You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunting Beachfront Playground

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting Beachfront Playground

 

In 1954, I was a 10 years old tomboy who likes to play rough games with boys and never afraid of anything. I lived in a small countryside town on the west side of the island on Kauai which is Kekaha-"ThePlace". My house was on the beachfront. I have many childhood playmates from next door neighbor & neighborhood. They are boys and girls ages 4 years - 11 years old.

On weekends, when no school, we all run down to the beach to play in the sand, sun and surf. There is a big sandy area where we all play which is an old Hawaiian graveyard since the 1800s. There are no markings or headstones, but some barbed wire fence enclosures. On this one Saturday, the weather was beautiful with clear blue skies as usual in Hawaii.

Upon playing and running on the sand towards the highway, the sand caved down on me and I fell through a wooden coffin.

When I looked in, it was a tall skeleton intact remains with its both hands crossed below its belly button. One of the boys said to me to give him a front tooth which I did. Then he wanted the skull, two arm bones & 2 leg bones. I passed them up to him.

Later, I ask them to help pull me up. After gathering skeletal remains, the boys say let's play baseball.

I was the pitcher holding the skull and the 11 years old boy was the batter. I pitched the skull under hand. The boy missed hitting the skull. Then when I pitched again he hit the skull & it cracked on the forehead area with a hole.

A few minutes later dark clouds gathered with light thunder then started to rain. We all grabbed the skeletal remains and started to run home across the Highway. Suddenly Drums sounded BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! The Hawaiian Warriors plays drums during ceremonies.

We all ran so fast to my next door neighbor house. We put the skeletal remains on the old Hawaiian man's porch. It was pouring hard and the thunder stopped, but the drums continued. Then Tutu (old Hawaiian man) came out and saw the skeletal bones & Yelled to us kids by saying; What you kids did? TAKE these bones back as they are Kapu sacred!

Then the other Hawaiian man came out after hearing all the commotion. He then told us kids we all going back to the place to bury the bones. He put the bones in a burlap brown bag and drove a grader to dig a hole across where the gravesite is. We pray & ask for forgiveness.

When me, and my two sisters went home, we got scolding from my father. That evening while we were having dinner in the dining room, the lights flickered in & out! My father explained to us three girls about Hawaiian graveyard & to respect.

For us innocent kids did not know better.

That night me & my two sisters got sick with fever which subsided the next day. Our dogs were HOWLING for awhile!

The following day us kids went back to look at the place where the brown burlap bag was buried. To all of our dismay, the hole was opened. We all walked across to where I fell through on the gravesite & seen the hole covered with the brown burlap bag of bones empty on the sand. Suddenly a strong wind blew down on us. We all looked at each other! SPOOKY!

Later we walked toward the beach to sit & talk story. This tall Hawaiian bearded man approached us kids & said behave kids & no be Kolohe (Troublemaker). He walked away & disappeared & never see him again there.

We all had a very haunting weekend! Now we are older & have our own family & lives, but we connect with each other time to time.

Whenever, I do go back to my hometown of Kekaha, Kauai, I do visit that Hawaiian gravesite for respect. I noticed that there are Real Estate for sale signs posted. I later put in a call to one of the Realtors to meet with her regarding the property sale across my old home. Upon giving her details of that beachfront property, she decided to remove the sale sign.

Private Property- Hawaiian Graveyard.

Other hauntings by Da7swima

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Hawaii

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Da7swima, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Da7swima (2 stories) (7 posts)
-1
2 years ago (2021-10-12)
Lady-glow
In due respect for that dead Hawaiian person, I DO NOT LIKE to discuss any further.
Let his soul Rest In Peace.

Aloha
Scary_Annabelle (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
2 years ago (2021-10-11)
Hello! Da7Swima,
Nice and a Scary story. At last you said "A tall bearded man came to us kids and said to behave like kids and not a trouble maker." I think that You took his remains and Played Baseball and Perhaps he didn't liked the way you did to his remains. And so he came to warn you. Just a guess.;-)
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2021-10-11)
Hello Da7.

"Calm down" being like a tempered teenager?"

There's no need to apologize, but please understand that, if people are asking questions about your story is in order to understand it better and, as frustrating as it can be trying to explain your point again, getting defensive is not going to help improving the reader-poster communication.

You are narrating these events not only through the eyes of a ten-year-old kid, but 67 years after they happened. Perhaps some details have been altered or forgotten over time?

After reading your story, I have been doing some research in order to learn a bit about Hawaiian history in the hopes to get to see your experience from a different perspective.

Even though my brief Google research showed only the tip of such a rich culture and its history, I think it is fascinating.

There are several interesting articles about Hawaiian funeral traditions and, it seems, wooden coffins were not used before the arrival of Christianity to the islands.

Therefore, the idea of "Who knows whether Hawaiian burial ceremonies back then used herbal wipes on the body before burial to prolong decaying."
Seems to have nothing to back it up, making me think that the grave you fell into and, perhaps, all the graves in that particular cemetery were not made in the traditional way.

The following link is about old Hawaiian funeral traditions:

Https://vagobond.com/ancient-hawaiian-death-and-burial-practices/

I hope you won't take offence on my questioning, I have a very active imagination and, when reading something, my mind tends to create the most hilarious scenarios when facing what I perceive as lack of information.

Could you elaborate more about your fall into the coffin? Obviously, and thankfully, it wasn't buried six feet under, do you have an idea of how deep it was buried?

I imagine the weight of your body made a hole on the wood and you landed inside the box but, wouldn't this mean that the sand displaced by your fall, filled up part of it?
Did you have to crawl over the skeleton in order to reach the bones your friend was asking for?
Did you land on the skeleton?

I know you have said that the skeleton was intact but, were the little bones of the hands and feet attached to each other or were they resting on the bottom of the coffin (the feet bones) and, the hands ones on the pelvis?
(The idea of a skeleton having a belly button is funny!)

Which arm and leg bones did you take: 2 radius, 2 humerus, or one of each from the arm bones; and 2 femurs, 2 tibias, or one of each from the legs?

Have you considered the possibility of the change of the weather having a meteorological explanation?

Would it be possible than one adult, horrified after you kids actions, replaced the bones to their original spot without informing you?

I'll appreciate your feedback.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
2 years ago (2021-10-11)
Hi Da7swima

It's really crazy to play with a skeleton 😳 not to mention disrespectful to the deceased, but I'm glad you and your friends realized that it was wrong.
Da7swima (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
2 years ago (2021-10-10)
Lady-glow
May I ask what are you insinuating "Calm down" being like a tempered teenager?
If I offended you in anyway, please accept my apologies...

Aloha
Da7swima (2 stories) (7 posts)
+3
2 years ago (2021-10-10)
Lady-glow
That skeleton was intact as us kid seen.
We used the arms & legs bones as a bat playing baseball.

Who knows whether Hawaiian burial ceremonies back then used herbal wipes on the body before burial to prolong decaying.
Da7swima (2 stories) (7 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2021-10-10)
RCRuskin
That grader equipment was driven across the gravesite on hard dirt roadway to dig a hole.

That skeleton was intact & not decayed.
You did not see as us kids seen. Hard to believe huh?
Who knows whether Hawaiian burial ceremonials bodies were chemically or herbal wiped before buried. That could prolong decaying.
What we saw & played with the arm & leg bones using them as a bat playing baseball sounds unreal.

That tall bearded Hawaiian man we saw on the beach could have been that person (spirit) from that grave.
Later us kids were talking of that man whether he was the spirit from that grave.
TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+3
2 years ago (2021-10-10)
Wait... What? I didn't say that you drove the grader man! Glad to hear I'm the one who needs to read properly 😜 😆 😆
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+6
2 years ago (2021-10-10)
Da7swima, hope you're doing well.

I'm not sure if English is your first language or not but the sentence structure just seems odd to me, so I had to reread some passages more than once.

You wrote: Upon playing and running on the sand towards the highway, the sand caved down on me and I fell through a wooden coffin.

My understanding: While running around and playing on the sandy beach, and in the graveyard, the sand collapsed underneath you.

It may seem odd to some how sand can hold the weight of a heavy piece of equipment yet not be able to support a small (ish) child, but there are many factors that play into it. What I suspect happened is that the grave created a cavity below ground, and overtime various geological processes enlarged the cavity until you happened along at just the right, or maybe just the wrong, moment. Your foot made contact with the weakened sand, and it gave way.

The construction equipment was placed to the side of this void, on more solid ground.

Thus, the sand collapsed underneath you but supported the grader.

As for the skeleton being 'intact' versus disarticulated, as the body decays underground, the tendons, ligaments, muscles, and bits of skin that hold the bones together weaken and fail, and ultimately cease to be. Bones being mineralized tissue sticks around longer, but also tends to stay pretty much in the same place, relative to other bones, unless things happen. Things being floods, landslide, scavenging of remains, or people happening upon the bones and moving them.

I find it easy to believe that the skeleton was still intact, but also it was disarticulated, meaning the tissues connecting bones together was no longer present.

TL;DR (but if you got this far, you probably did read all I wrote):

While playing on the beach, you collapsed a void under the sand, exposing a grave. You and your friends investigated and fooled around with the remains, and then spooky stuff happened. Putting the bones back helped things return to normal.

Does this sound right?

And just one other question: The bearded Hawaiin man, if I read correctly was not your neighbor or your neighbor's roommate? If that's so, then it was probably the spirit of the person whose grave you disturbed.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
2 years ago (2021-10-10)
Calm down... With all due respect but, you talk and loose your temper as easily as a teenager, though you are supposed to be old enough to be my mother.
Da7swima (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
2 years ago (2021-10-10)
TravisCannabis. The beach sand dipped me on the brown wooden casket.
What you mean a 10 year old kid held the weight of a grader? Read my story properly. I did not drive the Grader. The Hawaiian man works at a Construction site & drives it back home. He drove the Grader to bury the brown burlap of bones.
Got it? Besides I am a tough 10 y4 old tomboy!

Lady-glow, the skeleton was intact! The hand bones were crossed over below its belly button. You did not see what all of us kids saw.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
2 years ago (2021-10-10)
I'm struggling to understand this part of your story:

"a tall skeleton intact remains with its both hands crossed below its belly button"

Actually, once the soft tissues of a corpse have decayed, the skeleton is left like only disarticulated bones.

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletonization
Da7swima (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
2 years ago (2021-10-09)
Beach sand cave in (dropped down), so I landed on a brown wooden casket!
Gotcha!👻😜
TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+3
2 years ago (2021-10-09)
Really bro? The sand caved in under a 10 yo kid but held the weight of a grader? 😆 🤔 😳

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: