You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: I Saw my First Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

I Saw my First Ghost

 

I submitted a story not too long ago about my grandma on my dad's side and her supposedly haunted house. This story is about my grandma on my mom's side of the family, and no doubt, her house is definitely haunted!

When my mom was younger, she moved from Portugal to the US, into Rhode Island and settled into the house which my grandma still lives in. My mom tells me the house was always weird and she'd always hear things.

At night, she would be in her bedroom on the second floor and hear someone walking up the stairs. But nobody ever emerged onto the second floor, all she heard were footsteps. In the basement, when you put your ear to the wall, you could hear someone heavily breathing through the concrete.

I always knew the house was a bit off and sort of creepy, but until the past summer, I now know someone definitely haunts the house, and I had the experience of seeing my first ghost.

Me and my younger sister Victoria decided to sleep over my grandma's house one day over the summer. School was starting in a few weeks so I think it was towards the end of August when this happened. We slept fine through the night but I opted to keep the television on while we fell asleep because we were both nervous about sleeping with the lights off in her house.

The next morning we ate breakfast, watched some tv, and I decided to go upstairs and gather my things because my grandma had to go to work in an hour so we were leaving soon. I grabbed my backpack and set it on the bed. I was looking down at the bed as I put my stuff inside it, but I could see the doorway out of the corner of my eye.

This is one of the creepiest things that I've ever experienced. As I was glancing down at my bad, I saw a very pale woman with white hair in a white nightgown stagger by the doorway. Then I heard the light switch in the other room being flicked up and down for about 10 seconds. Then it stopped and I waited for someone to emerge from the room. I thought maybe it was my grandma or sister. This still gives me the chills when I think about it; I stepped into the other room and looked around and NOBODY WAS THERE. I looked around all on the second floor (it's not that big-- a bathroom, 2 bedrooms, and a small living room with the door to the attic). Nobody was there at all, it was just me! I got freaked out as I clumsily stuffed the rest of my stuff in my bag and ran downstairs. I didn't go back up there that day.

I told my mom about it after and she translated it to my grandma (she's Portuguese and not too good with English, nor can I speak Portuguese). She got creeped out. My mom told me that when her great-grandma was still living and quite often fell down the stairs (she lived with them), that often it felt as though someone pushed her hard.

A few months ago I was in the backyard and out of the corner of my eye I saw a little girl in a blue dress run by and go behind the bushes. When I looked, nobody was there. My cousins and siblings were there, but none of them wore a blue dress.

I'd really like to see the history of this house, but I don't know how I do that.

Other hauntings by Tiffy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Rhode Island

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tiffy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Demon_Kid (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-08)
AHHH scary! 😨 😨 😨 I don't think I would ever want to see a dead pale womaAHHHHHHHH omg I'm so scared ahh but not as bad as m y life is turning out now...
Tiffy (5 stories) (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-27)
Hi Jen, thanks for reading my story.
I'm from Bristol, RI. 😊 😜 What about you?
~Tiffany
JenHolmes (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-24)
Hey Tiffy I was just wondering what part of RI you're from...I'm also from RI and saw things all my life and I was wondering if its a location thing...
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Hi Tiffy. Thank you for sharing your story with us, I enjoyed it very much. You can get the "paper history" of the house from the county courthouse where you live, this will tell you who owned it at different times but your best info comes fom oldtimers in the area because they can give you details that the papers don't.Happy hunting.

FRAWIN 😊
xcxhxexrxrxyx (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Hi

that sounds like a great story!
At least the ghosts were not evil!
I believe that ghosts stick around if they don't realise they are dead or need to do some unfinished buisiness.
If you see a ghost again it might become a reucurring thing so maybe wen you are ready you should try talking to them
I hope I have helped 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-20)
Hi Tiffy.
I would say that the elderly woman that you saw and he ensuing sounds of the light switch being flipped repeatedly were a residual haunting. It rather sounds like she was in the act of doing things that she had on a regular basis in the past. Sounds like there may have been a bit of an electrical (or bulb) problem at one point, as the switch needed to be "played with". I have one of those sticky switches.
Have you seen the little girl in the yard again? I would like to think that she was so happy in this home that she came back to play.
Probably the best way to start an investigation on that particular home would be to ask your grandmother if she can remember anything, possibly ask the neighbors. Often times they have better information than the records in the clerks offices. It is a good place to start out, though.
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: