You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Woman In The White Wedding Dress

Real Ghost Stories

Woman In The White Wedding Dress

 

My name is Deano I am 32 years old, married, and work as a scaffolder for a small company in cairns far north Queensland Australia. I moved here from a small country town at the top of Victoria called Mildura roughly 8 years ago with my then girlfriend of 3 years.

I have always been very skeptical about ghosts and thought it was just a market to make money... Until that day. It was the middle of summer very hot and humid, me and Angela (my girlfriend) jumped into my work vehicle and was going to go get some lunch and she wanted to go to jb hifi to grab some cd's. With me driving and her in the front passenger seat we were driving down the main road it is called (captain cook highway) when to the left of us on the side of the road was a woman with dark hair and a beautiful white wedding dress... She had a very scared/troubled look on her face and she was lifting up the bottom of her dress so it would not touch the dirty road. It looked like she had no shoes on and the bitumen would have burnt her feet to a crisp.

Once I had driven past her my girlfriend said did you see the woman in the wedding dress I replied yes let's go back and see if she is ok as she looked really upset. So I turned around and headed back. It must have been no more than 40 seconds before we were back to where we spotted her and she was completely gone.

Now this is a highway and there were no houses/people around and there was only horse paddocks and a slight steep cliff so there is no where to go or even hide. Me and my girlfriend were completely in shock and could not believe what we just saw...

I had never told anybody this until recently when my mate Ryan came over, we were watching Netflix some paranormal show was on and I felt comfortable enough to tell him. I told him " hey I think me and my ex girlfriend may have seen a ghost" He said oh yeah were abouts? I said between the Caravonica round about and the Yorkeys round about on the captain cook highway. He looked straight at me and said it wasn't a woman in a wedding dress was it? My skin started crawling! I stammered yes... He said he saw the same thing near Lake placid that is roughly a couple of kilometers from were I saw her! He said he was getting dropped home late one night from a party and he saw her walking on the side of the road...

Thank you for reading my story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dean1985, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dean1985 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-29)
Ok hi all its been a few years since I wrote my encounter and at the time of writing it I had no clue of any story or back ground regarding the woman in the white dress... Now I have found out some facts that may or may not have something to do with my encounter but I will share it with you all... Ok so there is some property across the road from caravonica school that was owned by a man back when it was old smithfield town so late 18 hundreds. It has been found out that his wife committed suicide by hanging herself. He destroyed the home and a new home was built on the property. And it is still there today. Apparently back then that some women were buried in there wedding dress bare footed. Now the house that was rebuilt I think it is this old queenslander that has been abandoned since I been in cairns that is around 10 years... It may have nothing to do with my experience or it may be exactly what I saw... I just thought that people who have read my story and commented would like info that may or not relate to my sighting... Thank you all for reading this and no I am not going into that abandoned house apparently it is full of graffiti and very scary...
Sarsem (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-16)
Hi Deano,

I have spoken to a few friends that have lived in the Cairns/tablelands areas for years and they too have said that her being seen is a common occurrence to the locals.
There hasn't been history that they are aware of, all they know is that through grandparents etc, that legend is don't pick her up, as she causes car accidents. Although I don't know if any stories of car accidents happening there, where they have said they have seen this woman and caused an accident, it may just be a legend passed down through generation to generation to make a scary tale.
I hope that helps some. I'm sorry I don't have more to offer. Good luck with your research๐Ÿ˜Š
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-21)
Hey Deano, this is a good read. The part I liked most was how you drove back to try and help this woman. Did you ever find time to get some pictures from the cemetery or take rubbings from some headstones?

I enjoyed your addition to the Lady in White legend. I'm going to keep an eye out for her the next time I'm in that neck of the woods!
dean1985 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
[at] RANDYM hI Randy Thanks for you comment, I will go out soon and post up some pictures of were I saw her and the old cemetery near there... Just hard to get time off work. Maybe some names on the tombstones may lead me to a potential woman?
RANDYM (2 stories) (266 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-18)
Dean1985
Awesome story
It's these kind that I think are the best and ring the truest
And I would like to add that many a person switches from non believer,to
True believer because of having an experience themselves

Not sure if your a total believer now so let me leave you something mathematical to ponder

Many people believe there is extra terrestrial life just because of the billions of stars and planets.
Let me apply the same logic here.
There are billions of encounters with the afterlife when you consider ghost stories,
Near death experiences, etc. If just 1 of those is true, JUST 1 then it proves life after death. Just 1

Please investigate more and let us know what you find
Randy
dean1985 (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-17)
Hi [at] Tweed no there is no re enactment around this area There just cane fields and a few horse paddocks... Nothing really at all. When I turned around to go back to see if she was ok and she had vanished there was no where for her to hide... And it must have been no more than 50 seconds from when I saw her to when I went back... When I get some time I will post a few pics up for you guys ๐Ÿ˜
dean1985 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-17)
[at] Sarsem hi there, I would love to investigate this further and I am so happy you contacted me threw this site... I am so curious and want to find out who she is...
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-02-16)
Deano, how Ozzie are you? ๐Ÿ˜†

Cool both you and Sarsem have seen this wedding dress wearer. Would there be any kind of historical reenactments in that area? That's the only logical explanation I could think of. Ruling that out, sounds like a ghostie wandering about.

Thanks for sharing. Not every day I read a jb hifi reference lol.
abbykay_luv (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-15)
[at] Dean. Yeah, please get pictures. And I think I get why the wedding dress. In some parts of the world, people are buried in their wedding dress when they die. I think it's a the spirit of some dead woman who just loves to take strolls. Lol
Sarsem (3 stories) (8 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-02-13)
Hi Dean, I'm from Atherton and my husband I used to travel that road a fair bit.
I have seen her as well as my brother who is very sensitive.
I don't know the history. But if you do happen to hear anything I'd be very interested to hear about it.
Glad to hear we aren't the only ones witnessing this.
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-12)
Dean1985 that's really creepy. Any info on the lady? Any background on her?
dean1985 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-12)
[at] Zaruje Yeh I think that if it was night time I would have been frightened. Ryan my mate who saw the same woman in the white wedding dress saw her at night and he said that he was frightened and did not turn around...
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-12)
Wow.that's really unusual. Even though I'm amazed with what you've shared, I still don't want to experience that. If I do, I will automatically step on my gas and go 100mph haha
dean1985 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-12)
Hello [at] Zaruje Thanks for your message... Where I live it is incredibly hot, So seeing a woman in a full wedding dress wearing no shoes walking alongside a main highway is just not herd of in cairns... I will always remember her face she looked distraught and upset. When my girlfriend said did you see that woman in the wedding dress well I knew then I was not imagining things... This is the only encounter I have ever had with something that I believe is not in this world...
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-12)
Hello dean1985. Thank you for sharing this experience. It is really scary. Here in the Philippines we have also many experiences like that. But what intrigued me is your intention to help her coz you even drive around to go back to her. This only shows how good you are. Hope I can read more of your story
dean1985 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
Hi [at] abbykay_luv I have tried to find out more info about the woman in the wedding dress however not much is out there, one thing That I did not mention is that there is a very old and no longer used cemetery right near the lake were my friend Ryan spotted her. It is only a few kilometers from the road where I saw her. I can get pictures if u would like?
abbykay_luv (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-02-11)
Creepy. Thanks for sharing though. Have you researched to see if someone was murdered on her wedding day or something like that? Your friend's is very creepy cos it was night... Wow. Thank goodness he didn't stop to help. Nice story

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: