You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Many Many Deer, Why?

Real Ghost Stories

Many Many Deer, Why?

 

My husband and I have always enjoyed nature. We feed the birds in our yard, and yes the black bear came, likes sneaks in the night. We didn't care, only upset that we didn't see them. Then came the evening a she bear came just when I had put out the kitchen light. "Bob! Bear! Bear!" He runs for his camera as I stand where I could touch her, if not for the kitchen window. The sliding door was opened slowly, click, click, goes the camera and off goes the bear. The fur was so shiny black. Interestingly she left a bad smell behind that only lasted for about thirty seconds.

We were on a route that is very familiar to us, I travel this way for groceries, also many stores for clothing and nice places to dine. A cultural place where several universities blend to the main park.

Not driving myself, I was enjoying the winter wonderland out the side window. Suddenly I saw deer, more than I had ever seen before. The hill beside me had a massive amount of deer, walking slowly on the steep hill, one after the other. Some were female and others had big racks, large pointed horns.

We pulled over, and off the road. They continued to follow the same path. Never had I seen so many at one time. The large buck was leading, there would be young bucks mixing with the doe, and finally the smaller yearlings. We noticed a space between the groups, then the very large Buck and again a similar chain of deer. We watched, unspeaking, hundreds of deer, what is the reason. Perhaps with snow on the ground making food harder to find so they are on the hunt for better eats.

We sat with our engine stopped, as this show passed before us. The view made me think of a much earlier time, thousands of years ago. A prehistoric action, done, just as the packs had done long before.

My husband saw everything with me, we took many pictures with my phone and the digital my husband had in the car, and not one came out. There was a fuzzy area, where there should have been deer. Until I saw the fuzzy pictures I gave no thought to the paranormal. I still think what we have seen is real. My husband has almost never been a part of anything paranormal, and he never questioned as to what we visualized as to not being real. Is this a replay of the past or did we see a reality moment. If this is real, where did they come from, and why?

Thank you for reading, do you have any ideas?

Other hauntings by msforgetmenott

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, msforgetmenott, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-18)
Maybe they were spirits of the land. Many legends feature a large stag as an earth spirit/guardian of the forest and some also connect them with the spirits of Native Americans. It might be interesting to look even further back in history and see what you can turn up.
Junglecat (2 stories) (56 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-30)
Melda,

Kudu are antelope! But so stunning nevertheless, similar to nyala. 😊
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-30)
Jan - Thanks for your response.

There are really so many species of animals that many of us don't know, indigenous to various countries.

My favoruite buck is the Kudu. It really is a beautiful, majestic buck, particularly the male. When you have a free moment google it!

Regards, Melda
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-30)
Melda,

As America was settled, the majestic white tailed deer had kept the pilgrims warm, with the pelts, preserved. They provided nutritional food. Their horns can be found, fashioned into fork and knife handles. Even smaller handles for eatery utensils. I do not think this was taught by N. American, but were skills also passed down from England, Europe, and beyond. Cave art has featured a deer like animal, and on and on. We have loved this graceful, wonder for eons!

I had always thought the white tail had been an East Coast American animal. As they are down into Virginia, they loose much of their size. Florida has the mini version.

I have collected stag glass made in Czech, under the Egermann label. The stag featured in the beautiful glass is similar to the white tail deer, but horns are different. (blue glass).

My love for the National Geography went back to a time where I was just learning to read. My Grandmother had the first copy, dating to the early 1900s, and every copy after that, long before TV. ❤
Jan
Junglecat (2 stories) (56 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-03-30)
Jan,

Here in North Dakota, bison farmers have reported to me heards of up to 400 white tails crossing their lands (within the past fifteen years). So where the area permits it, they will still generate such large herds. It's easy to check if that's what you saw. Go back to the path, walk it a bit and look for tracks. A heard that size would have left plenty.

The destruction of the understory is a classic sign of overbrowsing, but you need not have a herd the size that you reported to decimate the understory of a glade. You are correct that ticks are a dangerous vector for all large mammals.

I didn't finish my PhD dissertation on migratory ungulates so I hope this was useful instead. Lol.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-30)
Jan - I did a quick google search on your white tailed deer and discovered it is also known as the Virginia deer. Apparently it has spread far afield to different states in the US, New Zealand, Canada, South America. This is what I quickly glanced on Wiki.

It really is a beautiful animal and those males have incredible antlers!

Two of the episodes that I've watched on National Geographic were when a hippo tried to save a Springbok from the jaws of a crocodile. Unfortunately the buck's neck was broken and it died. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. The hippo literally chased off the croc and carried the buck to dry land.

Another rather touching story was when an Impala (I think) gave birth and immediately the lions moved in. A lioness rushed ahead and chased off the rest of the pack. She then took responsibility for this little baby but the little buck needed food and the lioness couldn't provide it, obviously! Anyway eventually the baby found its mother, only to be taken by a croc when fording a river. I could fill a page on this event, I'm only giving you the basics.

I saw this on TV so unfortunately can't give you links. Perhaps you saw it?

I hope you are in good health.

Regards, Melda
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-28)
Good Morning Melda,

I have watched many films on African animals and birds. Nature lovers have interest in Africa, world wide. There seems to be so many more animals. My lessons started with the early National Geographic. Both Africa, Central and South America are abundant with strange creatures.

We love our white tailed deer, Lost somewhere in my old computer, I had a bunch of snap pictures of a young fawn and her Mother. We have a camera that when set right, it will take a dozen or more one second pictures. Mother was eating grass and the fawn was dancing around Mother. I made the grass in her mouth be gone and each picture one second apart became a cartoon of mother scolding at the Fawn. Deer grind their food, from one side to the other. Not always a pretty picture. ❤ 😊

My best to you, Melda
Jan
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-28)
Hi Val,

Seeing deer in this particular area is not unusual. Other years we have seen a large amount 30 or more. At any other time, the deer where all headed the same direction, but were up down and all over the hill, traveling as they wished. The common belief is that there is a food shortage in Quabbin and where they are headed is large open farming area, with many fields, that was settled in the 1700s.

I and my Husband have lived here, and driven and walked Quabbin when we could. There is little that we have not seen over the 40+ years. Wonderful pictures and memories. And we both kept our weight down.

They have opened up deer hunting in certain sections, for the last few years. Many rules and restrictions apply. The reason was overpopulation and deer loss from starvation. Lately we have seen the wood's floor loose underbrush, a food nibbled by deer. We have pondered as to if this ground cover loss is done by man or deer. I have been told, ticks are as dangerous for deer, as they are to man. Underbrush is loaded with dear ticks (Lyme).

Who knows why we saw what we saw, but if you wait long enough you will find everything changes.
❤ ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-03-28)
Jan - I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story. You have had many positive responses and I'm afraid I don't much to add to that.

In Africa (as I'm sure happens in the US as well) we have literally thousands of buck migrating and sadly, it is in search of food and water. These "treks" are very often made up of many, many Wildebeest, interspersed with Zebra and other buck. Africa is such a dry continent.

I have witnessed similar events at the Kruger National Park in South Africa and Etosha in Namibia. Both unbelievably beautiful game reserves. I'm quite certain I haven't witnessed these migrations to the capacity that they often occur but it is a breathtaking sight nonetheless.

What I have not personally witnessed, fortunately, is the crossing of the rivers where many of the unfortunate animals are taken by crocodiles. I can't even watch this on TV without taking my leave and finding some other less distressing activity.

Being a nature and animal lover myself, I thought I'd share that with you. I am by no means an expert, only an occasional observer!

Regards, Melda
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-28)
I'm assuming these were white tail deer, which are the most common in your state. In general they don't travel very far, usually 2 - 3 square miles, BUT they'll go further if food is scarce. Interestingly enough the deers in the Western states DO migrate. "The longest mule deer migration ever recorded was in Wyoming. Thousands of deer migrate 150 miles from winter range in Wyoming's Red Desert to summer range in the mountains. This 300-mile round-trip journey is the greatest large mammal migration in the continuous United States." (https://bigdeerblog.com/?p=4682) Bigdeer blog also says that the migration route is handed down from generation to generation.
I don't think it's too far of a stretch to think that at one time this route memory held true for the Eastern states deer too.
If what you saw was a trek for food, it would have been serious business indeed, and the young ones may not have had the extra energy for gamboling about.
Now, let's add in the fact that cameras simply refused to work or the pictures came out totally blurred. (If I understood correctly, only in the areas the deer should have been seen? As in the rest of the picture was clear?) Curious indeed!
It well could have been residual, or even a wee time slip.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
-1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
There is an overabundance of deer in many areas due to their natural enemies all but being eradicated. I don't think there was anything paranormal going on; just an encounter with nature.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hi Val, I should re-read before answering. If the deer went out of sight and walked down behind the same hill, in a matter of time, you would see the same deer. Bazaar! That never came to mind! Oh Deer, Lady-glow is right! 😳
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
RC!

The dog did nothing because someone put raw red meat in the oversized dish... The dog over did the size of his belly... He fell over with his legs in the air... Tongue to one side and panted painfully. Curious... Very Curious... And that was why...

Magnificent, said in a whisper, something that only happens once in a lifetime.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hi LuciaJacinta,

Yes it was the night of the super moon. My Husband came into the house, with a big grin. He went to the side window, smiling, saying I have something I want you to see. He stood aside took the shade and pushed it up slowly. There it was larger than usual, a very big moon, just coming up over the hills. Beautiful!

Jan 😊
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hi Jubeele, nice to hear from you,

I think you may be right, residual makes a lot of sense, One thing my Husband remarked upon, if this is a picture of something that took place long ago, then the camera was not even invented, so the image can not be kept, or taken by something that should not even be there.

I read not long ago, that as the ice has melted, it has opened a shelf, where long ago there had been a trail used by elk and reindeer. This shelf was part of their trail from winter to summer. I can imagine a residual experience like that.

What we noticed and talked about was that even the young deer did not hop and skip as we have often seen today. Playing was not allowed I guess, this was serious business.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
"I refer you to the curious behavior of the dog in the nighttime."

"But the dog did nothing."

"Curious."

At least, that is how I remember the dialogue from, I think, The Adventure of Silver Blaze, a Sherlock Holmes short story. Plot summary: prize race horse disappears, its trainer is dead from a serious head wound and the guard dog did not raise any alarm during the night. Sherlock Holmes found that to be a singularly important clue.

Without more data we're left with two conclusions, I think. Either something supernatural was going on, or you both were clumsy with the cameras, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. 😁

Anything might happen once. If it happens twice it is a coincidence. If it happens three or more times, it is significant. - from a high school literature class I took more years ago than I care to admit.

If nothing else, you had a great view of some magnificent animals.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hello Rex-T

I love nature, but where my Husband and I differ is, how many shots are needed. I got pis-y one day as he has up loaded thousands of pictures into my computer, REALLY! Of hummingbirds cows and horses. I always have loved pictures of people... Not 600 pictures of the moon, where his camera has closed in and the moon looks like an orange. GRRRR thankyou Rex-T, for letting me vent.

Oh that felt good! You guys went to Scotland, my dream is to visit Scotland and England, I want to see the homesteads of my Ancestors, but travel is impossible now. I never thought about deer in Scotland, never got past all the sheep!

The black bear are common now, but not when I was young. My thoughts are as all the city people built their second homes in Vermont and New Hampshire and the ski resorts loaded up with people, the bear moved down to our wilderness areas. There is many large donations of lands, where it can be good conditions for bear and wolf, and coyote. They come out of protection to eat then go back in to hide.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Was it a full moon? Animals do odd things. I'm sure they had a reason. Mating season perhaps? As for why none came out on camera I don't know.

One night I had an experience where I saw tons and tons of raccoons in the same area. I think animals have patterns of behavior that is driven by an internal force. The deer probably were following their instincts
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hi There RC, doing well how are you,

If you have read what I sent to Lady-glow, you know we have no pictures. I in no way was thinking anything paranormal, I deleted mine while still in the car. My husband found the clicker inoperable, strange as it worked just fine later. He was frustrated as he is quite a pro with photography. I do not know how to do a video, on this phone, but do not think quick like that anymore.

So RC I am interested as to what you have for a conclusion. I just wanted to add, there were six deer eating my neighbors bush, a couple of years ago, early one morning. I had my old phone then, and from our deck, I was able to get off some good shots. When increasing their size in my computer, they were fuzzy. It was winter, and as I spooked them, I think their fur rises, much like the hair rising feeling you get when spooked.

Sorry I could not provide you with pictures.

Jan 😢
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hi Lady-glow, glad to hear from you,

Yes oh deer, my heart ticked super fast, what a sight.

My Dad would tell how my Mother, met a black bear, face to face, while blueberry picking. Glad it wasn't me.

There is little traffic on that road. If anyone had passed us, between their cell phone and earbuds, I doubt they would have noticed.

Time-slip, what a good thought. My husband has some pricy cameras, but his refused to work, on that day. Worked fine that evening when taking like a million shots of the super moon. But not while trying to get an image of the deer. My camera, was going off, I only got wood shots, but the time I captured the deer, it blurred out both the deer and the path, I deleted them.

Take care! ❤
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hi Val, good to hear from you,

The area where we observed this, has thousands of protected acres. This land circles around and about waterways that is Boston MA water. Although Boston is 50-60 miles away, engineers developed the plans in the 1800s. Studied and corrected to the 1930s, destroying the sweet little farm communities for ever. Gravity feed toward Boston, where without it, there would have never be enough water for todays use.

Every home, farm, church, and cemetery or industry was either purchased and torn down or moved. Nothing was spared. The house next to us was moved from Quabbin Reservoir, a large two level home. It was cut right down the middle, moved in two separate pieces and placed on a new (then) foundation. The neighbor, proud to show the cut line, under the rug.

We walked in Quabbin, when younger, poking around many old foundations, looking for treasure. Often planted bushes remained, but never treasure. Just sad memories. A haunting place, to the sensitive.

There ends the history lesson:

A main road splits a small section of Quabbin land, this is where we encountered the deer. There is a high hill on the right side. The deer walked with purpose, a very big buck first, behind him there was a mix of doe and stag, often side by side or wider. At the end of the group were the young some with fading spots. A space of 20-30 feet, then a very big buck, and repeat but always a space between the young and the next big buck.

The deer walked, there was no running or jumping. They appeared to us, from rounding the lower part of the hill, all on the right side of the road. There was fresh snow, but they had a path, where dirt and leaves had opened, making us wonder if this was a yearly thing. Each group was 30-40 head count, but a good gap between what we called families.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hi Jan

This is a wonderfully evocative account. You've drawn us all into the idyllic charm of the scene. Rex and I would love to come and visit that lovely part of the world. ❤

I wonder if you've stumbled on a residual impression. "The view made me think of a much earlier time, thousands of years ago." Perhaps it was an action done over and over again by thousands of herds. The memory could have lingered on, stirred into being now and again when the conditions are right, and seen only by people who are receptive to the experience.

I've taken photos of my last workplace which was said to be haunted. Some have turned out clear and normal, while others were oddly distorted and fuzzy. Then my camera refused to work for a few moments. In these days of the auto-focus functionality on cameras, that is rather mystifying to me. I still wonder if someone didn't want their picture taken! 🙄
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hi Jan, hope all is well with you and family.

Whether real or paranormal, for me, this is a really uplifting experience.

Growing up in Australia, a "City Boy" only has to travel ten minutes down the road, to be in the "Bush". I have encountered Kangaroos and the occasional Deer while fishing.

Jubeele encountered a large group of Deer while on a Manor Estate in Scotland and took a lot of photos on her phone. I've recently downloaded them to my new notepad and digitally enhanced them. No photos came out, like you described. I'm sure there will be camera experts out there that will have valid explanations but maybe the wonder is in the numbers and silent procession like behaviour of the Deer.

When travelling through the American South West, we were constantly warned about Bears (both brown and black) from various guides. "Keep your distance, do not turn your back on them, no sudden movements, don't feed them, etc, etc". Outside of Zion National Park we saw the only bear of our whole tour, which was focused on ripping the lid off a skip bin to get to the yummy smells inside.

I take my hat off to you and lady-glow for your cool heads when faced with these behemoths.

Rex-T 😊
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hi, Jan!
I have a question; you say "The large buck was leading, there would be young bucks mixing with the doe, and finally the smaller yearlings. We noticed a space between the groups, then the very large Buck and again a similar chain of deer." Do you mean the herd repeated this action, or was it another group led by another large buck?
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hi, Jan. Hope you're doing well this morning.

If it were possible, could you please post some of the photos, or a video clip if video was shot? I'd like to see this before I come to a conclusion.

Thanks.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-03-27)
Hello Jan - Oh deer! This experience is puzzling and beautifully narrated.;-)

My guess would be a time slip? It is odd that none of the pictures would show any of all those deer.

Was there any mention on the news about deer on the area? I would expect drivers to be cautioned of the presence of such a numerous herd on the road. An encounter between a large buck and a small vehicle can be nasty.

I love black bears and their antics though I prefer to watch them from a distance. Once I came face to face with one perhaps 3 feet away from me and with nothing between us! And another one climbed on a plum tree braking a heavy branch that landed on my small car totaling it!

Thanks for sharing. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: