You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Northumberland Heights

Real Ghost Stories

Northumberland Heights

 

By January of 2004, my grandmother was finally given the opportunity to celebrate her retirement after many years of working almost tirelessly for the Industrial Accident Prevention Association (IAPA) of Ontario. Her career was dedicated to contributing to workplace safety. My parents had reserved a spot at a German restaurant called Northumberland Heights to celebrate her long-awaited and well earned retirement. Northumberland Heights has since been demolished, but at the time, it was located within a heavly forested area within the small town of Baltimore, Ontario, where we resided. In addition, it also served as a hotel, in which many visitors had reportedly encountered sightings of apparitions in the hallways and in the basement.

During the party, I remember conversing with one of the waitresses. Her name was Lucy, a fairly young woman with short, dark hair and dressed in a traditional German dress known as a dirndl. She mentioned one particular common occurence involving the spectral image of a woman in a white gown that she and many other guests had spotted through their peripheral vision. Upon turning to face the mysterious woman, she promptly vanished every time.

Northumberland Heights was decorated to resemble an authentic Bavarian restaurant. Several advertisements for popular German lagers were mounted to the walls. We reserved an extended room at the back of the restaurant with an oversized window. The window provided us with a beautiful view of the forested hillside and the adjacent town of Cobourg on the horizon. The hillside was completely blanketed with fresh snow. The ambiance was enough to make visitors feel as if they were actually in Germany.

Being only sixteen at the time, I became restless very easily and was tempted to leave the restaurant and wander the grounds several times during the party. I noticed a vintage television set in the lobby and I decided to turn it on out of curiosity. I turned the dial, yet nothing happened. After three failed attempts, I surmised that resturant staff kept the television on display merely for decoration. I turned the dial back to the off position and made my way to the front door. I stood by the door and waited for my brother to join me. Soon after, the television had suddenly switched on to reveal the live broadcast of a major golf tournament. The lobby was completely unoccupied.

I immediately headed back to our table, as everybody was getting ready to leave. I ran into Lucy on her way to serve another table. I informed her of the strange incident involving the television. She mentioned that such incidents within the restaurant were fairly common. Now that Northumberland Heights is no longer standing, I will most likely never learn the truth behind this perplexing encounter.

Other hauntings by GingerRead

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GingerRead, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GingerRead (16 stories) (33 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-19)
Rajine: Thank you so much! I hope to find out more. It really was a nice party and a great way to celebrate all of my grandmother's contributions!
GingerRead (16 stories) (33 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-03-19)
lady-glow: The last time I drove past the area where this building stood, it was gone. It's possible they moved to another location.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+1
2 years ago (2022-03-18)
I was interested in the place and took a look. The young couple who bought it seem sweet, but it's interesting that there are hardly any photos of the accomodations on the site. I'd sure love to see that view you wrote about. Hope they revamp their website though, as I would hesitate to book with only the stock photos and computer images on the site... Other than the photo of the proprietors, only one seemingly real photo of some round tables that purports to be the restaurant. Not your story but the website makes me think there's a scary movie to be written, given the website and my own imagination. What if my family booked there, sight unseen? And we found your old tv? Yikes.
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-03-14)
Thank you for the very interesting story, GingerRead. It sounds like it was a truly enchanted place. Spirits do seem to, on occasion, have the ability to affect electronics - so your television anomaly might well have been just one such instance.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-03-14)
Hello GingerRead.

Are you talking about this place?

Https://www.northumberlandheights.com/history

If so, it is not only still standing, but seems to be a successful place. Perhaps it is possible to learn more about your encounter and the identity of this ghostly lady.

Thanks for sharing.

PS. Sorry if the link doesn't work, I had to delete some characters and words for the system to accept it. I'm sure typing this story's title will lead to several pages regarding this place.
Rajine (14 stories) (771 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-03-13)
Hi GingerRead

A fascinating incident you experienced, hopefully if u do some research or speak to perhaps a local librarian they might be able to help you in finding our more about this place.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: