You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Terrifying Shriek

Real Ghost Stories

The Terrifying Shriek

 

I have never seen a ghost or witnessed a supernatural event but the horrifying shriek I heard at the cemetery was enough to shake me to my core. This incident happened in 2015 in Lahore, Pakistan. It was a pleasant summer night and I was hanging out with a friend from my alma mater. During that time, one year ago, a friend of mine named Omar (name changed for privacy) had died and the friend that I was hanging out with was also named Omar. Both Omar never met each other but belonged to the same university.

Omar and I after eating from the restaurant were riding on the motorbike. I told Omar about a friend of mine who bore his name and how he died last year. I asked him if he was up for it will he be willing to visit his grave? Omar was scared about visiting the cemetery at night and said maybe next time. But I ignored his answer and took him directly to the cemetery instead. Omar got a bit upset because of my enforcement but I was enjoying being mischievous with him.

As we entered the cemetery, we were almost approaching the grave then suddenly we heard a loud shriek. That shriek scared the living daylight out of us. We thought it could be the wind so we still went ahead. The moment we took another step the shriek got louder as if we were being warned. Not daring to take another step near the grave we slowly made our exit from the cemetery. Omar before leaving gave prayers to the deceased buried in the graves.

We were not there to desecrate graves or disturb the dead so I cannot think of any reason why we were stopped from seeing the grave of my friend when I have visited his grave during the day occasionally. The more important question was, "What was that loud shrieking noise and who was making it? Was it trying to warn or scare us? I believe it was near us and if we dared took one step closer to the grave we would have been approached by some entity or any other supernatural being.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mmj, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-25)
I am with ladyglow - maybe it was someone in need of help. But if not, maybe the spectral guardians of the cemetery were displeased with your using a grave site as the butt of your mischief. You may have meant no harm but its not exactly the *most* respectful reason for visiting a grave.
Caz (342 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-08-25)
Hi Mmj and welcome to YGS!
I can understand how scary that must have been for you, as the same thing happened to my older sister, when she was employed as a residential nurse in a nursing home. On her afternoon off, she would cycle into the village to meet up with her friends and often didn't head home until after dark. One night as she was cycling home through a wooded area, she heard this terrible screaming and shrieking coming from the woods. It scared her so much, she nearly fell off her bike! She wasn't far from the home, so she peddled as fast as she could, then when she arrived, she leapt off her bike, leaving it on the ground, before rushing inside and shouting to the staff on duty to call the police immediately, as some poor woman was being murdered in the woods! She couldn't believe it when the two staff on duty just looked at each other and burst out laughing! LOL... They then explained to her that these screams are always heard at this time of year, 'during the mating season of the fox'! I had to check on the net to be sure, but apparently the Red Fox is pretty common in Pakistan, so Lady-Glow was right and you need never be afraid if you hear that sound in the graveyard again!
😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-08-25)
Mmj.
I just hope it wasn't a real person in trouble and in need of help...
Mmj (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-24)
In Pakistan, there aren't much nocturnal animals and I know the sound of each of them. This sound was human like it was made from the sound of an injured woman. I should described in the story what the shrieking actually sounded like.

We were there at 8pm or 9pm at the cemetery and I was advised by everyone that never to visit cemetery at night. In our faith there is no concept of ghost or spirit but there is a belief of supernatural beings called Jins.

I was taught at school that Jins are being that cannot be seen and they dwell in desolate places like cemetery or abandoned building or trees. Here's another fun fact, we were always advised by our elders, parents and teachers to never sleep next to a tree.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-24)
""What was that loud shrieking noise and who was making it? Was it trying to warn or scare us?"

Mmj: welcome to YGS.

Perhaps it was not a 'who' but a 'what' shrieking in the night. Have you considered the possibility of a nocturnal animal scared at you and Omar's presence?

I imagine how frightening it must have been to hear such an unexpected sound in the middle of the night, specially in a cemetery, but let's not forget how creative ones mind can become in the darkness.

I'm not discarding the possibility of a spirit protecting their turf but, based on your narrative, the only thing we can do is to wonder what was in there that night.

It was very nice from Omar to pray for the people buried there.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: