You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Gettysburg Ghost Experience

Real Ghost Stories

Gettysburg Ghost Experience

 

I've had numerous paranormal experiences in Gettysburg. This is one of the scariest.

I was near the Rose Farm, off of Confederate Avenue, looking for the location of a New York Artillery Battalion. It was August, hot, muggy; just typical summer weather... It wasn't super windy, but there was a nice breeze blowing. As I walked through the trees, I could hear leaves rustling, birds singing; just normal summer sounds. I followed a narrow path leading to the cannon site, which is about 150 feet into the woods. At first, I didn't notice anything strange, but suddenly I realized there was absolutely no sound AT ALL. Even though I could see the trees moving in the breeze, it was dead silent. And COLD, like I had stepped into a freezer. I stopped, unsure if I should keep going or turn around and leave.

I should point out here that even though I've had many paranormal experiences in my life, I don't scare easily, but what happened next sent me running like a scared rabbit.

I saw a flicker of movement out of the corner of my eye, but when I turned to look, there was nothing there. At least nothing I could SEE. I heard the sound of a match being struck, smelled tobacco, and a voice said clear as day (and very close to my ear), "You don't belong here. Get out!" At that moment, the silence broke with the sound of a cannon firing and I took off like the Devil himself was chasing me. I sat in my car, shaking, trying to gather my wits and process what had happened. Once I calmed down, I drove back to town and talked to one of the Park Rangers. I don't recall the gentleman's name, but he told me I wasn't the first person to have that experience.

A couple years later, in 2008, I went back to the site with a friend. This time, we both experienced what I had 2 years before. We have been to Gettysburg several times since that day, but neither of us went anywhere near the Rose Farm again.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lenape_Woman68, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-24)
Greetings, Lenape_Woman68, and welcome to YGS.

Did you keep the hand-carved pipe you found in your car as a memento? Such phenomena are particularly unusual, especially as the voice you heard was telling you to leave in what seems to have been an unfriendly manner. I wonder if your reaction caused the entity some regret, hence the 'gift' left in your car.

Best,
Biblio.
Lenape_Woman68 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-02-21)
Thank you for the welcome! It seems like no matter where you go in Gettysburg, there is at least some paranormal activity. One detail I didn't include in the story. When I returned home after the first trip, while unloading my car, I found an old, handmade smoking pipe, much like the ones from the Civil War era, under the front passenger seat. To this day, I still don't know where it came from or how it got under the seat.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-10)
Welcome to YGS.

I wonder if the warning was meant for you, or if it is part of a memory kept at that place. Perhaps the match-lighting gentleman said those words to someone during a bygone battle.

Thanks for sharing this fascinating experience.
GingerRead (16 stories) (33 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-10)
Agreed. Hopefully there will come a time when they finally find peace.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-10)
Hi Lenape_Woman68

Definitely a creepy incident it would make anyone run and not look back, Gettysburg definitely is a very active ghost site.

At least this ghost was kind enough to let you know you in the wrong place. 😁
Rachel9997 (4 stories) (27 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-02-09)
Hi Lenape_Woman68,

Welcome to YGS!

Gettysburg is certainly a paranormal activity hotbed. This almost sounds like a sort of time slip situation like you were in that space somewhere between the time of the battle and the year you were actually there.

Very creepy story; you are brave to have gone back to that place a second time. Thanks for sharing your story! 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: