You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunting In Midwest City

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting In Midwest City

 

In the 70's I was a professional musician and toured a lot in Texas, There were times I was away from home weeks at a time.

During these gigs I was playing my girlfriend was cheating on me and I decided to move out of the house we shared together.

I moved in with a childhood friend who had a house waiting for him when he returned from his stint in the Marines after his second tour in Viet Nam.

He had a two bedroom house and I didn't have any bedroom furniture, so until I managed to at least get a bed to sleep in I slept on the couch.

The arrangement was perfect! I worked days & my friend worked nights and the only time we saw each other was during the weekends.

I noticed that just about the time I would start to doze off I would hear one of the latches to one of the bedroom doors click. This was an older home with solid wooden doors and to fully close them you had to push them to and you would hear the latch click. This went on for weeks!

This house had a floor furnace located just a few feet away from where the couch was located and eventually after hearing the bedroom door latch click I would hear a sound that sounded like someone had just stepped on the grating for the floor furnace.

One weekend when my roommate was at home I asked him if he had experienced any weird things happening in the house. He looked at me with his eyes wide open and asked me "Why?".

I told him what had been happening to me at night when he was at work.

He told me that one night he had been asleep and heard his keys jingling. We had a double cylinder dead-bolt lock on the front door and we would leave our keys in the lock at night. He got out of bed to check it out and his keys were swinging in the lock and there wasn't anyone outside the door to cause that to happen.

We were both smokers and used Zippo lighters. He mentioned that he started hearing the clicking sound of a Zippo lighter being opened/closed.

One day he went shopping for groceries and when he walked into the kitchen to put things away all the cabinet doors were open!

Eventually we both started hearing the same sound when we were both at home.

Jokingly we named our ghost "George" and whenever we would hear the clicking sound we'd say "OK George... Knock it off".

Later on he decided to move his girlfriend in and I had to relocate. She too had started hearing "George" around the house.

She eventually put an old family bible she had on the living room table and he told me that everything came to a halt. No more "George".

My friend passed away last year and his home is up for sale. I've been tempted to ask the new home owner if they have experienced any strange things happening at the house. So far the house has remained unsold.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RicOkc, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

nacpat88 (3 stories) (10 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-01-24)
Hi RicOkc,

Welcome to YGS. While you lived there, did you guys checked the background of the house to check if someone passed away in that place? When you felt someone sitting on your bed did you sense any change of temperature or any strange smells?
Sometimes the spirits gets attached to the houses due to sudden or unpleasant death or unfulfilled desired. It surely did not seem malevolent.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-06)
Hi RicOkc

Seems like "George" was a resident spirit that probably wanted to make itself known, I also wonder if "George" is still there.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+6
1 year ago (2022-12-06)
Welcome to YGS.

Hello RicOkc.

I'm inclined to think that the activity was caused by an undeparted previous inhabitant of the house, perhaps only curious of the people invading 'their' space, and following the same routine they use to do in life.
Although not harmful, I'm sure the activity must have been unnerving.

Was there a special reason why you guys decided to call the ghost "George"? This is not the first story in this forum in which people have called a resident ghost by this name.

Also, did "George" stop making noise when asked to "knock it off"?

I'm glad to know that displaying the Bible was enough to send "George" away, hopefully to a place of happiness and peace.

"My friend passed away last year and his home is up for sale. I've been tempted to ask the new home owner if they have experienced any strange things happening at the house. So far the house has remained unsold."

By this do you mean that your friend was still living in the house when he passed away or did he sold it at some point and moved out of it?
Is the house currently empty?

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
RicOkc (1 stories) (1 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2022-12-05)
One thing I forgot to add to the story...

I got a bed and moved into a room. One night while I was about to doze off I felt someone/something sit on the edge of my bed.

I managed to get to the light switch without my feet touching the floor once. When I turned on the bedroom light there was no one there!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: