You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Ghosts Of Gettysburg

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghosts Of Gettysburg

 

I've always thought that my experiences in Doha, Qatar, were long dead and buried. I thought that after moving to the United States I'd be rid of all the paranormal phenomenon that haunted the lives of my children and myself. But recently something strange happened.

We are in the process of looking for colleges for my eldest who is a senior. Recently we took a trip to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania for this purpose. We reached late and checked into a hotel. Not the wisest idea in times of covid, but nonetheless, the next morning we explored the place and the grounds of the school. Our exploration led us to the site of the Gettysburg battlefield.

It was a cold day so we mostly drove through the place. It's beautiful and so full of history. We are big history fans here and anything as poignant as the bloodiest battle of the Civil war left us entranced. We got down to explore some of the war time monuments.

We didn't stay long as it was a bright clear crisp but cold morning. I noticed as I was walking back to the car, I felt my body grow heavy as if someone had placed a weight above my shoulders. I felt nauseated and drained of energy and got such a bad headache. I literally ran back and shut the door of the car. We literally did not stop after that, and quickly left the battleground. The feeling immediately evaporated as soon as we drove away and things went back to normal.

I've never been the one to believe in energy. I've always frowned of a place having residual energy as such, but this trivial incident has left me feeling unsettled and with questions. Why did I feel like that? Was is my imagination or something more?

After coming back home, I researched the history of the place. Well it was gruesome, it says that countless lives were lost and people have seen civil war soldiers and once or twice two college professors while they were stepping out of the elevator came upon a complete scene where they saw a civil war hospital with doctors and nurses and even wounded soldiers. The article says that all the spirits stopped and turned toward the elevators to look at the two professors who had quite accidentally stepped into 1863. So I'd really appreciate if someone could shed some light into what I experienced that day, please. Was it a figment of my imagination or people do feel like this in places with such sad energy? I look forward to hearing your take on this. Thanks for reading about my experience.

Other hauntings by Amena

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Amena, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mari (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-01-27)
your feelings are valid. It was a bloody war where men died or where wounded. These guys where tired, sick, hungry and perhaps a long way from home away from their families. The strain of war is a high emotionally driven effect that can leave emotional prints.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+1
3 years ago (2021-01-02)
Hello Amena,

Not that long ago there was some footage on the news about tourist sighting ghosts at the Gettysburg battlefield and I wanted to see the full footage because I just caught the end of it on the news. I asked here on YGS if anyone knew of the footage and lucky for me Valkricry posted a link for me.

Here's the link.

Https://local21news.com/news/local/video-tourist-captures-ghost-sighting-at-gettysburg-battlefield-sparks-debate

I think you'll find it interesting.

The fact that you had a feeling of heaviness nauseated and drained of energy and getting a bad headache is no surprise to me. The amount of poor soldiers who died there has obviously left a lot of bad energy.

The intensity of all the deaths in that one place must be overwhelming.

I hope you feel better and have more posts to share in the future.

Best wishes,
SWS
MrsRamsay (guest)
+4
3 years ago (2020-12-26)
Hi Amena,
I'm late to your story, busy month, but wanted to let you know that I experienced similar things at the battlefield near my home in Georgia. The battlefield here at Kennesaw Mountain is quite large and encompasses ten miles of walking/running trails that have been preserved as a national park. I've heard disembodied voices there, recorded an EVP that said, "Them soldiers is dead." And one time while walking up the hill they call the Dead Angle (also known as Cheatham Hill), where northern units were decimated by the southern defenders who were heavily dug in and armed at the top -- I started getting SO winded, literally could NOT catch my breath and my anxiety was through the roof. I had to stop walking, bend over and try and calm myself, when I realized that there was NO WAY those feelings and emotions (even symptoms is a better word) were from me. I was a runner for many years and never experienced anything like that... The event ended after about 30 seconds. At the time I was worried that I had just gotten so old and heavy, but it still seemed creepy... Came on so fast and ended just as fast. And the next time I walked up the same hill, I barely felt it, breathing was completely normal. That's when I knew I had experienced some of what those soldiers felt as they charged up that hill to their deaths. Now I won't go there by myself. This is the one story I have that I'm reluctant to tell... It's even hard for me to believe it. But I do.
The_Morrighan (2 stories) (44 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-12-13)
Hi Amena,
I would definitely say that what happened to you was an empathic experience. I'm an empath myself and sometimes the sheer inundation of emotions can be quite startling to say the least. As Tweed has said you're not going nuts! There are a lot of us out there.
Amena (3 stories) (9 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-12-13)
Thanks [at] Tweed for your lovely post. I appreciate it. I've always heard the term empaths but didn't know really what it entailed. I'm going to think about sharpening my skills. It's interesting I've always felt different in places with energy now I know why.:)
Thanks again for your comments. Stay safe and well.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-12-13)
Hi Amena,

The short answer is yes! People can feel this way in locations like Gettysburg. If you take a look under your narrative you'll find a lot of other experiences from this location. So you're definitely not alone.

It sounds like you experienced what empaths go through. In paranormal circles an empath is someone who feels the energy and/or experiences of a location or object. They literally feel the loudest emotions, or echoes of a place or thing, usually the history. Many believe that everyone has this ability but may only experience it once or twice. If you've never experienced anything like this before chances are you won't be bombarded with it suddenly. That said, a person can also choose to sharpen these skills or even to shut them out if they feel them coming on.

Hope this helps. Don't worry you're not going nuts!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: