You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Am I Haunted?

Real Ghost Stories

Am I Haunted?

 

I'd like to share the strangest of the strange moments I've had here but first I need to explain this: I live in a 3rd story apartment building on the 1st floor. Before this became an apartment building, I believe the first floor was a laundromat and a store back in the day. Half was the laundromat, half was the store.

Back in '03 I had a pet rabbit named Alaska (RIP, buddy, I miss you). Due to the rules the landlord had set, he had to be kept in the basement. My grandfather built him a cute little house-looking thing for him to be kept in. One night I went downstairs to feed him. Keep in mind I've ALWAYS thought the basement was eerie. As I was was facing his cage and putting the bowl of water inside, a big shadow appeared behind me, as if a big, tall man were standing behind me. I turned around and nobody was there, but I got the distinct feeling that I was being watched. I basically dropped the water bowl and ran upstairs yelling for my mom. Ever since then I can't go down there alone.

Last year, my mom was doing the dishes in the kitchen. We don't have a dishwasher, so she would set the dishes in the plastic dish dryer next to the sink. We talked for a moment and I left the room for a second. When I came back my mom exclaimed, "Did you do that?!" I said "Huh?" and she pointed to where the wet dishes were drying. There was a glass placed perfectly straight and standing up on top of all the dishes. It wasn't there when I left the room and I was only gone for about 3 seconds. Not to mention the glass wasn't even wet...

My room has to be the room I feel most creeped out in. Once I was trying to get to sleep, and I sleep with the lights off. All of sudden I felt the urge to leave the room, almost like a gut feeling, but I couldn't get out of my bed, I was too scared. The feeling of someone peering at me was so intense, I was physically afraid to move or breathe. I opened my blinds to let the street light in (my lamp is across the room), thinking the light would help me feel better to move. That did nothing. I must have sat there on my bed for about fifteen minutes before I leapt out of my bed and out my room. I didn't sleep in there that night. I've never felt anything so intense!

Another time, I couldn't sleep. Literally. It was almost as if someone was trying to physically keep me awake. Every time I closed my eyes and almost drifted off to sleep my eyes would snap open in terror. It's like I was scared to sleep, like someone wouldn't let me. I finally fell asleep around five thirty in the morning.

Then there's all the little things, like seeing things in the corner of my eye, hearing doors open or close when I'm home alone, the feeling of being watched. Once when my sister wasn't home (we share a room) I heard someone breathing from her bed and heard the sheets rustle. Last week, I felt someone poking me in the shoulder when I was alone in my room. Over Christmas break, I had sleep paralysis three times. Sometimes (actually... quite often) I'll be looking at something and I'll see one or more contorted, angry faces.

I realize that when one is looking for something to happen, or creeps themselves out, they can make things happen or imagine it. These are the moments in which I know nothing was imagined, so I wanted to share them and get your opinions. Thanks so much.

Other hauntings by Tiffy

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Rhode Island

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tiffy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

HauntingAndrew (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-02)
I get the same eerie in my like someone is always by my side watching me. I feel there is an angry ghost in my house like he wants something from me but I can't put my finger on it. Thanks Tiffy for all your experiences.
Thealoneone (1 stories) (77 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-27)
This ghost is interested in you for some reason, perhaps he wants to meet you for some reason? Maybe he wants to help you with something.

The ghost trying to keep you awake is probably because he wants you to go downstairs to the basement and meet you. Also, when you get near the ghost, do you feel warm or cold?

Please reply to this by emailing me at droid.181 [at] hotmail.com
Just put the subject as RE:am I haunted?
GhostTracker (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-04)
Your story is nice. Thank you for publishing this story.

You have what I have, I don't know the name of this thing but I will find out soon.

I hope you get better and move to another house because I dislike haunted houses.
Tiffy (5 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-10)
nepaivnestigations-- I actually have a couple pictures with an orb in them, both in different spots, with each picture a few seconds apart. Maybe I could get Martin to put them up on this story page.
nepaivnestigations (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-09)
Hi Tiffy,

Have you ever thought of taking some pictures around your house to see what happens? Ghost hunters use tons of different equipment to check for parnormal activity, but you can do your part as well. Snap some pictures when your in your room and you feel something. Keep a camera near your bed, but check the pictures in the morning (You want to be able to fall asleep that night!) If you get anything, then you should reach out to someone. There are many groups in New England, dedicated to helping people out. We're New England Paranormal Association, and we are one of these groups. If you'd like, we'd be more than happy to help you out.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-29)
Hi Tiffy, excuse me again.

Hi hbdave. I have never read nor have I ever heard that during a smudge you have to have your windows and doors open to let the ghost out. Where did you learn this? Why would a GHOST need a door or window open to leave anyway?

Shelby ❤ 😊
hbdave (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-28)
Response to the comment "Perform a smudging ceremony and try using whatever tools fall within your beliefs...": I don't recommend performing a smudge if you don't know what you're doing. If you are interested in a smudge (they do work) ask a local elder of a Native Tribe. I wouldn't want you do mess up the smudge and do yourself harm. I heard of a guy who had a ghost follow him home after ghost hunting at a local house. He read about a smudge and he performed it as read. Unfortunately it did not inform him to open his windows and doors to let the spirits out of his house. Needless to say the spirits trapped in his house were not happy and made him know it. Again, if you want something like that done, ask a professional who knows what they are doing - for your safety.
Tiffy (5 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Shelby- I heard a lot about poltergiests and such but never heard that a person can create it. I'm going to read up on that.

to funnylaugh- I'm not sure. Either it was his time or because of not drinking enough water. He could've died of dehydration.

FUNNYLAUGH (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
hi can you reply to this question?
What did your pet rabbit die of?

❤ funnylaugh
FUNNYLAUGH (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
SCARY!
i can't believe your rabbit died!
maybe a ghost was related to your rabbits death?
RIP TO YOUR RABBIT AND GOOD LUCK TIFFY!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Excuse me Tiffy.

Hello Cody13Smith. I think that you are really terrifying yourself to the point you cannot sleep until you've been up so long you have to go to sleep. I know what you are going through because when I was your age, a long time ago, I used to do the same thing. I didn't have a schedule. I have a vivid imagination and I use to scare myself to the point that I could not and would not sleep without my t.v on at night. Although the t.v. Comforted me to the point where I could shut my eyes I would be distracted by what was on the t.v. And start watching it. STILL not getting much sleep. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture and you really need to try relaxing by reading a NICE book not a SCARY book before you go to bed and definitely not this site anywhere near the time you go to bed. It is not only stress relieving but it will make you very sleepy. Trust me on this. Try not to rely on pills to help you go to sleep and if you do end up getting medication to help you sleep, you MUST be careful. There are sooo many people that die from accidental overdoses with sleep medication. There was this young man who used to live across the street from me. He was going to be 27 years old. He had problems sleeping and his doctor gave him sleep medication to help him get a good nights rest. Well, his roommates found him dead in his bed. They left in the morning and when they came back late that afternoon, he was still sleeping, so they thought until they opened his door and found him blue and not breathing. I am not tryting to scare you or anything, I know you are young, but medications aren't always the way to go, try other things first. If you do end up having to take something, be careful and try a natural medicine rather than something from your doctor. Oh, one more thing, noises at night in your home are usually the same noises that go on during the day, you just don't notice them because it is not quiet during the day. Temperature change from day to night can also make things creek and crack and make funny noises.
Shelby ❤ 😊
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Hey Tiffy. I cannot believe you are 17 years old and have never heard of poltergeist activity being brought on by energy from a teenager. You should really read up on it. True poltergeist activity usually only lasts one or two months only to disappear as quickly as it came. Sometimes it comes back though. It may be months later or even longer.
Shelby ❤
Tiffy (5 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Bellissima, I'm 17 years old. I've never heard anything about teenage energy making poltergiest activity, but it sounds rather interesting how a person's energy can create things such as I experienced.
Cody13Smith (5 stories) (54 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
i have had a lot of experiences with not being able to sleep it ruiend my sleep cycle(thanks a lot ghosties) and sometimes I want to get to sleep I won't be able to and when I want to stay up I get tired it is so weird usually I see a lot of things in the corner of my eye like a shadow or an actual person but they are not even there(maybe it's my hair 😲) usually I would be up because someone is on the computer listening to music or laundry but a couple times I would hear the floors creak but I don't mind those because usually someone walking around but I can tell if it is from a person or something not solid because I know everyones sleep cycle around my house(except for me I do not have one) and if it is like 3 am it will not be anyone of my knowing I am usually up until 2 am everyday sometimes 1 or 3 it changes from time to time(I am thinking of getting medication) this has probobly been my longest comment ever 😲
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Hi Tiffy. I was wondering a few things. Do things seem only to happen when you are around? Do you happen to be a teenager? I ask because it may be possible that you are experiencing poltergeist activity created by your own energy, overactive emotions and raging hormones. If this is the case then it's something you'll just have to wait out. There's nothing you can do about it. If that's the case, I would have to say the shadow in the basement is a separate issue. Maybe it's an entity attached only to the basement. Try telling the spirit that it frightens you and tell it to move on, you don't want it there. Perform a smudging ceremony and try using whatever tools fall within your beliefs. Of course that means you'll have to be brave and go down to the basement to do this. Look at it this way, the one scary experience of going down to the basement to tell 'him' to leave could rid you of 'him' altogether. As I said I experienced things very similar to you and I'm nowhere near my teen years(!), so I'm not doubting you in any way, this is just something else to consider. Good luck!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Hey Tiffy. There has been a couple times in my life where I was petrified! Meaning I was sooo scared I couldn't move if I wanted to. It happened when I was very young.
Shelby ❤ 😊
Tiffy (5 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Just to be clear whitebuffalo, the thing with the opening of the shades, I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was frozen by paralysis as you thought, I was simply just too afraid to move and wouldn't because that's how terrified I was. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

And while I appreciate Frawin's comment I have to say again that these were moments that I wasn't in anyway looking for anything or expecting it, just to be clear.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Well, Tiffy. Sounds as if you have seen a few things in your young life.
The basement thing could have just been the "creepies" sneaking in. You admit that the basement had always scared you before, so perhaps through the power of suggestion, your mind created a frightening feeling for you.
The dishes in the drainboard, though it sometimes takes a bit of talent, can be done. Provided you have the right kind of dishes (we happen to) and there is a wet ring just around the lip of the glass. If you lean the plates just right, a glass has been known to seem to "climb" up the plates. Not saying this is what happened in your case. I have no idea as to the angle of dishes or the condition of the glass, just saying something quite similar happened in OUR home, and it was not connected with the paranormal. Only a science project.
Wayward thoughts can sometimes create an atmosphere of unease and prevent sleeping. I think as you opened your shade, though you could not move afterwards, this was not an episode of Sleep Paralysis (if you were paralysed, I do not think you would have been able to open the shade).
I am NOT saying these were not due to the paranormal, just encouraging you to take a look around to see if there may be another explanation. I was not there and in this story, a lot of it is hard for me to picture. But that is just me.
If you feel this is all due to the paranormal I would check to make sure burning a lavender incense would be acceptable in your apartment. Sounds like you have a bit of resistance from the parental figures, so I would check first. You do not want to deal with anything negative one THAT end either.
Keep us posted. I am curious to see more answers to the comments that could lend a bit more light on this whole experience.
Thank you.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-23)
Hi Tiffy. I experience the shadows, the feelings of being watched and a lot of 'all the little things' too, all the time. I don't find it frightening, mostly interesting and a little entertaining sometimes. The glass balancing on the dishes would be a little freaky, I've never experienced anything like that. So far things don't seem threatening for you in any way but just ask the spirit to leave you alone, leave your house and tell him you just don't want him there. Tell him loved ones are waiting for him and will keep him safe. Thanks for sharing your story, I hope things calm down for you.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
I have never experienced sleep paralysis which I'm sure is very scary. I know kids can have night terrors when they are upset about something. I think when we are going through stressful times we can have strange dreams or waking dreams that seem very real unlike most of our jumbled run of the mill dreaming. Now the glass on top of the dishes that would have freaked me out. I tend to be leary of things that happpen when in our beds. On the other hand the dish and glass incident tells me you may have a spirit hanging about. I have heard breathing a few times in my life but again I was in bed so I can't take that as too serious. I did hear it once while out on our upper deck (off the middle bedroom) and I also heard an audible groan/growl type sound out there but I also know sound traveling upwards can be deceiving. There is a dog in the next yard below this deck but I know the sounds the dog makes and this wasn't one of them. I even got up to check to see if the dog was in the yard and she wasn't.I really don't have an explanation for it and it was broad daylight and I was very much awake at the time.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
Hi Tiffy. Thank you for sharing your story with us. While your story was enjoyable, I must say that a lot of what you experienced was due to an overactive imagination. When someone gets keyed-up and expects to see or hear something, most of the time they do. I believe that you believe you hear and see things, so to you they are real. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
Hey Tiffy. I really haven't "LOST" the ability at all. I think I had more time in my life when a lot of the negative things were happening. I know for sure that I was going through some tough and stressful times when I was receiving these visits from these dark entities. I am much happier in my life now and ALOT more busy with having a big family to tend to. Anyway, I'm hoping that I never see those dark blobs or figures again! As for the other things, I think that they will always continue to be around my whole life. I don't mind the silly or interesting stuff, I just don't like the frightening stuff! Thanks for reading my stories. Keep us updated. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
Tiffy (5 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
Hey guys, thanks for responding...

Melonlover-I seem to be the only one in my family to experience these things, my mom occaisonally, but I'm also the ONLY one to stay and want to stay aware of the life we can't see, basically I'm the only one to believe in it. So maybe that's why its only me having these things happen to me.

Mustang-I really enjoyed your stories, especially 'Shadows in my Life'. Your right, your experiences were a lot like mine! I hope when I'm older I don't lose touch with the "unseen world"

I will keep you all updated-- I also forgot to add a detail. Few months ago I went in my kitchen to head to the bathroom. Lights off, late at night. The bathroom is off of the kitchen, the refridgerator about three feet from the bathroom door. I was entering the room and I heard someone clicking their fingernails on the side of the fridge. There was no mistaking that sound! When I told my dad about it in the morning and cut me off because it creeped him out-- because the fridge is next to his bedroom.
melonlover (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
That's quite intense like you said! But I think that the spirit lives in the aprtment and even though if it only happens to you, I've heard that sometimes spirits choose who hears/feels/sees them? Not sure if its true but anyway keep updated 😁. ❤ melonlover
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
hmmmmm, I think I will reserve comment on this story for a later time.

God Bless!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-22)
Hi Tiffy. I understand everything that you are feeling. I have had, and still do have the same experiences as you and then some. I do not think that you are haunted. I used to think the same thing as you. I think you are just sensitive to things 'unseen' around you. Check out my stories, "Shadows In My Life" and "Grandmother" so you can see some of the things that have happened to me. I still see and feel things but not as bad as I used to. I believe it's because I'm too busy with a family of 6 to deal with anything that wants to play! ~Shelby ❤ 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: