You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Nice Family Upstairs

Real Ghost Stories

The Nice Family Upstairs

 

Around 2004 or so my son and I used to live in a very small town in Kentucky (one stop light, three bars, five churches, and a monastery.) This town was my introduction to the south, it was quite an introduction. I discovered mountain folk weren't anything like most northerners expect, and at the same time, they seem to live up to their reputation and then some. It was a lot of fun.

So this town had a lot of history, and paranormal activity is normal there. My son and I lived in a project in this town. It had two, it had a lot of struggling families. We had sweet neighbors. We had get-togethers for cards and beer and things, and the kids all knew each other.

The buildings were two stories and my son and I lived in the ground floor. My son surprised me one morning by telling me he saw a blue light floating through his bedroom from the window to his open door and it floated right on to a door across from his, which was to a closet for the water heater. The light rattled the door knob, and floated back and out. This happened periodically, and maybe was not a relative of the family upstairs I don't know.

Along this time, I noticed a rocking sound like from a rocking chair about the same time every evening and around six in the morning, always in the same spot above the our living room. There would also be a little kid's playful running and giggling. No sound of talking, just the rocking and the giggling running kid and now and again an adult footfall. Like someone was living there, only it was empty.

I seriously thought there were squatters in that apartment, so I talked to the maintenance man about it. Mind you, I'd lived previously in a city where homeless people moved into empty apartments all the time. But that didn't happen in this town, so he looked at me kind of funny. He said they were going to start working on that apartment to get it ready for a move-in, so he'd check it out for signs of campers.

Well, the next week he saw me and told me no one had been in the place for about three months, it had dust all over and that was it! But he knew I was telling the truth because the people next door to that one upstairs said they hear the same thing.

Later on while visiting an older lady next door, I told her the story about the "family upstairs". She just laughed. She said a two story house used to be where our building is. She didn't know the particulars of the family. Then she asked me if that blue light thing was still hanging around. I said, "Oh you've seen the light thing!" She said "Yeah, it's been around for a while. No relation to the people upstairs though."

Other hauntings by Swimsinfire

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Swimsinfire, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-13)
Hi Swimsinfire, I agree with MrJV545, it is nothing but a residual haunting because you said that you see the blue light and hear the sound at the same time in the evening and early in the morning around 6. So, it should definitely be residual. If what your elderly visitor told you that this has been there for a long time, that also solidifies to the conclusion that it must be residual. I do not think, as the elderly woman told you, it has got any link to any family living upstairs.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-11)
Yes, it's a sad but true statement about our economy these days. Far too many fall into the 'working poor' ranks. Even though we do have low income housing where I live, I guess I just associate 'projects' with big cities - 'my bad' as the kids say.
MissusTodd (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-11)
Valkricry-Actually most towns these days have at least one or two "low-income" apartment buildings. Some people call them projects, HUD apts., Section 8, or income-based apts. It's basically all the same. When I was young and newly married we lived in one, and our town was just a speck on the map.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-11)
Yes, Valkery, I was surprised about the projects too. But that whole area has a lot of (I won't say needy because that implies helplessness, and these folks fought poverty like MMA.) strugling. In that area, people asumed somebody's dead relatives were around, and when the new tennants heared the rocking they thought it was sweet. The whole building was buzzing about who the family might be. They concluded that it must be a DeWitt, and since her husbands people got along with DeWitt people it would be OK! It was really a lot of fun there.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-11)
Swimsinfire,
You know, I didn't know that any of the smaller towns had projects. I always thought they were kind of 'reserved' for bigger places like Newport, and Louisville. Live and learn huh?
Without an investigation it's hard to say whether the 'haunting'upstairs would be residual or intelligent. But at least it's just some sounds and nothing scary.
Since there use to be a 2 story family home there, the blue light might just be traveling an old pre-existing path. Maybe checking to see if a door was locked before going to bed? Orbs come in different colors, or so I've heard. So maybe that's what it is an orb.
You might learn more when the new tennents move in. Could get interesting. Hopefully the new ones get along with the existing ones.
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
Hi swimsinfire - could it be residual haunting? I have a feeling it is.
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
I wonder what's causing the Blue light. It doesn't sound related to the noises in the upstairs apartment and by rattling the water heater door seems to be showing it's more aware of its environment.

Just like Isolde I wonder how the new inhabitants will get on with the "existing" tenants?
Isolde (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-10)
Nice story, I wonder what experiences the new inhabitants of that appartement will have once the place has 'living people' again.
It is very nice though that so many people around you believed you when you mentioned the noise upstairs and the blue light.

Isolde
MrJV545 (16 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-09)
I guess there's not much to say here! Just a casual, residual haunting. A family that probably doesn't know they're dead, I mean. It's obviously creepy, but I do enjoy the prospect of another nice family around that you can't actually see. I bet they were friendly people.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: