem to be a spirit interested in you might be a family member or as you have said a ex owner.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: