You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Small Mansion Built in the 1600s

Real Ghost Stories

Small Mansion Built in the 1600s

 

It all started when we moved into our new house. It was left for my dad when my Grandma passed. The house was a small mansion built by my ancestors. It has been in our family ever since the 1600s. It's a 3 story house with a balcony on the second and third story, and a fountain in the middle of the front yard that doesn't run. The history of the house was very graphic. The house has been passed down through the generations. The ghosts that haunt the house and my family were the very first ones to live in the mansion. The ghosts: Henry the father, Samantha the mother, and their children, David (18), Abigail (15), William (10), Elizabeth (8), Herald (6), and Marie (5) Marrow (I added this information just in case it was important).

According to the history, Henry became very sick and ended up being demon possessed. As the family tried hopelessly to save him, he told David and Abigail that their deaths would be the most brutal. Then one night, as the children were sitting in the parlor, a gunshot was fired. Indeed, it was Henry. He had shot and killed Samantha. As the children tried to escape he killed them off one by one. I'm not got going to give the details just of how graphic it was. After Henry killed everyone in his family, he went out in the backyard and killed himself.

Now back to this time period. A short time after moving in, my parents and I were sitting in the dining room eating dinner when all of a sudden, the table started to shake violently. After it stopped, I looked up and saw something run past the archway. I got up and dashed over to where I saw it, but it was gone. I am an only child and the only pet we have is a cat. The size of what I saw was at least 4 ft. Tall, so I couldn't imagine what it was.

The next night, I was in my room alone. I was getting ready for bed and I accidentally knocked something off my dresser. I bent down to pick it up and it suddenly became cold. I stood up and in the mirror in front of me, I saw what was actually David, standing behind me. I didn't know at the time that this was David. I had no idea who this person was. Scared out of my mind, I turned around and he was gone! I rushed down the hall to my parents' room but they were already asleep.

The next day around lunch, I heard heavy footsteps going up the stairs. I looked around the corner and there was no one there, so I just went back to what I was doing. About to minutes later, I heard it again upstairs right above my head, as if someone were walking around. My parents had already gone to work so I thought someone had broken in. I crept upstairs with a stainless steel candleholder in my hand. I walked up to the door and busted in and all the noise instantly stopped. I started to wonder if maybe the house was haunted.

That night after dinner, my dad walked into the kitchen to get something to drink. My mom and I were still seated at the dinner table when we heard something break against the floor. We went in the kitchen to see what happened. My dad was standing there with the broken glass on the floor next to him. My mom asked what was wrong. He said he saw a little girl sitting in a puddle of blood. He said she had bloody cuts all over her and her eyes were completely white. We all had trouble sleeping that night.

At 12:09 am, I was laying in bed staring at the ceiling when out of nowhere I heard a little boy laughing. I sat up and it stopped. I lied back down and rolled over to face the wall. After laying there for about 2 minutes, I heard my door creak open and footsteps coming up behind me. I rolled over and it was David! He was standing over me trying to tell me something. He had short black hair, old-fashioned clothes, bloody and ripped to shreds. His skin was gray and he to had bloody cuts on his arms and one on his for head above his right eyebrow. His words started to make a little sense now. "Help uu-s he he's co-me-ing he'll ki-ll he-'ll ki-ll." And just like that he vanished! I was so scared! I grabbed my baseball bat just in case something tried to kill me. I ran down the hall and burst into my parents' room. They weren't asleep yet. They asked me what was wrong. I asked them if they had seen or heard anything strange. They both replied no.

That's when I decided to research the history of my house on the computer. After I learned everything I realized why their ghosts would still be in our house. They were tortured and killed... completely innocent... murdered. We're used to it now. I must say I've had a lot of different ghost experiences, but those I could tell later. Still to this day our house is haunted. Like my mom seeing a dead boy in the bathtub, and my cousin hearing a girl crying in my closet.

There are so many things to tell that I can't fit into this story. Feel free to tell me what you think. I hope you enjoyed it. It is all 100% true and if you don't believe it than that's ok too.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Crow, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-05)
Sorry I should say the deaths of the family by disease, not demon possession & gunshot are borne out by death records. Only Henry was shot, supposedly the result of a lurid affair & usually the family's death by disease is thought to be the result of his ghost killing them. If I recall correctly. The whole family did die & they are supposedly haunting the neighborhood.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-05)
As pointed out there are no homes in Ohio built in the 1600s. Marietta does have the oldest standing building in the state but it is not a house & was built in the 1780s. The story that the poster told at the beginning is a well known legend in Marietta, supported by death records. Ghosts are supposedly seen in the area of the house in which the family died (in the 19th century). The poster clearly chose to write a fictional account based on those real sightings.
JohnP (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-30)
I agree that this story seems like a fake. Also the number 2 is spelled two, it's improper to say "I lied back down", and you used than when you should have used then.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-29)
"Then one night, as the children were sitting in the parlor, a gunshot was fired. Indeed, it was Henry. He had shot and killed Samantha. As the children tried to escape he killed them off one by one. "

Fascinating to say the least. Particularly since repeating hand guns weren't around for at least another 200 years. In order for Henry to shoot off the children so quickly he'd have to be an ace at reloading a flintlock pistol very very quickly. Some flintlocks could fire more than one pellet at a time, but they usually did so all at once.

And what folks leave loaded guns near a "demon possessed' individual?

Nice try.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-10-20)
When this story first appeared, I respectfully declined from commenting on it because I thought that the reasonable voices of others--particuarly, Ohiowatha--convincingly refuted any possibility that this was anything other than a fabrication. Nevertheless, libertybelle's comments have convinced me of the necessity to speak out. I was raised near Steubenville, Ohio in Jefferson County in what was once the Seven Ranges--the very first district carved from the Northwest Territory. The earliest permanent Anglo-American settlement in what is now Ohio was Marietta (formerly Ft. Harmar) --established ca. 1788. Although Native Americans inhabited Ohio for thousands of years before this, no extant structures built before ca. 1790 exist today in the state of Ohio. It is absolutely preposterous to suggest that a manion from the 1600s--when European settlement was not possibile west of the Shenandoah River Valley because the Ohio country was controlled by American Indians--stands in Ohio or existed there in the recent past. The oldest existing structure in British North America west of the Alleghany Mountains is the blockhouse at Fort Pitt constructed ca. 1764--quite some time after the seventeenth century. I take the inability of Crow to address the comments and suggestions of posters for nearly a year and a half as evidence of Crow's lack of commitment to detail. 🤔 😠
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-10-20)
Okay, I'm weighing in late on this one.

No one seemed to pick up on something very obvious, and I don't mean the historical inaccuracy of a house of that type being built in what is now known as Ohio in the the 1600's.

If Henry killed all his children, how did the house pass down through Crow's family? How, for that matter, would anyone have known the history of Henry's illness and subsequent possession?
SnailBug (61 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
No offense, but your dates are wrong. There were no settlers in Ohio in the 1600s, and no "mansions" anywhere in the US at that time. The house you are describing sounds like a New England sea captain's home from the mid- to late-1800s.
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-11-16)
There are several overriding facts here that discredit this story entirely. First, there were absolutely 100% without a doubt NO white settlements in what is now Ohio in the 17th century. European colonies remained bound to England, Holland and the Atlantic Ocean that connected them to the seat of their respective Empires abroad. In fact, the first recorded incursion into the Ohio River Valley didn't happen until George Washington lead his men to the Pittsburgh region in 1754 to fight in the French-Indian war. It wasn't until 1770 that he came back to the region as a surveyor and actually entered what is now Eastern Ohio. The first land settled and farmed by Europeans occurred along the Ohio river near Marietta, Ohio in 1787. Ohio became a state in 1803.

It is curious to me that you have retained such a detailed account of your family's history in the house, yet such records are totally incongruent with the history of the area. It is almost impossible that anyone besides natives lived in Ohio in the 1700s, let alone erected a "mansion..."

I'm sorry to have to do this to a nifty story, Crow, but I suspect this is just a fictional tale rather than a "real ghost story..."

Thanks.
cordelia207 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-14)
how do you research your house on the internet? I think theyres a ghost here and wondering if a murder occured here. Please respond.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-05-11)
If he could just supply us with the county this took place in I could probably provide the link for him. I am willing to do the research if he is willing to answer the questions.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-05-11)
Got this email from lukas and I told him to register but he seems to have problems, he wanted me to pass along this comment:

"I saw that you published my story and I'm very greatful. I've been looking for websites like yours so I could tell my story and not be called crazy. The activation link isn't working out for me so this was the only way I could contact you. In some people said they were not familiar with my house or the haunting. The most probable reason why is probably because our house is in a private wooded area and they have probably never heard of this hauting because we haven't told any big ghost hunters. We are ok with the ghosts being there. We've tried to find ways to help them but we really don't know how. Thanks for understanding. And by the way I would give you links but I haven't been on that website since that one time and never thought of saving the website to favorites or anything. Sorry. And if you have any info on how to speak to them clearly or how to find them please email me. I have more questions so you'll probably hear from me again.

Thanks! Lukas"
Zelora (2 stories) (6 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-05-09)
I am not quite convinced that anyone was building "mansions" in Ohio in the 1600s. Ohio was called "the Northwest Territory" for quite some time and during the early 1800s, European settlers came into many areas to cut down the trees, kill a lot of animals, and start farming. (Some of these were my ancestors.) So...
I wonder whether you might have read a book called "Red House", about an old house in New England that really IS haunted (though not with such bloody ghosts)?
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-05-09)
I have to agree with Martin 100% on this. I am from Ohio and I am pretty familiar with the local legends and hauntings that go on in Ohio and this one never has crossed my Radar. If he could even give a county or city in which this took place I could even possibly do the research myself. Good story though even if it doesn't go any further than this.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-05-09)
Well that's either an extraordinary real experience or a very imaginative writer. To be honest I didn't know about this one so I published it, but usually stories with bloody ghosts make me rather suspicious. Stories that end with "hope you enjoyed it" is also a bad sign. Usually people going through this will beg for help. Lukas, if you could send us the links you found about your house, that would help make this more credible. Thanks.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: