You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: A Very Brief Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

A Very Brief Encounter

 

I came across YGS a few months ago, and I have to say I have been fascinated by the experiences that others have shared on the site. I have always taken an interest in the paranormal, as the county in England from where I originate is rich in paranormal activity and ghostly stories. I wanted to share an experience of something spooky that happened to me around 15 years ago that I often think about.

My parents took me and my younger brother to Edinburgh, Scotland one summer for a long weekend. Whilst we were there and looking for something to fill an afternoon, my dad saw an interesting leaflet for a place called 'Mary King's Close'. It is a street under buildings in the Old Town which was partially demolished and buried under newer buildings, so everything has been amazingly preserved (if you are ever in the area, you must visit!). It's one of these places which has a reputation for hauntings and has been investigated on TV many times by ghost hunters, mediums etc. There are plenty of pictures online of the place too.

During the tour we were guided into a room in which reportedly has the spirit of a child living in it (I believe it is referred to as 'Annie's room'). Just for descriptive purposes, I thought it would be worth mentioning that in one corner of the room there is a huge pile of toys that people have left for the child's spirit to play with, but the rest of the room is totally stripped back to its wooden beams and plaster work.

Whilst stood still in the centre of the room, I turned my head to look around, and for a couple of seconds something passed by my face. The only way I can describe 'it' was like a solid mist, a couple of feet long and around 3 to 4 feet off the ground (so basically at my eye level). To think about it today, it was sort of like somebody stood in profile, but there were no distinguishable features.

I brushed it off and waited until the end of the tour to tell my dad about it. I have always worn glasses, and his explanation for it was just that it was probably the ceiling light reflecting off the lenses. But here's where it gets weird - my brother was in the gift shop with my mum and came out around 10 minutes after I had told my dad the story. The first thing that came out of his mouth was that he had seen 'something white' that passed close by his face, in the same room as I had and his description of it was the same as mine. My brother doesn't wear glasses and most definitely could not have heard my story. Both as a child and an adult now, he isn't the sort of person who makes up stories. Our parents told us to stop being stupid and it was never spoken about after this.

I haven't spoken to my brother about it and I'm not sure if he would remember. I have often tried to come to conclusions about what it could have been - a reflection, mind tricks, the weather etc. I'm not sure what other people have felt when they encountered a spirit, but at the time I remember feeling inside that it had a presence to it like a person. To this day I still feel like that. I have never been able to quite put in to words how this feels, and it is based on how I feel/felt that convinces me it wasn't a trick of the light.

I would love to know if anyone else who visits this site has been to Mary King's Close and what they thought of it! Hope you enjoyed my story.

Other hauntings by TriGirl89

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TriGirl89, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Caz (342 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-07)
Yes TriGirl... I had an experience in Annie's room when I visited Mary King's Close with my sister about 7 or 8 years ago. We were stood near the back facing the toys and sweets, but the room was very crowded, so we couldn't see very well. After the tour guide finished the talk and most of the crowd had filed out, my sister and I and a few other people lingered for a few moments, to have a good look at the room, when I suddenly felt an icy cold breeze pass my face and my left arm. It made me gasp and I turned to my sister and said "Did you feel that?" and she replied "Feel what?" Just then, a man who was standing behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said "If you mean that very cold breeze, I felt it too!" Not terribly exciting, but the thing is, there are no breezes or draughts in Mary King's Close.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-05)
Hello, TriGirl89... Quite a simple and interesting story... I have googled about this place and it seems good for ghost tour. I am much agree with Macknorton... However there was a determined thought of ghost in your mind but I think it was spirit which you have seen... Thanks for sharing
TriGirl89 (2 stories) (5 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
Hi Mack,

I definitely considered that my mind was playing tricks because the guide told us it was haunted! I do feel like it was a spirit, but even to this day sometimes I do wonder! And yes, it literally passed by and disappeared off to the left side of me.

I'm not sure what the story is of the girl. I believe from previous research that it was claimed she was left down there to starve because she had the plague (although as you know, these places like to embellish stories to make them more spooky!). I feel sad for the spirit because I think that if people keep bringing toys, they are keeping it here on earth 😢

Regards

Trigirl
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
Hi Trigirl89 - thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to YGS. You write very well and you have portrayed your experience very vividly (sorry, I haven't been to Mary Kings Close.)

There's every possibility that you and your brother saw a spirit. When you say it passed close by your and your brothers faces, I assume it then vanished completely?

I'm being devil's advocate here when I say I think that you have to keep in mind that when the majority of people are in a room or building that is reputedly haunted, they are already on edge, nervous, afraid and experience heightened senses. It could be that there was some anomaly of the light and it was an illusion, but you and your brother were really wanting to see something, so you both did.

However...If I'm honest, I'm thinking that you actually did encounter a spirit!

I find it very sad if that is true that there's a child's spirit living there. One would hope it is merely visiting on it's own free will and is not trapped, or haunting that space.

Regards

Mack

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: