You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Loft

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Loft

 

Recently, I have been really nervous about what is happening in my home.

A bit of backstory:

I have lived at my home for 10 years. I live with my auntie because my parents work abroad.

A few days ago, I was in the bath and I heard footsteps from above, which is the loft. It was like someone walking or pacing above. My first thought was that my auntie was up there, which prompted the thought that I hadn't heard the loft ladder come down.

I got out and dressed myself so I was decent and opened the door, slightly. The loft ladder wasn't down, nor was the loft hatch open. On top of that, my auntie was laughing downstairs. I could still hear the creaking above. I put all my clothes on and ran downstairs.

My first sentence to my auntie was, "I think there's a man in the loft," Which was replied with a lot of laughing. It wasn't horrible laughter because my auntie is very jolly and laughs at random things. So I told her again and she stopped laughing. I guess she saw how serious I was.

She followed me upstairs and we went to the bathroom. I could still hear the creaking, but she debunked it, saying it was the bathwater moving, and causing the creaking. After draining it, the footsteps were still there so my auntie tried to debunk it some more. The last comment really made me think. She joked,

"Well who do you think's up there? The bogeyman?"

That's what made me think about the paranormal.

Later that night, when I was in bed, I heard the creaking again. I tried to debunk it as something because I wanted some sleep. Nothing made that noise, that I could think of. I got up to go and wake my auntie, so she could hear it too. Once in my room, we listened and could hear it.

My auntie theorized that even if there was someone up there, they were wimps for hiding from us and wouldn't have the guts to hurt us. In short, a bad reasoning to calm my mind. It was midnight at this point, and she wanted to go back to bed. Her room is the other side of the house and the loft isn't on top of her ceiling.

The next day, I was doing my homework on my bed. My auntie was at work.

A massive thump came from above. Like it shook the walls. I stared at the loft hatch, waiting for some man to open it and beg for help, because something had fallen on him. Nothing happened for a few minutes, then the creaking and the footsteps started again.

I started to phone the police, because I thought there was someone in my loft. But then I hesitated because there was no way someone could get in my loft. The ladder folds from the bottom up. If you were up there, the ladder couldn't be folded up from the top. That's when I was convinced it was paranormal and you can't get the police to arrest a ghost.

When my auntie got home, I told her what happened and she checked the loft to make sure there was no one there. She tried to convince me it was a dream, but I don't believe her. I'm sure I was fully awake. I was doing question 7 of my maths homework at the time and there's a line where the thump startled me.

I went up there to check nothing was out of place. Nothing had fallen, nothing could've made that noise.

I'm almost entirely sure my loft is haunted.

Other hauntings by Lorenzo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lorenzo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Fenrispro (58 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2020-11-02)
They were cats making the loft sounds? But you didn write it in?
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-07-11)
That is so funny about the cat being the culprit but I do know from experience that animals walking around in the attic, in a loft or on a roof can sometimes sound like a person.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-07-05)
Ha ha ha ha ha ha! 🤣 Well played, cat! Well played!

*slow clap*
WontTellYouMyName (3 stories) (9 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-07-05)
Hi Lorenzo,

I was fully prepared to fear the worst after reading the story but I only just saw that it was your neighbour's cat up in the loft. Kinda anticlimactic but hilarious nonetheless.

Regards.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-07-04)
Lorenzo, that's good to hear. I trust Ms Kitty is safely back home with the neighbours and out of mischief. 😊

Still, the information you've been given is a good guide on how to assess such phenomena in the future. My childhood home was built over a former graveyard and it wasn't a peaceful place at all. My mum still lives there and although I keep in touch, I avoid the place as much as possible. 😨
Lorenzo (3 stories) (21 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-07-04)
We found next doors cat up there. I guess there's no ghost...
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-07-04)
Hi Lorenzo,

It's awful not to feel safe in your own home. As others have suggested, first thing to do is eliminate the mundane causes. Like checking the loft for signs of chewed items, scat pellets, fur or musky animal smell. Or if someone had broken in, with things moved around or valuables gone missing. Does your house creak when the temperature changes, causing wood and metal to expand or contract?

Since you have lived there for 10 years without incident, did anything happen recently in the house or in the neighbourhood? An accident in the nearby street, the passing of someone known to the family? Are the residents in the house having any problems or going through a stressful time?

Over a period of time, houses can absorb the emotions and energies that are emitted within its walls, with echoes that can be perceived by those who are sensitive enough. Many YGS members have found Rook's cleansing method to be very effective. Hopefully that will prove the same for you.
Https://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155

Be well and stay safe.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-30)
I am assuming that this activity has just started up after ten years of your residency - if that is the case, the activity may have less to do with the house itself and land beneath/around it than the residents and items inside it. In terms of items, have either of you recently brought home anything used or antique? Have any renovations or big changes recently occurred in the home (ie sweeping interior design changes, remodeling a room, additions etc)? On a more personal level, have either of you recently experienced any emotional upsets* (ie a worrying diagnosis, illness or passing of a loved one, big breakup, clinical depression etc - please don't feel like you are expected to answer publicly with any private information these are questions and suggestions purely to hopefully help guide your own personal investigative process)? It has also been posited that the overwhelming changes and angst that come along with puberty and teen years can be enough to whip up or attract poltergeist activity (and you certainly do have a "noisy ghost" on your hands).

All that said, you need to get some sleep so something needs to be done. Think over the questions I and others have posed to you, I recommend writing things down - it often helps gain perspective in your reasoning process. Once you feel like you may have a working theory (mind you, don't feel like you need ALL the answers before you can take any action - a well considered working theory is all you need to start) - you can start considering what action to take. If your beliefs and your auntie are amenable, there is a full house cleansing method available on the member profile of Rookdygin - it has been used by many contributors to this forum and is held in high regard. There are also other methods that can be looked up online including those aimed more at cleansing yourself as opposed to the structure - something along those more personal lines may be beneficial in this situation. I have also included a link below to a page that has plenty of suggestions for handling this type of problem with simple household materials.

Good luck and keep us posted!

https://www.ghostlyactivities.com/herbs-protect-evil-spirits/?amp
Lorenzo (3 stories) (21 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-06-27)
I don't think so.
I have never had a problem like that.

My aunt hasn't noticed anything, but if she has, she wouldn't tell anyone. She's quite reserved.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-27)
Do you live in an area where racoons or other animals can get into the attic? That happens a lot where I live, but usually you hear scratching, rather than thumping. Of course, if they're mating, they chase each other around and it can get a little noisy (did I really just say that?)

Not to minimize. If that's not something your area is known for, sounds like you should start researching the history of the house.

Has your Aunt not heard anything strange before this?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: