You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Shriek Of A Woman In The Woods

Real Ghost Stories

A Shriek Of A Woman In The Woods

 

Greetings to all readers I am happy to say that after I had gotten a slap on my leg, nothing else has been happening at home. Things seemed to have calmed down for now.

The next story I am about to relate happened to my mother just after she had gotten married some 35 odd years back, the topic of unexplainable and supernatural stuff had come up in our conversations when she had related this story to me, it's not the first time I've heard it from her, but I have decided to post it for everyone to read.

My mum and dad's habit they enjoyed doing was sitting outside by our front door steps or on the veranda, especially after a long day of work and talk while my dad had a few drinks, this was a habit they had right up until my dad had passed away.

Now the place they had lived at the time had a dense woods about four meters away from the house and since the yard was situated at the end of a dead end road no one had bothered to fence the property so it was very easy to go into the woods from the side of the yard which my parents front door was situated (from the entrance of the house the woods would be to the right).

On this one particular night, during summer they had decided to stay out a little longer than expected as it was very humid, and as they were talking, they heard a loud shrill voice of a woman screaming. The scream had come from the direction of the woods in the quiet of the night. That loud scream had taken them by surprise, my dad wanted to go to into the woods to see who or what screamed, however my mum, thoroughly terrified by now, knew that no one would be in woods at that particular time of the night and had to drag my insistent father inside the house and locked the door. When my mum had looked at the clock to see the time it was just past midnight.

Other hauntings by Rajine

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rajine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-26)
Sorry mate, imo there's no evidence to think that was a ghost. I would have gone there to investigate what was going on.
ccmerlin (2 stories) (16 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-20)
Hi Rajine.
I was once on vacation in the desert up late, and I heard a scream out in the dark desert and then started hearing a ton of laughter like a big party or something. It was very creepy, and it took me a while and some help to figure out it was hyenas. Do you have them in your area? If you do you'd probably know the difference but it was the first thing I thought of when reading your story. So unnerving.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-17)
Hi Rajine, I would like to read the other experiences from which your mother might have categorised the scream as that of paranormal. Difficult to find out if it was paranormal or not without more information and inputs. I agree with lady-glow. Hi Sceptic-Ari, happy to see you are back.

With respects to you Rajine.

SDS
Rajine (14 stories) (741 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-17)
[at] miracles51031

When my mum did get married and move in with my dad there were a lot of unexplainable things that happened to her there (some scary and others just plain strange) this is just one of many unexplainable things that she had told me about, the rest I will cover in stories to come.
Rajine (14 stories) (741 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-03-17)
[at] silverthane the biggest and major wildlife that we have in our wooded areas around our suburbs are snakes (all types of them and quite a bit of a problem) mongoose, monkey's and this large type of bird we call a hadeda apart from that there's nothing else. And the noises that they make doesn't resemble a human in any way that I know of.
Rajine (14 stories) (741 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-17)
[at] melda we are from kwa-zulu natal, Durban in a little suburb called Reservoir Hills and yes back in the early 70s/80s crime was almost non existant and people wouldn't hang out in the woods late at night, when I did ask my mum that maybe it could have been a person or animal that made that noise she was quite adamant that no one could have possibly entered that area of Bush without my parents knowing and also the animals that roam around aren't capable of sounding human.
Rajine (14 stories) (741 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-17)
Hi lady-glow yes it was a creepy experience for them, however animals common in our bushes are snakes, monkey's, mongoose and those big hadeda birds, apart from those there has not been any other sort of animal that would sound like a shrieking woman (well not to my knowledge) and as far as it being a human it would be very unlikely because the back yard connected to the bush area and the only way to get in and out there would be through our yard.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-14)
Rajine, was there some other reason your mum didn't think it could be a woman screaming other than it being that late at night?
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-03-12)
Dear Rajine,
I have never lived near the woods ever in my life, still I have been fooled and scared by nature's sounds, as I have already narrated in one if my stories.
I hope that was the case, and no one was hurt.
Since it was your Parents' experience, we never shall certainly know whether it was paranormal; but it must have been very scary & unnerving 😨
I agree with the opinions of silverthane, Melda & lady-glow.

Regards
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-11)
I am not familiar with the native wildlife of South Africa. Here in the US, it is very easy to be fooled by the screams of bobcats, panthers, foxes and birds. If you are not from the countryside, then many have been fooled by wildlife that sounded like women screaming, babies crying and the like. I wonder if that is what you heard?
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-03-11)
Rajine - My first reaction when I read your story was what? They're sitting outside, close to a wooded area, at that time of night? In South Africa?! Then they hear a scream and your mother doesn't think it's human?

Then the penny dropped. 35 years ago we were reasonably safe in SA. Of course there was crime, as there always has been all over the world, but not to the massive extent that our beautiful country is subjected to at the moment.

Who could know what it was that your parents heard? In those days a murder or brutal assault would have made big news, although I think it would also have depended on where you lived how big the headline would have been.

Would you mind telling me in which province your parents were living at the time? I'm not being inquisitive but it would give me an idea of the type of wildlife one could expect and how developed the area would have been at the time. I don't mind telling you that I live in the eastern suburbs of Pretoria.

Supernatural? I don't know but obviously your mother thought it was.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-03-10)
Hello Rajine.

It must have been unnerving to hear those screams so late in the evening but, in my opinion, it's hard to say if this was a paranormal event.

It's possible that an animal made the noise, either as a normal call or while killed by a predator. The possibilities are endless, I only hope that no person was being attacked and in need of help.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: