You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Voices At A School Playground

Real Ghost Stories

Voices At A School Playground

 

I remember this experience like it was yesterday. About 25 years ago when I was only 7, my family and I visited my cousin and her family in Sacramento on a Saturday. They lived in an apartment right next to a cemetery with an elementary school right behind the apartment complex. This was definitely located in a rough neighborhood. My cousin, who was the same age as me, brought me and my older brother to the school's playground. My brother brought a basketball and played at the courts by himself and I was playing on the structure with my cousin. Randomly, my cousin said she had to run home with no explanation whatsoever. She just took off. For some reason, I didn't question her or decide to follow her. I just sat on the structure next to the slide. Then I heard what sounded like two voices, one on each side of my ears, grunting at me. I felt the presence almost like the voices came from two people standing on either side of me. My heart dropped and I wanted to faint. I screamed for my brother who was playing on the courts and before I can even tell him what was going on, he started sprinting off. I ran after him with my shoes halfway on.

When we ran back to my cousin's house, my brother said he started running because he heard constant banging against the school bungalow and angry grunting voices chasing after him. We went upstairs to look for my cousin and when we entered her room, she was sitting on her bed, legs crossed, staring off into space. We screamed her name and she just slowly turned her head to look at us. She looked like she was drugged as just mumbled something to us. We couldn't figure out what she was saying so we just left her room. My brother and I then told our parents and aunts and uncles what happened to us, and they just laughed it off. When it was around dinner time, we all gathered at the dinner table and my cousin came out of her room from upstairs acting normal again. Like nothing happened.

My brother and I remember everything to this day. We've reminded our cousin of that day numerous times and she cannot remember anything. We brought it up to her a couple months ago and, still, she didn't recall ever taking us to that school. I don't know if she was so scared that she just tried to shut that part of her memory out (she always seemed slightly annoyed every time we bring it up), or if she truly cannot remember. It was definitely one of the scariest moments I've ever experienced.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lalaland, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

FreshEyes (3 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-01-04)
Hello, I like your name and it's interesting for you to have chosen that name and thinking about your job. That's wonderful.
HawaiiFemme (2 stories) (13 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-16)
If you ever find out the name of the apartments, school or cemetery, please let me know. I live in Sacramento and want to check it out.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-14)
Hi Lalaland,

I'm very glad you responded. You're a firefighter? Everything I've been seeing on the news about the wild fires in California has been very upsetting to me. I live in Georgia.

I have no idea what I think could have caused the grunting sounds that you and your brother heard. At least you had him to confirm them in your own mind. It would have felt even worse to you if you had been the only one to hear them.

With regard to your cousin, I believe that she knew something strange happened to the three of you that day and, like you said, shut it out of her memory. I think that because you said that bringing it up annoyed her.

Some people cope with things that they can't deal with by effectively "erasing" it from their minds. My sister is that way. There are things in our past that I cannot believe she can't remember, but she just shows a blank expression. She's very good at it.

I'm not sure how much of this selective amnesia is real or just denial. I hope it is real for the simple fact that it would hurt me to know that my sister (and your cousin) can't come to terms with things and just bottle them up.

Thank you for sharing this and for your hard work out in California
- Maria ❤
Lalaland (1 stories) (1 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-13)
Hi there. I'm so sorry for not getting back to you all. I checked off the do not participate box because I have a very demanding job (fighting fire in CA) and knew I probably wouldn't be able to get back to anyone on time. It's also my first time posting on this site, so I didn't know what to expect. My apologies. Silverthane61 - I have not had any follow up events after that, but I also never went back to that playground after that experience. I did continue going to my cousin's apartment until her family moved out in 1999, but no follow up events after that while I was there.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-05)
I note that you choose not to participate in the discussion. That is fine, but I still would like to know if you had any follow-up events either involving the playground or not. It seems that you have described an event that involves more than one entity. I wonder if any past events in that area have occurred to cause this haunt?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-31)
Lealeigh.

It is frustrating, isn't it?

I usually read the poster's expectations before investing my time reading a story. Hopefully I'm not missing much by deciding not to read this one.

Lalaland - happy Halloween and welcome to YGS.
I am not...err... Witching, but knowing that any questions I may have won't be answered feels like standing in front of my favorite food with my hands tied at my back and my mouth covered with masking tape. 😐
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-31)
I wonder why people go through the trouble of writing and submitting a story if they won't participate in the discussion. I hope that was checked off accidentally.

Anyway, I like your screen name because that is where I seem to be living lately. 🙄

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: