You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Canadian Dream House

Real Ghost Stories

The Canadian Dream House

 

Over the years, I have had a few encounters. More when I was a child, which I believe is quite common as children certainly seem more open to things of this nature. Perhaps there comes a time in our life where we learn that not everyone thinks seeing things is normal and that door gets closed or perhaps we just grow up. Who knows. I will post separately one day about what I experienced as a child.

I am an Australian who moved to Canada, following love. This took place in Nova Scotia where I lived at the time, I would have been around 24-25. I now reside back in Australia, that love having ran its course, but leaving me with beautiful memories of a country I adored.

Being from Australia, a land of big wide open spaces, I was feeling quite pent up living in apartments for a few years in Canada. I longed for a backyard and all the beautiful scenery that Nova Scotia had to offer. I found a house, we went for a viewing and it was perfect. Right on the bay, gorgeous big backyard and the house was unlike anything I would ever find in Australia. Around a 102 years old at the time, the house sat on a large parcel of land that over the years, as sons and daughters grew up, was divided off, giving each child a place to have a house and some land. There were 2 houses to the left of ours, off the long driveway and one on the right at the bottom of the drive. Only the house at the end of the driveway was occupied by the son of the original owner of this house.

We moved in. I was in love with our beautiful house. After unpacking all of our clothes from our suitcases, I took them upstairs to a room we wouldn't be using at first to store them in the closet. The roof was pitched so that closet was slanted at the back, with a set of shelves in front that took up half the space and allowed access to the crawl space behind. I placed the suitcases behind the shelves, knowing there would be plenty more to store. I closed the closet doors, turned around to pull the string for the lights and I hear the closet doors pop off their magnetic lock and creak open. I froze, then trying to regain my composure, convinced myself that it was an old house and that maybe the locks were just old. I walk back to re-close the doors and stop dead. The suitcases are sitting lined up in front of the shelves, they had bumped the doors open.

I bolted down stairs so fast, it's a wonder I didn't break my neck. Told my partner about it who didn't believe in those kinds of things and brushed it off. I must have been mistaken.

A little bit of time goes past and nothing more really happens. I am sometimes aware of seeing something out of the corner of my eye but nothing I can't explain away with tiredness or a reflection etc.

Then one afternoon, before heading out for the evening I am vacuuming up a spill and I sense my partner walk behind me from one room to another, the shower goes on and I assume he is getting ready to go out. I finish vacuuming and wander into the bathroom where I can still hear the shower. Open the door to find no one there. The shower isn't on. The mirror is fogged up but there is no real steam in the air. I am mind boggled. I don't get it. I walk to the room I saw my partner walk from and there he is, in there with the dog. I asked him did he walk out to the bathroom. He said no, he's been in here for 30 minutes or so. I tell him I heard the shower. You're hearing things he said. I knew I wasn't.

Things started to turn up in strange places. I opened the microwave once, only to be covered in ice-cream as the carton was in there and obviously had been for a while and it was just goop. I would go looking for something that was kept in a specific spot at all times like the dogs leash, on the end of the bannister as we walked him every day. It would be gone, I'd turn the house upside down looking for it and then the next morning it would just be back on the bannister.

One day we walked down to get the mail, we stopped to talk to our neighbor, the son of the original owner. A nice man. Asked us about the house and did we like living there etc. Then he said to us "Oh by the way, have you met my mother?" Thinking that she was inside and he would introduce us to her we said "no not yet". He said "Oh you will".

Turns out, she was set to go on a cruise. She had her bags all packed in that room upstairs and she passed away before morning. Now I understood about the suitcases. Thank god! I was not losing it.

She was there and that was ok. I walked into that room once after that and sensed that she was there with me and I just said "Hello Mrs. Mosher, I hope you're well today". We lived in happy harmony. There was never anything malicious about her presence, in fact quite the opposite. I figured she would move on when she was ready and she wasn't hurting us so unless that changed, we just shared the house. It was hers in the first place after all.

Other hauntings by sunsetsister

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sunsetsister, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Quirky (2 stories) (23 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-02-05)
Hello Sunsetsister -- please accept my apologies as I missed your response three months back. Just wanted to extend a thank you for the additional details relating to your "The Canadian Dream House" story. Unquestionably, loving and safeguarding spirits are top-notch.
sunsetsister (4 stories) (9 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-20)
Hi Quirky,

Yes, her son was very casual. From what I gathered from him, other people had mentioned some strange goings on in the house and been quite unnerved by it. I think he was trying to gauge our experience. I did go down on my own one evening, as my partner was so dismissive of anything he couldn't explain by science and I spoke with the son and the grandson who was maybe 8. The grandson told me that he used to climb on his bunk bed and put toys through the manhole to give to his granny. That sometimes she liked to play with him. I guess this is before they sold the house. Sure enough, I opened up the manhole and found little soldiers and cars there on the beams.

She was apparently quite the nurturing mother and grandmother, loved her family. And there were times I felt this inexplicable sense of calm and hope wash over me in times I felt very homesick and I think that would have been her. She also alerted me to an intruder in the house that I had dismissed as nothing thinking I was being paranoid. That intruder had the hatchet we used to chop kindling in his hand when he fled so she looked after me.
And sometimes the funniest things would pop into my head, like when I was making a pumpkin pie "You can't leave the edges like that, make them pretty".
According to her son, she was a master baker and loved everything to be beautiful, nothing was just a cake, it was a beautiful cake.
Quirky (2 stories) (23 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-16)
Thank you for sharing your unexpected house resident story with us, Sunsetsister. I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

What struck me was the casualness of the son who asked if you had met his mother as yet. Did you engage in any further discussions with the son concerning his mother?
Jeani (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-11)
Great story and I enjoyed it very much. You have a knack for writing. Thank you.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-10)
Sunsetsister - I enjoyed reading your story. It seems that Ms Mosher remained determined to go on that cruise! It would be interesting to know what other occupants of that house experienced.

I don't either have a problem with benign spirits but I'll admit that I prefer having my house to myself. I tend to talk to them out loud and encourage them to move on. Then again, perhaps it isn't for me to decide when they should continue their journey.

Regards, Melda
Caz (342 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-10)
Welcome to YGS Sunsetsister... What a lovely story! Thank you for sharing it with us!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: