You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Haunted by a Water Spirit

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted by a Water Spirit

 

I moved to Macao about 1 year ago for work and I have been renting an old 2 bedroom flat by myself. A few weeks later I found a flatmate who sleeps in a bedroom next door. One morning my flatmate commented on screams and unintelligible spoken sounds coming from my room and asked if I had a bad dream. I had no recollection of any dream and I was aware that I sometimes speak out loud when I dream so I took no notice of it.

A few weeks later my flatmate made another comment about the noises, I thought nothing of it but then he told me it happens on a regular basis. I told him to wake me up next time, so I can recall what I was dreaming about.

It wasn't long when I had another night of noisy sleep, my flatmate came into my room and woke me up. When I was awake I was wet with cold sweat, and the bed mattress was hanging half off the bed. My flatmate told me I was moving violently in my sleep and we thought that's what caused the mattress to come off the bed. We turned on the lights to put the mattress back and noticed that there was a bit of water under the mattress. We lifted up the mattress and the wooden support beams that hold up the mattress were soaked. As if someone had poured a glass of water onto them.

My flatmate moved out of the house a few weeks later, and I have been living alone in the house since for about 6 months. I regularly lift up the mattress in the mornings to check it and the phenomena reoccurs on a regular basis. Each time it does I will leave the mattress off the bed, dry the bed and go to work. When I am back from work the bed is completely dry, however the water re-appears the next morning.

I have lived in Hong Kong and I have witnessed condensation appearing on walls etc on humid days but this is totally different to that. For one the water only and always appears under the mattress, and not on any other furniture. Also it occurs regardless of the weather and climate. I don't spend a lot of time in the house so I can't say I feel the house is haunted, also I have changed the locks since my old flatmate moved out so I can rule out anyone entering the house when I am not in.

What should I do, should I be worried or am I in any danger? My health is good in general, and I have no recollection of bad or good dreams. One friend who heard the story said it could be a water spirit/demon and warned me not to go swimming. I never learned to swim anyway so I don't go to pools or beaches.

The email address that was submitted with this story was invalid and we could not reach the author. If you are the author, please write us back so we can correct this information.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wayne, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Zeromaru (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-28)
Be aware and I hope you did not go to that dam near the ferry turminal...
psychodawl562 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-13)
Me and My boyfriend have a similar story like this, we just moved in to a new apartment and, its on the second floor, out of a two story building. We noticed a puddle of water that occurs in the kitchen of our linoleum floors. This only happens when we are asleep or away from our apartment. We wipe it up every time we see it, but keeps reoccurring. The dishwasher, sink, refrigerator and the ceiling of course are the only things that would be a possibility of water drips or trails, but there is no sign of any of that being connected with this mystery puddle, in any way. Are there any suggestions or comments about what I can do to fix this mystery puddle problem?
andee75 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-28)
I have a puddle story too... In November of 2007, I brought out a Ouija board during a party with a large group of friends. The board was very active and we spoke with a woman who said she was killed in our bedroom by her husband in 1983. He was never punished for his crime and she wanted someone to know, though she still wanted to keep this a secret from her children. Since that time, whenever we have a large group of friends over for a party, water puddles appear from nowhere in our bedroom.

At first I accused the dog, but the water had no odor and did not stain. Then I accused my husband assuming a knocked over bottle of water, but could never find a bottle or glass behind. He swears that he has nothing to do with it. These puddles are always found in the morning and are never there before I go to bed. Last night the puddle appeared on top of a power strip and blew the GFC switch in our bathroom (I'm not sure why the two affected each other, but it is an older house). I awoke to the power being out in half the house which happened to include my alarm clock.

Apparently she has more to say and I wasn't getting the message with the previous puddles. During our next large party, I may just bring that board out again and see what it will take to satisfy her. Think it is a bad idea? Maybe it is better to confront the spirits that cause these inconveniencies instead of moving or having the house cleansed. I'll repost after the next party!
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-15)
It seems to me many, stories are put on here with Authors that are not registered, and when they are asked many questions, they never come back.
Makes one wonder, about the story in the first place. It makes me wonder for sure.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-11)
Wow all these comments to this story, and the author don't come back to answer them. Hmmmmm!
killingkilgore (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
Thanks for sharing Wayne. That's a really creepy story. Have you tried sleeping somewhere else? Like on the couch, or another bed? Or even moving the mattress to another room in the flat and seeing if it still happens? I mean, I don't know if it would help anything, but at least you would know if it was something with you, or the room, or maybe even the mattress. Thanks for sharing!
marijun (8 stories) (30 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-10)
Wow... Never heard of this kind of encounter either... Just freaky, is all I can say. Thanks for the story though.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-09)
Hello Wayne. I have never heard of such a thing as this. Well, I did see a movie a while back called "Dark Water", where a little girl drowned in a big water tank of an apartment building and her body was still in there because nobody knew what happened to her. A mother and daughter rented an apartment. The apartment kept getting a molded water stain on the top corner of the ceiling in the bedroom. Really creepy! Even after the maintenance man would come to paint over it, the stain kept coming back. Then the little girl, when she was in the bathtub, started playing with this imaginary little girl. One time the little girl (ghost) held her down in the water and was trying to drown her. This movie was really messed up! So many more paranormal things occurred but the Landlord didn't give her any explanayions or even consideration for what kept happening in her apartment even though he new the apartment right above this mother and daughter was vacant and stayed that way because it was constantly soaked with lots of water. I guess they thought they could keep this oddity from the other renters. There is, of course, way more to the story but I'll end it in saying that when the little girl was finally found and pulled out of this huge water tank and laid to rest, everything turned out okay. She was finally at peace. Your case, I'm sure has nothing to do with ANYTHING like this movie. But I say get a new bed and move to the other bedroom! Or at the least GET A NEW BED! Let's see what happens from there. Thanks for sharing one of the strangest occurrences I've heard in the paranormal field. That is, if it really is paranormal. Thanks for sharing your story and keep us updated on any other occurrences.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-08)
If you were to move the mattress, let's say from that room and off the wood bed stats, would the floor still be wet the next day? Would the mattress be wet? Lets say you moved the mattress to another room and put the mattress on the floor of another room. Have you tried this yet? It might lead more to this story. That if it is not wet in other rooms where the mattress is, but only in this one. Then perhaps that is the only room in the place that may be haunted by some sort of entity.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-08)
I have a question about that mattress, Wayne.
In my daughters room, the frame of the bed is metal, running across it to support the mattress are five slats of wood. The mattress rests on top of that. There is no ridge on the frame, just enough room to hold up the wood slats, which means if she has a restless nights sleep, she has to shove the mattress back into place. Is THIS how that mattress is too? And how thick IS this mattress?
The reason I ask is this. If the wood under the mattress is wet, and the floor has a bit of a puddle on it when you wake after having these "episodes", what does the underside of the mattress itself look like?
You mention that the "wooden support beams that hold up the mattress were soaked..." And that "...there was a bit of water under the mattress..." What does the MATTRESS itself look like?
If you were to sweat enough that it soaks through the mattress to drench the wooden support beams underneath, and to leave a puddle on the floor, (depending on the size of the mattress) you theoretically would have depleted ALL of the fluids in your body. You would have been as a raisin in the sun.
You would ALSO have had stain marks. There would be a definite rust colored stain that circles the stain. In a water case, there would NOT be a stain. Not at first glance.
So what does the bottom of the mattress look like? Are there any types of stains? What color are the stains?
I do not think the water came from ABOVE the wooden planks and THROUGH the mattress. I would think that it came from BENEATH the mattress between the mat and the boards then onto the floor.
Thank you.
rootwomin (28 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
greetings,

here is a excellent resource on macao folklore. Perhaps purchasing it will prove to be helpful.

http://www.bestcountryreports.com/Id=Soci_Macau_Superstitions_Folklore.html

additionally here is the name a temple in the area that may be able to come out and bless your home and/or have more remedies for you. The indigenous beliefs of the area may be at play in this situation.

temple of a-ma, a sea goddess
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/macau/a_ma.htm

peace and blessings to you,

rootwomin
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
Hi Wayne. I can't believe you could sweat enough to make a puddle under your bed. That would mean you have sweat enough to soak all the way through the mattress and drench it so much so that it drips right through the whole mattress. No way. I think you'd die if you were losing that much of your body fluids in one night. Wow. Now here's where I become totally useless. I have never heard of such a thing. That is really strange. I also wondered if there were other experiences, anything weird in your apartment that could be connected in some way. Obviously this would be a big problem. See what you can find out about the place, maybe a drowning? Sounds sort of lame, even to me and I suggested it! Try telling the spirit to move on, it's not welcome in your home. Be firm. Just tell it to go, it will find peace when it passes on. There are directions for a smudging ceremony in the articles section here, give that a try. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story, it certainly is different.
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
I agree with Kim that there is something intruging about this and it shouldn't just be past off as sweating in the night. Unfortunately though, I'm at a loss for what you should do about it. Are you scared enough by the incidents that you would consider moving from the house? I assume you weren't "haunted" by this in previous places that you've lived, so it's not necessarily YOU who is haunted, it is probably the place you are living which has the problem. Do you have any particular religious views or faith? Because if you do, now would be a really good time to hold it strong in your mind, especially before bed.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
Wayne,
Welcome to the site and thank you for the story.

I found your story to be very fascinating and intriguing. From what you are describing, it sounds as if you may have another flatmate---one you did not invite.

First, place a cross in each of the rooms, especially the bed rooms. Pray, pray, pray. Take back the control, after all you are paying rent on the place. Pray our loud and to yourself. Tell 'it' to leave. Be assertive, not aggressive. Tell 'it' that 'it' is no longer welcome and 'it' must leave.

If this does not fit within your faith, please use whatever religious/spiritual faith you have. I shoudn't want to sleep there in that bed with the possibilities. Especially with the violent dreams and the thrashing about.

Keep us posted,
God Bless!
phsychic_freak (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-07)
I think you shouldn't be that concerned about this matter. You may not realize, but you could have sweat in your sleep since you are living in a scorching hot place. You wake up dry, that's probably because the sweat absorbs and sinks into the matress. It will end up cold as wood isn't that hot if it's down below, somewhere where the sun can't shine on it. Basically, there is a logical explanation for everything unless you have insulted something like a spirit, demon or ghost. Also, to avoid these matters, never try communicating with the dead by a ouija board. They are powered by the devil and are forbidden by God.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: