You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Experiences In Okinawa

Real Ghost Stories

Experiences In Okinawa

 

Forgot to give a timeline for the last story. This set of experiences was during my time in Okinawa from 2009 to 2011. I was stationed there on Kadena Air Base and lived in an on base dormitory. There were three major occurrences while I stayed in that room.

The first of the three was the least jarring. My room was occupied by a pair of young men who'd passed presumably during the US occupation way back. They never really bothered anything as they tended to just mill about the small room. At night, they usually settled into the chair by the window and on the foot of the bed. Never really felt anything negative from them just felt like company.

The next one however... There was a woman who'd wander the dorm. Usually she came to drunks and gave them "pleasant dreams" for the sake of keeping it PG. One evening I'd had a bit of alcohol myself but, no more than enough to be tipsy. I felt soft, feminine hands running down my back. A feeling I've had before years prior that like then, I rebuffed.

Apparently, she didn't take kindly to my dismissal as after that she appeared more frequently. I would be playing games on my laptop and my room would chill noticeably during the summer. It couldn't have been the AC since that came from the inner hallway. It was sometime after her visitations that another spirit started coming around.

I tie these two together due to them almost always appearing together and from what a friend told me later. This presence was another male, both him and the woman were native spirits. He would appear around the same time as her and they would stand opposite one another. His presence was accompanied by the air feeling much hotter than before. I'd end up half hot and half cold in the middle of their staredown.

One evening, I laid down to sleep for the night. Shortly after I laid down, I found I couldn't move. I felt a large rough hand on my head and another on my side before hearing the sheets creak as I was pressed into the bed. Of course, I panicked mentally and started muttering in my head "Get out" and trying to shake myself. It took some time before I wiggled slightly and utter "Ge..." As soon as I said the phrase aloud I was able to move freely and sprung out of bed.

At this time, the light was on but, there was seething shadows where the ceiling met the walls. I could actually see them writhing like small tentacles outward. There was an overwhelming presence bearing down on me so I contacted a friend of mine I'd just been speaking to on TeamSpeak. She came on and I explained the situation, she strongly advised that I did a banishing ritual to get rid of the offending spirit or that she could.

Not wanting to make things worse by messing any part of it up, I asked her to do so. She said to put her on the speakers and she read the words. No sooner did she finish than she disconnected abruptly midsentence as things calmed on my end. When she came back, a woman's voice screamed from behind her own. She said she'd dealt with the spirit although it had made an attempt at her.

That was when she explained what she'd gotten from the spirit. The woman in life had gotten involved with the wrong people and then the wrong forces. They "owned" her as she put it and she came that night to get me for scorning her. The man that I had kicked out, she mentioned him without prior knowledge, had come to protect me from her. He had taken his own life because of her and became bound to her and the Earth by custom.

I spoke to the man, apologizing for shunting him out as I had in panic. I thanked him for trying to protect me and said that I would honor his passing. As I finished speaking three lights blinked in the air over my bed. The shape of a triangle, first the top point, then down to the right, and lastly across to the left. After that night, I never saw nor felt either of them again. Speaking with my mother, she told me that the lights were his acceptance of the apology, his thanks for my honoring him, and his goodbye as he moved on.

The last one certainly startled me but, was altogether peaceful. I'm not sure if the two happening were connected but, they may have been. I was driving back to the dorm from the flightline that night when I saw a shadow blot out my back passenger window. It crept up toward the front passenger window before latching onto the side mirror. I couldn't see so much as I knew that it was swirling in around that window before it slid off entirely.

That night in the early morning, I'd woken up with the feeling that I was being watched. As soon as I opened my eyes, I was met with the white eyes of a small local girl staring unblinking into my own. I started with a jump before I felt she was harmless. I shook my head and told her that she could stay as long as she didn't watch me sleep anymore. She wandered away to look around the room as I fell back asleep.

Later on, I always kept a bucket next to my computer chair as a small table. I didn't use it as a table then because a small part of me said not to. So as I was playing my game waiting for a call from my mother, I'd feel something gently graze my leg at a steady rhythm. When she called, during our talking she'd asked me who my friend was. I was confused for a moment before she said; "The little girl sitting next to you." She also said she enjoyed watching me play my games.

She told me that she'd gone blind and passed away due to an old childhood illness a ways back. She'd been drawn to me as, whatever it might've been, I was the first person she'd 'seen' in ages. After that, I'd more frequently leave the bucket uncluttered while I played games or explained when I couldn't. My other two members of the room that I mentioned were unbothered by her so I didn't mind her either, so it was me and three spirits in that small room.

As I was writing these out, I recalled a couple details. My friend had said that the woman had guided something into the room that night and it had left before I'd gotten her help. The other was that my two resident spirits from prior were nowhere to be found during the incident. Not that I suspect them to have helped nor expected them to, just a curiosity.

Other hauntings by Skadus

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Skadus, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

blosomes (10 stories) (62 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-08-20)
Skadus
No no, please take your time.
I need to apologize for mis-spelling your name too.

I will be visiting Okinawa someday! It such a beautiful place!

Ryujin (Roy E. Lynx)
Skadus (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-08-19)
Rajine,

Apologies for the slow response. I couldn't say for sure either since it had apparently come about while I was "suppressed" as my friend put it. Whatever it was, it wasn't friendly in the least and would've likely caused harm. That was why the man had held me down as he had, from what she'd told me. I'd assume the shadows moving as they'd had was an after effect of it rather than the woman herself. All I know was while I was held down, I couldn't speak or move, let alone even open my eyes.
Skadus (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-08-19)
Blosomes,
Apologies for the slow response. I would recommend a trip to Okinawa not only for the spiritual occurrences but, for the island itself as well. I used to here plenty of stories of the supernatural while I was there across the island and the bases on them. Either local legend or word of mouth from othersrrvice members. It's definitely worth the visit, lucky I got to live there for a time.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-08-18)
Hi Skadus

Seems like you have a lot of spiritual activity around you, I wonder what it was that was guided by the woman into your room though.
blosomes (10 stories) (62 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-08-17)
Skadas
Wow sir! Yes! Those places too!
There are so many "maybes" when you encounter things in Okinawa 😳

I hope I can visit there someday.

Ryujin
Skadus (2 stories) (8 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-17)
Blosomes,

I certainly appreciate the information you have given. I could think of two other specific sites that I know of on base that something about them. The first of which was a more public area where a hill led up to a pair of room sized caves. These were said to be where many local wartime nurses had gone to hide during the invasion and took their own lives to avoid capture. They allow the locals on the base specifically to visit the site about once a year.

A friend of mine wanted to do our own visits to this site and one other. As we approached it, I felt like I shouldn't go any further whereas he pressed onward to the gates barring entry inside. I remember him talking about a hat someone had left just before a shadow peeked out. It stood slightly taller than him and seemed to be more curious than harmful. I told him about it and he very quickly ran back to me.

The second, I can't exactly disclose where it was. When we visited that site, we didn't get far into the area. About the same time, we both felt breathless taking deep ineffective breaths. I knew something was off considering he was in far better shape than I, so he shouldn't get as tired as I would so fast. We spoke about the sudden onset and decided it best to turn back.

You might be on to something for sure however. I've done some reading based on your suggestion but, will likely have to dig deeper yet. Unfortunately, I do know how many governments feel about older/ancient holy sites. Always a terrible shame when they disturb such places.
blosomes (10 stories) (62 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-08-16)
Skadus
Hmm... Interesting!
I've done my research too.

Have you heard of Yuta in Okinawa?
Some modern monuments or historical ones, maybe be on a training site of Yuta, which is known to be sacred, now very haunted spots with angry spirits.

Well, incase you don't know what Yuta is, they are some kind of media and shaman mixed but normal women. They will be trained in sacred places called Utaki, which can be as simple as a small bush to a mountainous site as a child.

During the war, the Japanese government had to modernize the place and had taken lots of those Utakis and had built buildings and monuments on them.

The information is from one of my friend whose grandmother is known to be a local Yuta. You how political people is not into "sacred places" during those days 😕 I kind of believe in that.

Hope it helps you

Ryujin
Skadus (2 stories) (8 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-08-16)
RCRuskin,
Wanted to follow up as I've finished that video, you sent. I heard all of those stories during my time there and have seen some evidences to their claims. I arrived a short time after the house was torn down so the stories of that one particularly were still "fresh". From what they told me the reenactment actors of the murder/suicide had all met unfortunate fates shortly after. However that may be an embellishment of the story.

To you and Blosomes,

I would suggest a short video from a camera feed on the base. The Ghost of Kadena Gate 4, I worked a few blocks from that particular gate. In the video, you'll see a shadow milling about the gate. Security Forces only ever worked that Gate during the day similar to Clarkson Gate 4 in reasoning. At night, they said radios would sporadically speak nonsense and electronics would malfunction.
Skadus (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-08-16)
I probably should have mentioned this in the story above. Like most times that I visited the office at night, I would hear voices out in the maintenance bay talking loud enough to hear. Even though I could hear it plainly, I could only make out a few words now and again. Mostly it was talk of deployment or equipment in general. If I opened the door to the bay, the talking would stop.

The other would happen at anytime of day. I would catch a glimpse of a tall and older man walking by in uniform. I'd barely catch it most times but, when I could it was more of a translucent blur. My mother told me before I left the island, "Stand at attention and salute. When you do say 'Congratulations, Sir.'" When I finally did, I felt that the person had stopped in front of me and was pleased. What she had told me was, he'd been promoted but, passed away before he could receive it. So he paced the hallways trying to get to his ceremony that never came.
Skadus (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-08-16)
RCRuskin,
Yep, that would be the one. I haven't quite been able to watch the whole video just yet however, sorry. That story it spoke in the very beginning was one of the big ones. Got told about it shortly after my arrival.

As with the young girl, I couldn't say for sure on her account. I'm not too experienced in that area of expertise even now. I'm inclined to believe my friend based on her having knowledge about things she couldn't otherwise based on situations I can confirm. As in helping me find lost items despite never being anywhere near me due to geographical distance.

Only thing I could say from my personal experience to lean toward is her eyes. Her eyes were a milky white wear you could tell where her Iris and pupils should be. The stare in particular felt more like she was sort of looking directly at my face but, not quite sharply focused. Ultimately, she wasn't any sort of problem once she had stayed around. I do understand any concerns as to the oddity of the explanation since it's strange even to me. I do know that she would sit on the bucket mentioned since I'd feel her foot brush my leg like she was kicking her feet. Whether or not she actually -was- able to watch, I'm afraid likely no one would truly be able to confirm that.
Skadus (2 stories) (8 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-08-16)
Blosomes,
There were quite a few events and such going on on the based, not just Kadena AB. I recall a firefighter telling me about their Flightline station 5 (at least I think the number was 5). They were telling me how it was cold even during the summer and that they rarely used the on station bunks. Talked about a more classic story of a woman in white wandering the bunk areas. She liked to stare over anyone sleeping in the bunks he said. Mostly, they all stayed in the truck bay unless they needed the restrooms because of her wandering. I can't speak of that being true or not however as I wasn't a firefighter.

Those that I mentioned were largely the most active ones that I'd personally seen. Though, I had several more on the lighter side of activity.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-08-16)
Skadus, do you mean this place? Https://youtu.be/wuVZuGk2cmA

Military establishments seem to have a lot of weird goings on. Probably because of deaths that happen; probably because the instruments of death and destruction attract certain spirits.

I find it most curious that the spirit of the girl who went blind and then died could not see. It is not what I would expect to be so.
blosomes (10 stories) (62 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-08-15)
Skadus
Wow! What an experience!
I have heard lots of strange stories from Okinawa but never on the base, its mostly local legends or local happenings.
Creepy... 😨

Hope you are doing well now!

Ryujin

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: