You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Night Gown

Real Ghost Stories

Night Gown

 

In 1992, at the age of 16 I had moved in with my Aunt for a short while. It was during that stay, that I experienced my second paranormal encounter.

The first time I saw the little girl, I was not alone. My aunt was also witness. While talking amongst ourselves, we happen to notice a young girl standing outside towards the edge of the road. She looked to be 10 years of age, and was just standing there looking at us. It was how she looked, and what she was wearing that stuck out to me. She had long dirty blonde hair, that looked as though she hadn't brushed it in a while or bathed either. She appeared to be wearing a long night gown, something I remember seeing and wearing as a little girl in the early 1980s. This was odd to me, because it was the middle of the afternoon. Naturally my Aunt and I became focused on the girl and watched as she just stood there staring at us and then running off into the vacant piece of land next to my Aunts house and vanish. We couldn't believe it! We said nothing about it to each other.

A little more time went by without any other occurrences. Until one day I happened to be looking out the same window that we had seen the little girl in and there she was. Like the last time she was just standing there, staring at me. We stood staring at each other for a couple minutes, before she once again took off running into the lot and disappeared.

I knew by this time I wasn't imagining this and became curious about her. I decided I was going to try to investigate, so I went outside and made my way over to the vacant lot. I didn't know what exactly I was doing or what I was looking for, but I kept walking through the lot. Eventually I came to a small group of manzanita trees. Something drew me to the middle of the trees. In the middle of these trees was a bare area of dirt. I felt compelled to start toiling away at this spot. I found a stick nearby and began to dig at the earth. Almost like I was a puppet being engineered by a puppeteer. I recall seeing everything I was doing it, but it seemed like I was being controlled. The stick I was digging with, eventually got stuck into something that wasn't dirt or a rock. I then pulled it up out of the ground and was shocked to see a piece of material hanging on the end of my stick. As I stood there looking at this material, it dawned on me that it looked a lot like the fabric on the night gown that little girl had been wearing. I immediately dropped the stick and high tailed it back to my aunt's house, trying to process everything. I didn't know what to do. I avoided looking over towards that land again after that.

Nothing happened the days that followed, until one of my last nights at my Aunt's house. It was late and I couldn't sleep. I was wide awake in the room I was staying in. This room was adjacent to the lot and the window to this room was directly in the area about 50 feet away, where I had found the material. While I was sitting in the room I happened to hear a child's laughter. Naturally I paused to have a better listen. Clearly I could hear a little girl giggling, and when I looked up I noticed a little face peering in the bedroom window. I felt pretty uneasy with the way she was looking at me and the sinister smile she had. I sat there staring back at her, for what seemed like an eternity. I couldn't stand it anymore and decided to push a large Armour in front of the window to block the girl from looking in the window any longer. This helped in that way, but did not help in blocking out the eerie giggles that I had to listen to for the rest of the night.

I remember laying in bed trying to drown her out, and that's all I remember until I woke up the next morning. When I got dressed that morning, I noticed a deep cut in my abdomen about the size of a small child's nail. I still have a scar from it today. I moved out of my Aunt's house shortly thereafter and never returned. I have often wondered about the girl and whether or not anyone else has had a run in with her.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Stardar77, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Plina88 (2 posts)
 
12 months ago (2023-05-01)
I know its creepy but man, she was probably appearing to you because she needed help. Could've gone in the day too. It makes me sad for her but totally understand the fright it must have had on you.
Maelstrom (23 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-04-17)
...or, send the pertinent information to the email address on my profile and I will do the honors.
Maelstrom (23 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-04-17)
Stardar77

You know, it would take nothing but a phone call to that county's sheriff's department and tell them what you found all those years ago. If the trees are still standing then they will find what you found. Please report it.
Linjahaha (24 stories) (128 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-02-09)
Stardar77, I find your story interesting. However, I do agree with a previous post from another reader that just 'maybe' you should have confided in you Aunt, & alerted the authorities. There may well have been a body [at] that site.
Possibly 'she' was trying to let someone know of her untimely, & probably wrongful demise.
There is not too much to go on here. I am surmising like everyone else. It was an intriguing read.
Thank you! 😉 😁
Stardar77 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-24)
I appreciate all input to my experience. You all have valid points. I have thought about all these things you've mentioned, believe me. I left my aunts for reasons I will not go into, but there are reasons I have not returned nor spoken with my Aunt since that time. My cousin (her daughter) and I are close and I do know, that my aunt tore down the house that was there and built a new one since then & that the driveway was poured on the spot. I only shared my story so others could enjoy reading it, nothing more nothing less.
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-01-22)
Hi Stardar77; your story has all the hallmarks of a work of fiction. It appears as a litany of ghost story cliches. And two suspicious statements in particular; you say that you and your aunt "said nothing about it to each other". This after you both observed the little girl, who could possibly or probably have benefitted from a short exchange, at least from your description of her appearance. If you ever discussed it with your aunt in the 30 years since the event, you don't seem to think it worth mentioning. Also, with regard to the empty lot; it would be so easy to look into the history of how it came to be empty, and your aunt would be the obvious place to start. And lastly, you have stated that you "will read the comments and participate in the discussion", but nothing from you as yet.
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-22)
Lost Voyage, that is a very diplomatic post you've made. Thank you.

I agree that it might be nice to see what's there & perhaps help by taking some action.
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (238 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-21)
Hello Stardar77, thank you for sharing your experience.

My question to you, is that in all these years, had you not thought of alerting anyone to what might be in that plot of land you found? If there's a body buried there, someone should be notified. I know you just found a scrap of cloth, but it seems that with what you've relayed that little girl could have met an untimely end and is trying to alert someone to that fact.

I agree her behavior could be malevolent, but it could also be the result of abuse or whatever she went through in life, before her death. There's not enough information in your story to determine that, but it's possible she's angry as well at what happened to her and perhaps from her point of view, the fact that her pleas for attention are being ignored.

I do acknowledge also that from the way you tell your story, it was rather traumatic for you as well, so I know it was probably easier for you to try and put it behind you, rather than dig into it further. I do try to see both sides here and I feel there is more to the little girls story.

Do you know if anything was ever built or put up in that vacant lot? You stated you haven't been back, but with today's internet and satellite views etc, you know the location and could easily look it up online and find out. It's quite possible that there may be news stories connected to the property, maybe someone did find a body and the truth revealed. It might put your mind at rest of nothing else?
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-01-20)
Hi Stardar77

That's a bizarre creepy experience, does your aunt still live there?

Do you think that maybe if you dug further you would have found a body? I shudder to think what you would have found.

From your narrative I can't tell whether what you saw and heard was a spirit of a girl or perhaps a malevolent entity pretending in the form of a child, especially from the sinister smile and facial expression, not to mention the cut on your abdomen (which I believe is a mark malevolent entities usually leave on its victims)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: