You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: In Spirit

Real Ghost Stories

In Spirit

 

After my great grandmother immigrated to Canada in 1929 with her new husband, her father decided to remain in England for the remainder of his years. Sadly, in the years they lived apart, they had very limited contact apart from periodically trading telegrams back and forth. Once they separated, she never saw her father's face nor heard his voice ever again.

It was a relatively quiet Saturday morning in 1952 and at the time, my great grandparents resided in a quaint suburban neighbourhood in Toronto with my grandmother and great aunt. My grandmother, then thirteen years old, decided to occupy her time by polishing her bedroom furniture. Once finished, she joined her older sister in the living room, where she passed the time by reading peacefully. They sat together quietly, before my great grandmother approached them in order to speak with them briefly. She appeared to be in both a perplexed and rather somber state. An uneasy expression was frozen on her face. Upon being asked what the matter was, my great grandmother glanced back at her daughters and said:

"You're going to think I'm crazy, but my father is right here with me".

Of course, they always claimed to be firm believers in the paranormal and neither of them believed she was crazy for saying that. They were however concerned about her well being and clearly noticed that something was wrong.

The following week, they received a telegram in the mail. It stated that her father had recently passed away. Sadly, the mail was always delayed and the time it took to arrive was always excessively longer. Once becoming informed of his passing, my great grandmother's superstitious episode became far more understandable. She then proceeded to elaborate by claiming that on that day, she felt that he began to communicate with her nonverbally. She said he felt a sense of pride in her for living in such a lovely home and raising two wonderful daughters. She was visibly upset by his passing, but over time, felt more at ease knowing that her father would always be with her in spirit. She soon began to live each day far more joyously knowing that her father would always be watching her from that moment forward.

Other hauntings by GingerRead

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GingerRead, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GingerRead (16 stories) (33 posts)
+4
11 months ago (2023-04-28)
Pelatiah, that's really interesting. A similar incident happened involving my grandfather. If I remembered correctly, a family picture was taken the day my parents were married in 1984. The photo depicted an odd, white mist surrounding my grandfather's face. He passed away in the summer of 1987.

CrimsonTopaz, thank you! I definitely agree.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+2
11 months ago (2023-04-10)
Ginger Read, what a sad experience for your family. My condolences and may your great grandmother's father RIP. That's heart warming that he came to her. I believe our departed always stay close. Thanks for sharing.
Pelatiah (4 stories) (73 posts)
+4
11 months ago (2023-04-09)
Ginger, this is a wonderful story! I'm reading it on Easter, which seems so appropriate (for me anyway).

It reminds me... Easter 2019 I had a big Easter gathering, with all kinds of great food inside and tables set up just a few yards away on this glorious spring day in Atlanta. As my four kids arrived with their families & friends I kept thinking about my grandparents' house on holidays, with picnic tables set up outside. I was close to my grandfather and thought about him especially, dead almost 30 years...

At some point we all stood up on this higher level to do a group photo and when I looked later at them I IMMEDIATELY noticed this streak of light on the picture... With Grandpa's face/spirit absolutely visible in the streak. I've had quite a few things happen to me that seem paranormal, but this photo is the thing that truly caused me to believe I am NOT imagining any of it! It's real. But similar to your story, was he on my mind because he was there, or was he there because he was on my mind? It's all good!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
11 months ago (2023-04-07)
GingerRead.

I'm looking forward to read your next story.

Need more characters.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+3
11 months ago (2023-04-07)
Hi GingerRead

I can't imagine how sad it must have been for your great grandmother, never to hear from her father again, those days were tough times for everyone... But I'm sure she was comforted by her experience and got closure she needed.
GingerRead (16 stories) (33 posts)
+3
11 months ago (2023-04-06)
Hello Lady Glow! Thank you so much for your kind comment! Should have my next story completed soon!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
11 months ago (2023-04-06)
Hello GingerRead.

This is such a lovely and reassuring experience, a proof that distance is not a barrier for love.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: