You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Miners House

Real Ghost Stories

The Miners House

 

As mentioned in my other story 'Evil in the Store Room', there has been other encounters and experiences on the same property. My grandparents bought this old miners house when they were in their twenties and newly married. My granddad worked in the mines. They bought this house for very cheap.

I stayed in this bedroom which was my favourite bedroom. My bed was next to a big big window that went across the wall and I had this tube computer that just collected dust because the electricity was never reliable. It had high ceilings with beams running through the house. Growing up, you get used to sounds that appear in an old house but one sound I never ever forget. At a specific time, it would have been around 10:30am, every single day on the dot. There is a huge thud, the ground vibrates as if something big has fallen over and then there is a big cracking sound. I asked my grandmama and my granddad about it all the time and they brushed it off as oh you know it's an old house, there's always noises that comes with it. I was about 10 and I asked my dad one afternoon while we were working in the vegetable garden and he bluntly told me that someone died in my room. I rushed into the house and demanded my grandmama to tell me who it is and what is it.

The back story of the house -- the reason why it sold for so cheap is because before my grandparents bought the house. There was a newly married couple who was very happy. She was a stay at home wife and he worked in the mines. Some months later, the husband was fired from his job and so was many other men. He took it badly, the breadwinner of the family and he couldn't take care of his wife so he spiraled down into depression. His wife did everything she could to make sure they had food on the table. I think at one point she was a maid or a servant to a well off family in town so she'd leave her husband at home with lunch prepped for him. This one day the wife leaves to go to work and the husband hangs himself in the room (my bedroom). The thud that I hear is the chair that he kicked off from and the crack noise is his neck breaking. The wife returns home to find her husband dead, and she goes crazy. The neighbours rush to her aid and unfortunately she was shipped away to a mental asylum where she died of a broken heart.

When my grandmama told me the story, I broke down into tears and felt very sorry for the miner and his wife. Still to this day at 10:30am there's a huge thud and a crack followed soon after.

Other hauntings by morbiddaisies

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, morbiddaisies, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-31)
And... I forgot what I wanted to ask. 😲 😟

Something about new reports of events or something. See, people, this is why you need to keep notes.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-03-30)
Hi Morbiddasies, thanks for the explanation about the mine's closing and the difference in sound.
It would certainly be disconcerting for me to experience the sounds of a man's suicide over and over.
I suppose one can get used to anything.
morbiddaisies (2 stories) (3 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-29)
[at] RCRuskin - Yes the house is still in the family. It's a lovely house. I miss it.

[at] Kindly_refrain - The mines shut down in 1990. I asked my dad about it and he said there is a major difference between the explosions from the mines and the thud from the stool. He remembers the ground slightly rumbling and vibrating, the walls would shake a tiny bit. My dad tells me that when they used explosives, it would be around 6:30/7:00am in the morning. The thud that he, my grandparents and I hear is so loud that we jump.

[at] RSAChick - We hope so too.
RSAChick (115 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Just read in the comments of your previous story that the town is Nigel, thanks.
RSAChick (115 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
While reading, I had similar thoughts about nearby mining activity as Kindly_refrain.
But highly unlikely for this type of blasting to take place every day at the same time for decades, it seems?

This is a sad story. I hope their souls have found peace.

Could you share the town's name, morbiddaisies?
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hello Morbiddaisies, in a nearby town to me, something similar occurs but for other reasons than in your account. I am not trying to discount your experience as you were there and I was not but I offer the following as a possibility.

There is a limestone quarry near the town and every day, at the exact same time of day, they use explosives to blast out the rock face. There is a thud, the ground trembles and the buildings shake. This is done at the same time of day so that the locals know not to be alarmed by the sounds and sensations.

If the mine near your grandparent's house is (was) still active and they follow a similar blasting protocol there, it may (or may not) explain what you experienced.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
May his Memory be Eternal.

Is the house still in your family?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: