You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Girl In The Mansion

Real Ghost Stories

The Girl In The Mansion

 

I'm probably not the best at putting stories into written words, so bare with me. One of my most significant paranormal/ghost experiences happened in the small town I live in, Richmond Kentucky. It was summer, approximately year 2010, a day just like any other typical one.

Some friends and I decided to go hang at a local park, have lunch, and just hang out. We'd been to Wendy's to get some food, went back to the park and ate, then walked around a while. In the middle of the park, there's this old house, which in its day, was a mansion. Hence its name, Irvine McDowell mansion, on the sign in front of it.

Anyways, we walked around for a while, then noticed there was a baseball game at the field that attaches to the park, so we went over and watched some of it. A pretty uneventful, boring day at that point. We weren't really big fans of baseball, so soon we wandered off and walked around some more.

Ending up sitting on the steps of the house, the three of us talked about work, plans for the weekend, and caught up on what had been going on in our lives, since we didn't see each other very often. We talked for an hour or so, and this guy walked up and started talking to us, his name was Ben. He introduced himself, and asked how our day was going, then proceeded to tell us some "info" on the house.

He went on about when the house was built, who lived there through the years when it was occupied, then told us about a family who had supposedly died in the house. He didn't know how, or very much detailed info about what happened, so we politely nodded as the story went on, and eventually he left. We all brushed off the shoulder and just assumed he was a college student trying to "scare" us, since the park was in the middle of campus.

At this point it was around 5:00-5:30 pm, and we all decided to leave the park and go home, mostly out of boredom, partly because we had things to do. We all said our goodbyes, got up, and headed to our cars. This is where the story gets interesting.

As we were walking away, maybe about 10 feet from the house, I heard what sounded like someone pecking on a window, so I asked my friends if they "heard that", and they said they hadn't. We turned back towards the house. Me being stubborn, I insisted I heard something or someone tap on one of the windows of the house. My friends thought I was making it up, I'm sure.

Then and there, as I looked at the bottom windows, and then the top, I saw one of the most frightening, unbelievable things I've ever seen in my life. Something I will never forget.

In the top right window, I saw a little girl, I would say approximately 9 years old, in a white dress, with grey skin, and solid black eyes staring straight down at me and my friends. They saw it too, and none of us could, or would for that matter, move a muscle. We were frozen in fear for probably a minute, until someone came up and asked us what we were looking at.

We turned around to acknowledge their question, told them we were just looking at the house, and we turned back around, reluctantly, and to our surprise the little girl was gone. Neither of the three of us said a word, went to our cars, and left.

This story will bring a lot of nay sayers, and disbelievers, I'm sure. But 100% is true, and my two friends, and myself, will never forget what we saw that day. I haven't went back to that park since, and I have no intentions to ever again.

Stay tuned, there will be more stories of my experiences to come. Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by countryguy91

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kentucky

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, countryguy91, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

countryguy91 (2 stories) (2 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-06-15)
I just realized all the responses that had came in! Sorry I haven't gotten back with you sooner! Randy, you're much more brave than me if you go check out the place. I hate even driving by there anymore, and refuse to stop. I even missed a family reunion there last year. I know now that it wasn't a prank, and that ben wasn't in on it. I do think he was just there, and trying to creep us out, coincidentally, but I can't be positive. I know it wasn't a prank because there are only certain times you can enter the house, and then it was closed completely due to renovations of some sort (which I found out recently). It was definitely creepy, and the thing about the eye disease, makes it more chilling. I honestly had no clue about the parks history. I should have looked into it, and I think I may look into it more now, as I have been curious all this time. The person who said ben may have opened my mind to the presence of something, I believe that is a possibility too. Although I have got plenty of reason not to be a skeptic, I didn't know if he was serious or joking, because of his light, sort of goofy demeanor. Thanks for all the input!
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-15)
Countryguy, I did a little Google'ng and found out that the Irvine McDowell mansion used to serve as a treatment hospital for Trachoma. Here is the wikipedia link for the mansion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irvine-McDowell_Park
What I find interesting is that Trachoma is an infections eye disease that causes roughness of the cornea and can lead to blindness. Children were more likely to have and spread this disease. Now you said you saw a little girl with "Solid Black Eyes". Now I'm not sure if Trachoma was deadly but this child could have had the disease and passed away from something else. The history of the mansion does fit with your experience. Thank you for sharing this with us and I would like to hear of your other experiences as well. 😁
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-13)
Hello countryguy91, first of all, my sincere suggestion to you. Please do share your experience with us but don't swear it's 100% true and all. You are sharing your experience and it's for others to believe or not. As long as it is true, we needn't worry about what others say.

Coming to your experience, what made you not to investigate the issue further. In my opinion, you should have. Even now you can do it. By the way what was your friends' reactions? And I feel if you have told that person who asked you what you were looking at, he might have given some inputs.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
YeseGrey15 (20 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-12)
Awesome story! I got Goosebumps reading the description of what the little girl looked like! Have you or your friends ever done research on the house and try to figure out who the little girl might be? Maybe she appeared to ya'll for help? 😲
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-10)
Countryguy,

Hello neighbor, I'm just down the road in Lexington and I graduated from EKU in 1985.

I really liked the story and next time I'm down that way I may try and stop by that house.

Randy
dreamer01 (1 stories) (117 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
countryguy,

The chance of this being a prank would be pretty remote I think. Why would 2 people hang around an old house all day waiting for some one to come along to scare?

Anyways, I found it to be pretty creepy too.

Thanks for sharing
😊
TJYAKI (5 stories) (13 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
Countryguy,
Man that's so creepy. I can see it as a prank, but have you thought that maybe when Ben told you that story it kind of opened you to seeing someone? Like, if before he spoke to you the idea of seeing a ghost there wasn't even in your mind so you wouldn't have seen her? Once he told you a family had died in there even though you brushed it off the the knowledge that people had died was there. Possibly by knowing that, it gave the little girl access?
Just a theory:)
gelflingfay (1 stories) (52 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
That is pretty creepy. I know that just because somethings line up like a prank doesn't make it a prank. Sometime we just have to be aware of a happening to be receptive to what is reaching out for attention. Or it might have just happened in the first place and the guy was the coincidence. Either way, creepy.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-09)
countryguy - I wonder if Ben and the girl were having some fun at you and your friends' expense?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: