You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Grocery Store Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Grocery Store Ghost

 

In August of 1994 I started working at a small mom and pop type grocery store in the small town where I live. After having worked there for little over a year, I was promoted to evening manager with the responsibility of making sure the store was cleaned and the register was cleared and counted, ready for the next day's business.

One evening in the spring of '96, I had an experience that I shall never forget. I had already locked up for the night (we closed at 9:00 pm), finished mopping and was in the office counting up the register when it started.

I first heard what sounded like a radio that was off-station turned up full blast. I left the office, thinking it was the intercom going haywire, but upon inspection found that it was turned off. I then proceeded to check out the stockroom and meat room. When I got at the meat room door that's when the moaning, wailing, crying and crazy laughing started, in addition the the static sound. I was starting to get a little spooked, not thinking spooks or anything but that maybe someone was inside the store trying to scare me or scare me off. I immediately went to the office and got the 357 magnum and made a thorough sweep of the store both inside and out and found absolutely nothing. Now I was scared, now I was thinking spooks.

All the time that I was checking, the sounds were still going on, I had isolated them to the meat room and I wanted someone else to hear them for my own sanity's sake. I called the day shift meat cutter and talked to his wife but he wasn't at home. By the time I hung the phone up and got back into the meat room the sounds stopped. I was standing in the meat room trying to comprehend what had just happened when, for the first time, I heard talking that I could understand. It was a man and a woman.

The woman said, "Do you think he's had enough," to which the man replied, "No, let's do it again..." It then started up all over again, even louder.

Even though I was scared, I wasn't going to let it run me out before I finished doing my job. My employer, whom I considered a friend as well, was counting on me and I wasn't going to let him down. I went back to the office and finished up, in record time I might add.

About the time I finished, the noise stopped and the phone rung. It was the butcher wanting to know what was wrong, his wife told him that I sounded like I was scared to death. I told him that I would tell him the next day, that I was going home.

The next day I told the butcher what happened and asked him to not tell the boss. Well he told him anyway and the next thing I knew I was called in the office to recount the whole story again. Oh great, now the boss will think that his evening manager is loony tunes. To my surprise he believed me and made me promise that if it happened again, to call him. He told me that he had heard stuff there too but not on this big a scale.

I have seen and heard other things in my nearly thirteen years working at that store but this was by far the most upsetting.

[note from the webmaster: the author of this story has informed us in november 3, 2016 that he was actually victim of a hoax]

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FRAWIN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-02)
Dear community: Recently the author of this story has contacted us with the information that this entire scenario/s was a hoax perpetrated by the shop owner.
FRAWIN is and has been a very reputable part of the community and has expressed his sincere apology as he feels he has let us down. I think we should, in return, thank him for coming forward and letting us know.
These things happen, and it's unfortunate that there are still those who would make light of our belief in the paranormal in an attempt to make us appear crazy or dumb, or just to spoof us in order to get a laugh.
Thumbs up to you FRAWIN, and thank you for your honesty! ❤ ❤ ❤
Thegrinch17 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-11)
WOW! Thanks for a very interesting story, Frawin! Has anything else happened at that store? I'd be interested in hearing about it! ❤
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
Hello Francois. Thank you for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed my story. As far as grabbing the gun instead of the sage, well my first instinct was that it was either someone outside trying to scare me or someone had hid in the store and was trying to scare me off -if that had been the case then sage would have been useless but the "ole 357" would've worked wonders.
I know that I'm not an expert on the paranormal but I have had more than my share of experiences -before and after I had this experience.
Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Francois (220 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
Dear Frawin,

Nice story Frawin. I liked the dialogue between the male and female ghost. It sounded pretty funny and a bit scary. Your loyalty to your job and your will not to let your boss down was great. I guess because of this experience, you seem pretty acquainted with the supernatural. As for the 357 magnum, like what whitebuffalo said, you should have grabbed the sage instead.

Thank you for posting your experience and sharing it with the yourghoststories community. I am looking forward to your next story, if one does occur. God bless you and take care.

Sincerely,

Francois 😁
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-24)
Courage,stupidity,stubbornness,pride -sometimes it's hard for me to tell the difference. I wasn't about to let something I couldn't see run me out. Sure I was scared but I was more stubborn than scared, besides I had my pride. As far as it sticking with me -I'll remember it until the day I die.
Thanks for your comment. Take Care.

FRAWIN
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-23)
And people think I'M crazy! You had some massive courage for staying in a store after hearing all that. VERY good read. This one will stick with me for some time.
essiej (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-29)
HI Mr. FRAWIN. My moms people who worked with her heard a carriage ride up to one of the gas stations she worked at. Took mom awhile, and she thought maybe it was her imagination, but she heard it too. I think she did hear it and was trying not to.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hi Chris. I don't think that anyone is mad at you for your absence, we all have this thing called life and responsibility that interferes with our amusements. As far as trying to make contact with spirits, I haven't tried-maybe someday I will. I believe that certain people are more open to the parnormal than others-I guess that I'm one of those people. I know that I've had more than my share of encounters.
Take care my friend and we'll talk later.

FRAWIN 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hi Frawin. Its been a long time since I have been here. I have been doing a lot of work around the house. I hope all of you are not mad at me? I lovedc your story. Kind of creepy. I think there is something in you that let's you see more. Like these ghost kind of want to make contact maybe? Did you ever try? I hope to hear from you soon and take care
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Hello FUNNYLAUGH. I don`t really know if what I heard that night was meant for me personally or if it was residual. Both scenarios have been suggested and both makes sense. I am still undecided, for years I thought it was aimed at me but now I`m beginning to wonder if I just stumbled into it at the right time.
As for the history of the place, I know that there has been a store in the building for at least 45 years -that I can attest to. I knew the last three owners personally. Prior to to this I am told there has been a store in the same area dating back to the 1900`s.The store was built in "sections",each new owner expanding the store. The last addition being added roughly 30 years ago. The area in which I lived was first settled in 1803 and what happened on this land in the early years are untelling. As Tonith pointed out in an earlier post the KKK was active in these parts and they don`t have a very good reputation. They committed vicious acts of cruelty against not only the Negros but to anyone that didn`t go along with their way of thinking. Although the negros were their priminary targets.

FRAWIN 😊
FUNNYLAUGH (23 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
That is really weird!
Maybe in victorian times the man worked in the butchers, and has come back to protect his buisness!
But for the woman I don't know. Because women never worked in shops...
Maybe she was the butchers girlfriend or wife?
I don't know butthey want to annoy you because theyre bored, and cheeky!
This story has inrestedme the most.
I will put it on my favourites list,definetly!

p.s.Do some research on the history of the building.
It might have been a laundarettes, grocers,bakers,butchers house or a school.
Whatever it was it must have been old!

❤ funnylaugh
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
Hey FRAWIN and Buffy. I think that Mr. Ohio would DEFINITELY be perfect as Fred! Now, who are we going to get to be Scooby Doo, the Great Dane? I told you my mother-in-law has a big dog named Scooby, we could bring him along. We are so silly! 😆 I wonder if people think that we're weird when they come up on this page!? They probably tilt their head to the side like a dog and go, "Huh...?" I think it's funny! We're just cool like that!=P
Hey! Don't Daphne and Fred always disappear together? Hmmmmm...
OOOOHHHH! I don't think Daphne's husband would like that! Oh, you didn't know?! Yep, Daphne's married. Daphne can't look like a tramp now can she!? 😆

❤you guys! You're lots of fun!
Shelby
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-26)
You know, I think Ohiowatha would be PERFECT as Fred! He is (Fred) always saying there are no such things as ghosts, but then, Ohio is always sifting through the obvious first before... Hmmm...
Wouldn't that be Daphne's job to talk him into it? 😉
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Hello Daphne and Velma-err... I mean Buffy and Shelby.Yeah,you guessed it I`ll be Shaggy and no Shelby you can`t be Velma - you have to be Daphne because everybody knows that Velma is the short one 😜.Hey Buffy I`ve got a pair of horn rimmed glasses you can borrow if you need to. What do you two think about offering the role of Fred to Ohiowatha-seeing how he the most scientific.Now... Who`s going to be the DOG.

SHAGGY...I mean FRAWIN 😆 ❤
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
😆 😆 😆I think you are right! I hope we don't misfire either. He's a pretty witty and clever guy though.
Shelby
=)
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Oh, he will be. And he will come up with some sort of quip to make the both of us sit up a bit taller in the saddle, so to speak, coming up with a better one to fire back at him.
I hope we do not misfire...
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
You are so funny Buffy! I wonder where FRAWIN is? He needs to be in this conversation. ~Shelby ❤ 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
So why do I have to be the perpetual damsel in distress?! Oh, ok. I can be dramatic, I guess. It might be a bit of a stretch, but I could try just to be in a full outfit of purple!

I think FRAWIN would make a great Shaggy. Now, if I could only picture him surfing...
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
Hey Buffy. Now that you mentioned it, yea I do think of Scooby and the gang. My husband's mother has a big dog named Scooby. So I'd have to bring him along. We'll have to gather some more to fill in the rest of the gang.
You know, we have six people in our family and two dogs. I always wanted to go as Scooby and the Gang for Halloween. If I used my dogs as Scooby Doo it would look funny since one is a Pomeranian(11 lbs.) and the other is a Wheaton Terrier/Pomeranian mix(20 lbs). Even though I really don't like "Scrappy Doo", Scooby's Uncle, maybe my pooch can pass for him. =)
So who are you going to be FRAWIN? Shaggy or Fred? Should I even ask that question? 😆
Even though I look nothing like Velma, I want to be her since she's the smart one. Did either of you ever see that comedy skit on CMT with Ron White where he was talking about looks and brains? You can fix ugly but you can't fix stupid! 😆
Anyway Buff, I got a kick outta that Scooby Doobie Doo comment!
Shelby ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
You know? Reading through that comment with FRAWINS discription of us again... Anyone else picture Scooby Doobie Doo?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
US haunted? Nah, we only have haunting experiences 😊 We could have done tours out of the house couple of weeks ago.
Cody13Smith (5 stories) (54 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-25)
o.O 1994 August 13 my age the month and year I was born in this is weird and people who don't believe in others seeing them either only rely on their seeing or they are in denial I am glad that your boss beleived you only four people in my life believe me.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Hey Buffy. I think I want to come to your house to see what it's like to be around such paranormal activity. I think your house we'll investigate first. But when I leave I must tell anything paranormal to stay there and not to follow me home. Personally, and you might already realize this, I think that your houses aren't haunted, you and your family are or maybe just your kids so they probably wouldn't follow me home anyway! 😊

Shelby ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Yep, I skid around corners in our house when things got a bit nasty just a few days ago. The hounds of Hell may not have been at my feet, but I sure as ---- was not going to stick around to find out. If not for the grip hold I had on the little guy, I think his feet might have had t sprout wings to keep up!
Throw the weapons and grab the Sage, here we come!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Yeah Buffy, I'm with ya'! We can drag him if need be! I don't know though, he might be gone in a flash with those long legs being 6'4" and all, leaving us far behind. That's alright, I betcha' you're as quick as me, especially if your scared, and we'll grab onto his belt loops as he starts to haul booty!😆
Shelby
❤ 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Heck yeah, I'll stand BEHIND you. Just do not be surprised if I reach around Shelby to grab your hand too as the two of us take off with lightening speed. You with me Shelby? We can drag him if we need too!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Yeah-yeah-yeah make the big guy go first, well at least I know that I have friends that will stand behind me 😉 😆.

FRAWIN 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
No, no, no. Better image! FRAWIN taking lead, Shelby in the middle and me at the rear so that when I swing the shotgun around I do not hit either of you. Plus, I always wanted to try stalking in reverse. 😉
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Howdy! Moe, right? IF we did go ghost hunting together, that would be lots of fun, BUT, I think that since your 6'4", 275 lbs. You man the front, Buffy being 5' even and 105lbs. Should be in the middle and I would be in the back since I'm 5'7" and 130lbs. With my AR15! OR, on second thought maybe I will be in the middle so I will be protected by Buffy in the front and you in the back in case something tries to snatch me away from behind! 😆 😜
We would demolish and abolish anything evil that crossed the "THREE MUSKETEERS" path! =)
Oh, and you're right, mustang is from the car since my name is Shelby. I was given that nickname, "Mustang", in seventh grade by a kid named Mike who's parents had a Shelby Mustang. ~Shelby ❤
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-01-24)
Hello WB and Shelby,
I can just see it now -The Three Musketeers going ghost hunting. There`s Buffy, at five ft. Even 105 lbs, shotgun on her hip, FRAWIN at 6ft 4in -275lbs with his 357 and Shelby bring up the rear 😆. This would be a sight to see.
Yeah, Tonith did give me something to think about. This is one of the things I love about this site. When you think you have something figured out, someone gives you a explanation that makes as much sense, maybe more than yours.
While this could in fact be residual, I feel that there was an intelligent presence in the store. I have since submitted a part 2 to this story describing some other experiences that should be published(hopefully) in a few days.
I do appreciate the different theories and comments, seeing how different people sees the same things differently. An example would be that it took me a long time to make the connection between Shelby`s name and her username. I thought mustang=horse(no offence Shelby) instead of the car mustang shelby. Take Care My Friends.

FRAWIN

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: