You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Hungry Ghost Festival

Real Ghost Stories

Hungry Ghost Festival

 

For those who are unfamiliar with the Chinese culture, the Hungry Ghost Festival falls on the 7th month of the lunar calendar. It is the month where all the ghosts are released from Hell, like a spring break. So as tradition goes, every start of the 7th month, we will prepare offerings like rice, roast pork and tea to fill their hunger. And we will burn incense for 'them' so that they will not cause us any trouble.

A few nights ago, I decided to help my mom with the ritual before I went to a party. We laid out the offerings by the roadside and lit 2 red candles by the sides like the usual alter. We took out 3 sticks of incense, light it and I prayed for my safety on the road because I just bought my car not long ago. After which, I leaned forward and planted the joss sticks into the ground. As I was trying to get back up, I saw a dark shadow at the corner of my eye. The moment I turned towards my left, the shadow swirled and vanished. This happened in less than 2seconds. I wasn't SCARED scared but I did have a bit of a HUH!? In my heart silently maybe because it was too fast to register. I decided that it MUST be my shadow as I was standing under the lamp post and stopped my thoughts from running wild.

A Few hours and a couple of shots later, I was pretty tipsy but I still managed to drive. There were 6 of us and my friend's place was like 5mins away from where we were, so I thought I'll take the risk to drop them off. OF ALL DAYS, I did a wrong turn and landed myself on this road towards a police road block. (Drink driving is a serious offence in Singapore. Penalty is usually a compound of $3000 - $5000 and revocation of the driving license plus a 2 year suspension. Maybe even a jail term.)

As we moved closer towards the police stop, they took the breathalyzer test on all the drivers in front of me. Everyone in the car started to panic. I kept repeating in my head that "I'm going to die! I'm going to fail the breathalyzer test. I'm screwed!" and tried my best to look sober and less worried. When it was my turn, the police took a look at me, and gave me the signal to drive through.

I couldn't explain how god damn relieved I was! But then again, the police was just right in front of me, how could he not see that we have 6 people in the car? Was I really that lucky? Or did I get my prayers answered?

Please read more posts on www.dontworryaboutdit.blogspot.com

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Singapore

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dithium, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
I had quit the site for awhile, so my older comments all say guest. Guess it does look a little odd lol.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
I have two questions.
1] WHY IS BJJ A "GUEST" DOWN IN THE COMMENTS BELOW?
2] I am sure that the poster is aware of their stupid actions and has never made a comment, or even another story, since posting this one. I just don't see a point getting all worked up over it when they don't come on here anymore and others have already made the concern.
CanadainGhostStories (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-08)
I know this is seriously delayed, and this is my first ever post, and it has nothing to do with the "sprit" in your story. All I can say is HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID? Every year, thousands of people are killed by drunken idiots, that think that it is okay to drive when they have had a few drinks. You could have killed you and everyone in that car. For Gods sake, you could have killed a small child. I understand that it was late at night, but stranger things than that have happened. Irresponsible people like you make me sick. If you could afford to just by a car, you could afford to pay for a taxi, or hire someone sober to pick you up. If you're still doing stunts like that, you probably should have just forgot about buying a car, if you've been doing that for the past four years, you've probably gone through about 10 cars by now, or with any luck, your license has been taken away permanently. That is what you deserve.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-09-10)
Maybe spirits did have you pass through the DUI check point in hopes that you were inebriated enough to cause an accident. Who knows. It's a foolish thing to do no matter what & sorry but I must say, shame on you. But bless you & yours. Much love.

~LSD~
hippiechick83 (5 stories) (112 posts)
+7
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
I agree with zzsgranny and BadJuuJuu. There is no excuse for drunk driving. I became a widow at 24 because of a drunk driver. My little girl never got to meet her father thanks to someone just like you... Someone who thinks nothing to get behind the wheel after having a few drinks. Although I liked the beginning of your story, I doubt a spirit saved you from being busted by the cops because you were blitzed. 😠 You're lucky that you didn't kill yourself or someone else that night.
Lucy1 (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
I have read much about that particular festival - it sounds steeped in Chinese history and extremely respectful to the dead. What you saw may have been a spirit or 'entity' whatever you want to call it. If it actually swirled around right in front of your eyes - that would be more paranormal to me too. Was there a wind at the time? I'm thinking not as you seemed to light candles and incense without much trouble.
I don't think the spirit had much to do with the police but you never know. Everyone makes bad decisions so just learn from it and know that perhaps it was a sign that you're 'being watched.' Perhaps by your elders or guardians.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+7
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
dithium: Yea, what Connie said... There are reasons for stiff penalties...Please, don't let the financial aspect of drunk driving be the only reason you don't...Could you really live with yourself if you took the life of another human being because of your selfish irresponsibility?...

Okay, that aside, I think the shadow you saw could have been a spirit awaiting the the gifts you were offering, and chose not to bother you because of that...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+9
14 years ago (2010-09-09)
I'm just going to be mean and come right out and say it. There is no excuse for drunk driving. Ever. You didn't get lucky at all. The people in your car got lucky you didn't have an accident. Other people on the road got lucky you didn't have an accident. Look up the statistics on how many accidents are caused by drunk driving.
Ok, hopping off my soapbox now.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: