You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hungry Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Hungry Ghost?

 

I've actually had a couple paranormal experiences. But the one that really sticks out to me is something that happened over my sister and brother-in-law's house.

I was spending the night because I was supposed to be helping my sister with Thanksgiving baking the next day and it was much easier for me to stay the night than to have them come and get me the next day early in the morning. So I it was about 4am and I was still awake, I was actually watching the Glee episode that was a tribute to Finn. I wasn't watching anything that scared me so I was in a good mindset, except for me crying every four minutes because the episode was really sad.

I was just watching TV and all of a sudden I heard what sounded like someone coming down the hallway and into the kitchen. I heard the refrigerator door open and the sound of plastic rustling (it sounded like the plastic that sandwich meat would be in). I didn't want anyone to know that I was still awake so I slumped down into the couch so that whoever had gotten up would think that I was asleep.

I kept hearing the sound, and I just figured it was my brother-in-law getting up to fix himself a late night snack. But the more I heard the noise the more I realized it couldn't be what I thought so I sat up, and turned around to see what was going on and there was no one there. The sound completely went away and I got up to look to see what was causing the noise.

I walked into my sister and brother-in-law's room and they were sound asleep. I checked to see if the cats may have found a plastic bag and were playing with it, they hadn't because they too were sound asleep. I even checked on the dogs, the dogs were sound asleep. When my sister and brother-in-law woke up a little later, I asked them if one of them had gotten up in the middle of the night to fix a snack and they both said they hadn't come out to the kitchen to fix themselves anything to eat, and they didn't hear the noise either so I was the only witness to this strange activity.

My sister has since reported odd things here and there happening, for example: a toy firetruck will suddenly turn on for no reason, and this toy firetruck has no batteries. So whatever is making it turn on is something completely unnatural.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, moodyblue4, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
My first cat (gato) was a Grey Tabby, a big Bruiser of a Fellow... However I was maybe 3-4 when we got him and his fur was thick, soft and fluffy I named him Puff. He ruled our neighborhood for close to 12 years...

Anyway, we should return to the original purpose of these comments... To offer advice and or help to the O/P.

Respectfully,

Rook
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
We shall fund a community called Our Real Pet's Stories (LOL)
Well, partly kind of similar to Henrique, first he was called Peles Pretas which is Black fur in Portuguese, than my sister shortened it to "Peletas", I complained saying it sounded like Batatas which is potatoes in Portuguese, then he was re-named Henrique chosen by a Name Dictionary "flip-flop-lucky-drop" by Aurora herself, dropping the dictionary on the floor. It coincidently is a Portuguese name as well and so I and my sister both went peaceful LOL, no really that's how we ended calling the black fluf Henrique LOL

Oh, I think I forgot to apologize to the OP too. Em... The theory on your father or your brother visiting is possible, if things like that kept happening and it did not bother you too much, no fears and cheers!

E.Lynx
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Melda & Roylynx

I probably should explain - the reason I mentioned that our cat was female was not because I thought people wouldn't understand Matilda was a female name, but because I assumed that it was predominantly the male cats who went out at night marking territory and fighting etc (I really have no idea πŸ˜†) so I thought that it was an important piece of information that our cat was female AND slept inside all night...however, I'm sure there are female cats who go out at night and create havoc. Maybe there needs to be a global study...

Rook - Ha! I like it. On the subject of cat names: I was always a dog person growing up and only owned my first cat when I got married and my wife was keen to get one. I wasn't so sure about owning a cat so as a compromise, I named it "Dog". Then my young kids named it "Cheeseball McApple Core", which was then shortened to "Cheeseball". Rest assured, that cat showed no obvious signs of psychological harm having those names, and lived to a ripe old age.

Apologies if I have derailed the original story and posts somewhat further...

Regards

Mack
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
(Sorry can't resist...)

The Naming Of Cats...

The naming of cats is a difficult matter

It isn't just one of your holiday games

You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter

When I tell you a cat must have three different names

First of all, there's the name that the family use daily

Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo, or James
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey -

All of them sensible, everyday names

There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames

Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter -
But all of them sensible, everyday names

But I tell you a cat needs a name that's particular

A name that's peculiar, and more dignified

Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?

Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum

Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo or Coricopat
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum -

Names that never belong to more than one cat

But above and beyond there's still one name left over

And that is the name that you never will guess;

The name that no human research can discover

But the cat himself knows, and will never confess

When you notice a cat in profound meditation

The reason, I tell you, is always the same

His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name

His ineffable, effable, effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular name
Name, name, name, name, name, name...

(Thank you A.L. Webber and T. S. Eliot)

We now return you to the regularly scheduled comments for this experience. πŸ˜‰

Respectfully,

Rook
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Macknorton and Melda, True, all cats are different like all of us and by the way I know Matilda is a female name (LOL). Well, I shall do more research next time before I will be the one pushing one's opinion to others😳

Anyhow, thanks for responding, for me it's a good lesson lol Peace on Earth guys and gals!

E.Lynx
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-17)
Macknorton - I read your comment a few hours ago and it really tickled me!

Now I have read it again and have taken the route of being silly: Firstly because you found it necessary to explain that Matilda is a female (okay perhaps Roylynx isn't familiar with all English names).

Secondly the song "Waltzing Matilda" just burst into my mind πŸ˜†

By the way I have a cat, Toby, (male!) who does what Matilda does, except that he sleeps with my husband and I. All our children have already flown the coop 😊

Regards, Melda
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-16)
Hi Roylynx

For what it's worth, and I appreciate there literally millions of domestic cats who probably all do different things, but our cat "Matilda" (female) sleeps on either my wife and my bed, or one of our kids beds at night.

It's very unusual for her to be out all night. She also sleeps a lot during the day. What a great life...😊

Regards

Mack
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-16)
No offence at all I was just wondering, Aurora (My previous cat) too, used to sleep during day time but as she aged she started to become active during night time, and slept during day time, that definitely had affected Henrique (My house cat now), I asked a local vet for that and she told me that cats are supposed to be a night creature, so I thought everyone else just let their cats be active during nights. I had only 2 cats in my life so far, one already passed away due to a tragic. AND I am a cat lover too, don't get me wrong.

E.Lynx
Julie_W696 (11 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-16)
I'm wondering if E.Lynx has had a lot of cats in his life. As someone who has had cats almost all of my life, I can tell you that house cats (as opposed to barn or stray cats) will often sleep when their humans do - mine did. Paige (black Persian) would sleep on my chest, Tasha (grey Tabby) would sleep on my legs, and Georgie (orange and white Tabby) would sleep on my head (all at the same time) with Boss (black & white long-hair) sleeping off to the side. Doesn't mean they won't sleep other times too, but it's not unusual for the cats (and dogs) to be sleeping at night.

Julie
roylynx (guest)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-10)
Oh my... How sad to hear about your brother and your dad... I am really sorry.

So your cat sleeps at night and stays awake as a habit? Interesting... I shall train my cat to stay asleep during midnights too.

E.Lynx
moodyblue4 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-10)
[at] roylynx: The cats fell asleep pretty quickly that night, just like every other night. Nothing in the house except for me was awake or moving. I can't explain the sound because I haven't heard it since because I haven't spent the night at my sister's house since that happened (not because of fear). My sister has told me that she has heard a few things but nothing truly terrifying. And also an answer to your question, our dad and our brother both passed away, but not in that house. When the fire truck goes off it's a standing joke with my sister and I now that we say "oh John, (our brother) is visiting."
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2017-05-08)
When I see your title I was thinking of the Hungry Ghost that I had some information of, the Gaki (Hungry Ogre). It is a ghost of Asian Myths, legends says when the Gaki would appear people around will starve to death. But when I read on it's nothing like that.

One thing, cats are supposed to be active during night time, did they fell asleep just that night?

Yes there is a chance of some activities of spirits, but other than the toy fir truck, what else had happened? Has anything unusual happen in your house, like someone close being sick, passed away, etc?

E.Lynx

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: