You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: A Very Brief Encounter - Part 2!

Real Ghost Stories

A Very Brief Encounter - Part 2!

 

A few months back I posted a story about my experience in Edinburgh at Mary King's Close. Well I went back to Edinburgh in June and something else happened!

My fiancé had never been to Edinburgh so we decided to take a day trip there. He is into his paranormal movies and loves to give himself a scare, but is a total non-believer when it comes to ghosts. Naturally, therefore, he was up for visiting Mary King's Close, and was most looking forward to making fun of me the whole way around the tour about my non-existent "ghost friend".

We headed there around 12. 30 and I have to say, I wasn't anxious at all and was quite looking forward to it. Around 30 minutes into the tour, I very very suddenly started to feel unwell. I felt very sick, but wanted to keep going so I didn't ruin the tour for my fiancé. But then I started to feel even worse, to the point of feeling like I might pass out. I took 5 minutes to sit down and the feeling of wanting to pass out subsided but my stomach still felt upset.

I was so focused on myself that I completely didn't even realize we were in the room next to where my original experience happened. It was only when my fiancé started complaining, "When are we going to get to this place you saw the ghost?" that I actually remembered. I have to say, the whole place is nowhere near as dark as it was when I originally went there. I even found myself trying to make reflections from the lights on my glasses to see if I could recreate my previous experience (which I couldn't do!). Once we left the tour and headed back out into Edinburgh's main street, I felt much better straight away.

Here is my fiancé's theory about the whole thing - it was fairly warm in the rooms and I was wearing a long sleeved shirt, so could be that I just overheated (it wasn't a hot day, in fact it rained the whole time we were there). We had just eaten so maybe something was upsetting my stomach, making me feel sick. Also, in the room where I suddenly felt unwell, the tour guide was graphically talking about the symptoms of the plague. I'm not squeamish, but you know some people can randomly have an aversion to talking about this sort of thing. He believes that subconsciously I was probably apprehensive about being there.

But honestly, for me it's just such a huge coincidence that I had something happen in the same place twice. To be suddenly so unwell then be totally fine the rest of the day is very weird. Think it's worth mentioning that this time I didn't feel any presence in the room, or even in that other place where I felt unwell.

Needless to say, I'm probably not going to go back for a third time. Who knows what might happen!

Thank you for reading:)

Other hauntings by TriGirl89

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TriGirl89, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-04)
Maybe they have so many people running through the place they are immune. Lose their humanity so to speak, sort of like how anthropologists (especially archaeologists) get.

In the basement room of the anthropology building at my undergrad university, they had boxes upon boxes of bodies and bones they had stolen from the reservation. The elders wanted them back but the professors basically put a ransom on the bones the elders couldn't afford.

The boxes were ruined in a flood, the bones were relocated to the art building I think. The flippant attitude of the profs was disgusting. I'm sure there's a similar attitude at Mary's, although ghosts aren't exactly the same as bones.

I imagine it was a heavily populated area, it still is but not with people living there, just people wandering through snapping pictures and looking around. Kind of confusing for everyone.
TriGirl89 (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-04)
[at] Foxglove - yes, this was in one of the rooms adjacent. I have a feeling they changed the tour from the first time I went which made it all the more confusing about where I was in relation to the doll room! The whole place is so freaky, and apparently the tour guides sometimes go down there alone. Ha ha definitely not a job for me then being a scaredy cat!
[at] shelbyloree - I always think, just imagine how many people must have lived and passed through somewhere like that. The levels of emotion must be like a roller coaster. I think it's been on loads of these ghost hunting shows, think I even saw one where a guy slept down there on his own all night. Yikes! I don't think the tour guides believe all that stuff they tell you and what psychics say, the one we had was pretty happy to pick dolls up in the "doll room" and throw them back down in quite a non caring sort of way (which made me feel so uncomfortable after the two experiences I had as the last think I would want to do would to be upset the spirits!)
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-08-01)
I've had the sick feeling before - it was really rough (I explain in detail with the estate sale story on this site). I have no idea why some come across like that, maybe emotions are so overwhelming for them, that's all they can communicate to others. Bubonic plague is a pretty bad way to go too.

I've never been to Mary Kings Close but did see it featured on a ghost hunting show - wasn't it heavily populated for a few hundred years with the poorer folks of town?

I think that psychic said the whole place was swarming with spirits, even with some guy who had lived there in the 1800's who had been haunted by the 1500's plague ghosts.

Looked like a pretty 'ghost friendly' place.
Foxglove (23 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-27)
I've felt uncomfortable in (I think) the same area of the Close you were describing. Not actually in the "doll room" per se but in an area adjacent to it, if memory serves. Definitely a bad haunt if even I was able to pick up on it! (psychic powers not my forte). I didn't experience anything unusual in the other levels.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: