You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Miner

Real Ghost Stories

The Miner

 

I've just returned from NZ no more than a week ago and I can't stop thinking about the strange man I saw while tramping through the forest. If you know New Zealand then you would know about the Fox River. I joined a walking tour which took 15 days tramping through the South Island exploring. It was the second night of the tour as we all slept under the stars. Our campsite was near an old disused mine. Visible were the old rails that they used to push the trolley deep into the mine. From what our guide told us, bats live in there. "Cool," thinks I, "bear that in mind."

It was too tight to explore but I got into the mouth of the mine and peered in. For a second I thought I saw what looked to be a light moving but it could've been anything (glowing fungus maybe?) We set up camp and made dinner over an open fire. Being an Aussie bushman, I knew how to make a decent fire and soon had damper on the go. It was around 9pm when we all hit our sleeping bags and before we knew we were all asleep.

It was 2AM when my bladder woke me up. I remembering staggering along the trail, away from camp and stood relieving myself. As I turned to go back to the camp, there I saw this light bopping along the track towards me. I thought at first it might be some backpacker walking the track at night (people do that, believe it or not) but there was something odd about this light. It was a sickly yellow, reminding me of a lantern. Then I saw him. A bearded old man wearing a dirty shirt and dark corduroy pants. Then... He vanished. I saw him one minute and the next...gone! Guess I did freak a bit but fascinated at the same time.

I didn't tell anyone but I didn't need to. Cloe, one of the girls who was tracking with us, said she saw this old man walking past her as she laid on the ground. I told everyone about what I saw. The guide looked shocked but said nothing. Later on in the day we both dropped back from the group and she told me who that man was. He was a hermit who used to mine those hills and one day he vanished. As it turned out his mine caved in on him, killing him and his body was never retrieved. What me and Cloe saw was the old miner's ghost still going back to his mine, still chipping away for that gold.

Other hauntings by AussieRedDog

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AussieRedDog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
Flyclarinet: I see what you mean now 😳..."She" is the guide, not Cloe 😆...Geez, sometimes I need a swift kick 😆
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
flyclarinet: Yeah, I was assuming Cloe had been on the trek before, didn't know if she is a New Zealander (is that right? LOL), a tour guide, or just a regular on that particular tour, or if it was a popular legend on the island... Thank you, though! 😊
flyclarinet (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
zzsgranny: I believe the writer meant the tour guide told him about the hermit/miner.
RollingStonesGhost (19 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-24)
AussieRedDog, that is an awesome story.

You saw him a bit when you first arrived then again later when you went to take a bathroom break. And you also have another witness in Cloe. And she had him walk right past where she was sleeping.
Its brilliant.

And you were lucky to find out why the old miner/hermit was there. He is obviously still there trying search for his gold in the mine and maybe also guard the mine to make sure no one else gets trapped in there like he did.

Great story.
Jesse.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-01-23)
AussieRedDog: I meant to comment on this the other day, but I got sidetracked 😳...Pretty cool experience, and I don't care what anyone says, no matter how experienced one is with the paranormal events like this still freak you out 😆, but in a good way...

I only have one question and that is: how did Cloe have this information about the miner?...

Great story, and thank you for posting! 😊
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-23)
cool story, I wish I saw something like that... The only thing I see these days is the tv...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: