You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Crows And Shadows

Real Ghost Stories

Crows And Shadows

 

For quite a while I have been able to "see" certain signs of a family member's passing before they actually do. I can't explain it, my sister has the same ability. Apparently it is an Irish trait. My mother believes us, she also has some of these abilities. This story is not the first experience that I have had, I will share more as I am on the website.

When a member of our family is going to pass, I usually get visits from hawks. Hawks sitting on light poles or electrical wires, where really they have no business sitting. There is no food for them there, they just sit, and wait, for me in the same location.

So I make sure to mention this to both my mother and sister, so that I know I am not going crazy.

This Sunday, I was drying my hair and I had a black shadow peek around the door frame at me. Needless to say I am used to it, but it still startled me. I told my mother the same day while helping them to move, and my friend was also there to hear it. She called it "Crows and Shadows", and laughed.

Auntie Francis died yesterday at 12:32pm. My friend almost fainted when I called to tell her. I have many more stories to share. I am just looking for a name for this or other people who are legitamately having the same experiences.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MontrealAJ, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-10)
Iv only had something similar to this happen to me once. I was very close to my grandmother, closer then most people are to their grandparents. In 2004 I was in my apartment and had an overwhelming panicked feeling that something was wrong and I should call my "Mamere Bea". When I tried she didn't answer which isn't unusual but I couldn't shack the feeling so I called my mother and told her that Mamere wasn't answering the phone. My Mom assured me that she had spoken to Grandma and that she had told my mother that she was going to take a nap and not to bother her. Now my Grandma NEVER told people not to bother her so that WAS unusual. I tried to call Mamere again about 45 minute later and still no answer. By this time I knew something bad had happen so I had Mrs. Wade (the women that lived down the hall) to check on her. Mrs. Wade found my Grandmother dead in her lazyboy. She had died of a stroke and was later discoved to be having said stroke when I first felt panicked like something was wrong an hour before we found her.
My father is pure Irish and my Mother First Nation North Amarican Indian. I never saw any birds though and or never noticed them if I had.
No other's have died close to me since then.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-10)
Iv only has something similar to this happen to me once. I was very close to my grandmother, closer then most people are to their grandparents. In 2004 I was in my apartment and had an overwhelming panicked feeling that something was wrong and I should call my "Mamere Bea". When I tried she didn't answer which isn't unusual but I couldn't shack the feeling so I called my mother and told her that Mamere wasn't answering the phone. My Mom assured me that she had spoken to Grandma and that she had told my mother that she was going to take a nap and not to bother her. Now my Grandma NEVER told people not to bother her so that WAS unusual. I tried to call Mamere again about 45 minute later and still no answer. By this time I knew something bad had happen so I had Mrs. Wade (the women that lived down the hall) to check on her. Mrs. Wade found my Grandmother dead in her lazyboy. She had died of a stroke and was later discoved to be having said stroke when I first felt panicked like something was wrong an hour before we found her.
My father is pure Irish and my Mother First Nation North Amarican Indian. I never saw any birds though and or never noticed them if I had.
No other's have died close to me since then.
sleepyhollow17 (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-25)
im irish and english, but mostly irish, and everytime a family member dies, my mom and I notice the turtledoves sitting ontop of their houses.
GothicWinter (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-10)
I can also sense when someone is going to die. I can feel it. And, oddly enough, I am half Irish. When someone I know is going to die, I always see shadows, but instead of hawks, I see crows...everywhere. And I always get the feeling of dread.
iyanamist (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
Crows and Shadows

"Native American legend tells of a crow who was fascinated with her own shadow so much so that she kept pecking at it until it came alive. Her shadow then ate her. This tells of crow knowing both worlds. She became part of the mystery."
elpe12 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-21)
Earlier this year, my grandfather's health was failing and I just had this realization that he was going to pass away.

On every day leading up to his death, I saw crows everywhere. Understand now that this was in the dead of winter when there was still snow on the ground. I was waiting for the bus one morning and there were three crows on my driveway and three in a dead tree across the street.

A few days later I was sitting in one of my classes during school and I looked out the window to see the biggest crow I have ever seen standing in the parking lot dead even with my desk.

I don't know if I was just sensitive to the fact that my grandfather was dying and saw signs, or if I was just noticing how large the crow population of my hometown was.
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-17)
Hi montrealaj, I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your aunt.

Birds seem to be a sign of death in many cultures. Sometimes they have to be doing something in particular (like trying to enter a house) other times you just have to see them. I have heard stories from tribes on Canadas west coast that the owl can be a sign of death. They say that you can hear the owl say your name and that means you will die soon. I have also been told that the number of crows you see will mean different things and 3 crows (I think) means death. I think this comes from England but I'm no sure. So depending on what your culture is/where you are from, birds mean different things.

On a non paranormal side, in my area of Canada it is quite normal to see hawks on power lines and telephone poles. It gives them a good view of their territory, especially if all the big trees have been cut down in the area. Its possible that hawks are always around and you are just noticing them more when you are worried about someone you knows health.

I didn't read the other comments so sorry if I repeated anything already said. I would be interested in hearing more about your and your families experiances.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
Crows & Ravens were best known to gather over battlefields and feast on the flesh of fallen warriors. It was said that if one of these goddesses appeared before an army going into battle, the army would be defeated. In some cultures it is thought that the soul once freed from the body take form of a bird. Egyptians believed that the soul could leave the dead body in the form of a bird, often a hawk. The Greeks and Celts thought that the dead could reappear as birds. The Sumerians of the ancient Near East believed that the dead existed as birds in the underworld. According to Islamic tradition, all dead souls remain in the form of birds until Judgment Day, while in Christian tradition, the gentle dove became a symbol of the immortal soul ascending to heaven. Native Americans, such as the Tsimshian people of the Pacific Northwest, Raven is both a trickster and a culture hero. Sometimes his antics shake up the gods and the established order of the universe, and sometimes they backfire and get him into trouble. Often, though, Raven's deeds benefit humankind, as in the legend of how Raven brought light into the world. After finding the hiding place where the Creator kept the moon, the stars, and daylight, Raven released them so that they could shine on the world. When owls appear in mythology, their meaning is often uncertain and complex, neither all good nor all bad. Owls are symbols of wisdom, patience, and learning, yet because they hunt at night, they are associated with secrecy and darkness.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Well I loved the explanation of the white owl. I'm all that except for the psychic part. I know I'm not anymore intuitive than the average person. According to my culture of German and Polish it's a bird getting into the house and flying around that is the harbinger of death. Doesn't matter what kind of bird it is just that it got inside. My sister works with the terminal elderly and the week that one of her patients died a bird was trying like the dickens to get into the house. After days of smashing itself into the sliding doors (yes it was against glass and we know they can be attracted to glass) it died then the patient died. Coincidence? Possibly. Sorry for the loss of your aunt. You got a heads up and I hope that gives you comfort instead of thinking of it as a something dark and sinister. Death is a continuation of life without a body which is like shedding an old coat no longer needed.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
MontrealAJ: We do this sometime, we talk a lot with each other. Welcome to the Site, and join in...
Blessings, Ghostseer
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Please excuse the interruption to your page, Montreal.
No problem, Rhodes. That is why we are a COMMUNITY, to share our personal thoughts, experiences and beliefs. And to add to (or subtract) from others thoughts to gain more knowledge. 😉
Now, if it were a RED owl, that would point to deliberate death, a BROWN owl, to a negative experience and a BLACK owl (VERY, VERY rare)... I shall not post THAT one.
Keep trying to send it! I am DYING of curiosity NOW!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Oh,...I skipped the part about the WHITE color of the owl.

Yes Autumn (I'm still trying to send you you know what)
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Pure Wisdom. Innocent wisdom. Devoid from any harm, wisdom. That is the "meaning" in a White Owl. Their size, and "obvious age" gives higher hints as to WHOM it is that the are "representing".

Hawks are said to be the carriers of our differences. It is said that should you leave your differences at the door of your dwelling (the old saying..."Never go to sleep angry?!"... **Nodding head** that is where that is said to COME from) the hawk will swoop down at night and remove it/them from your presence.

I have a bit of a humorous tale about a hawk that I had a "morning talk" with many months ago.
I drive country roads throughout my days of work. For three days I was impressed by this magnificent hawk that would simply fly around a fence post as if it's leg was tied to a string that was tied to that post. It was flying about 30 foot above the post, in a wide circle.
I had been going through some personal things at the time and was too "busy" to stop and see what was going on with the hawk (Uh, if he had been "hunting", the mouse, I would think, would not have hidden at the base of that pole). A friend suggested that there was a "teacher available", but that I was ignoring it.
The hawk immediately came to mind. For THREE days it circled this SAME post.
So I left out early the next morning to "speak with" the hawks spirit.
Know what was "tied to" that very same pole, in the stead of that hawk?!
😆 A burro.
I think I got that message rather CLEARLY.
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Ghostseer hi.

The Owl has come to represent many things in various cultures.

For most Native Americans there's a duality behind that bird:it is a symbol of spirituality as well as of death-a bad omen.

For Greeks, Romans and Celts it represents psychic powers, spirituality, the Angel of Death, the Goddess of the Night.

In the Indian culture it is seen as a companion and stands for wisdom.

Google for more information if you like. There are a number of very interesting articles.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
This got me to thinking about how birds play a role in premonition. I think this the word montrealAJ is looking for... Does anybody know what white owls represent?.Blessings, Ghostseer
AngelaListedMIA (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
this isn't the same thing exactly, but everytime I think of my dad I see a certain type of butterfly and every single time I go to the cemetary I will say goodbye and sure enough one of those butterflys will float by
It surprises me because the weather is getting cold now and I still see them

The same thing happens to my boyfriend when we talk about his dad, only instead of a butterfly, he will see or hear a flock of geese
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
I echo the others' sentiments here, and I am very sorry for your loss. It does seem that you have a form of a gift, and that these birds may be visiting you to warn you of what will pass. Although this may be seen as a negative thing, try to think of it as a "heads up" so you're not taken completely by surprise with an unexpected passing. At least you will have a little time in advance to buckle down and prepare for what may come.

Warmest blessings to you and yours,

DA
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
I am very sorry for your loss.

I agree with the others, generally a message from a crow sighting can not be positive.

I am not sure how one would prevent this curse or gift, which ever way you see it. There are very few things we know how to control when it comes to the paranormal studies.

God Bless!
hardtoremember (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Nice to know it's not just me! Lately I have been getting fly by's from crows like crazy. My Aunt is dying but I am talking about a lot of crows for the last month. Probably about 15 to 20 or so.
Last week a bird just flew within a couple of inches of my head and hit the door at my store! I went to it while it was on the ground and it just looked at me. I told it to get up and fly and it did.
Also, I have this weird thing with injured birds. I find them and feed them and then another bird comes around after a few hours and it fly's away.
Just odd.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
One more to be added to the list... Welcome Montreal!

I have these awful premonitions too only I see more specific things like the person in particular but not always the way they die.

In my culture (Greek) "crows" are messagers of the underworld, bearers of bad news. When I see or hear one in a shadow form I know nothing good will come out of it. I'm not familiar with what other cultures believe though.

I'll be looking forward to more of your experiences!
Luca (1 stories) (83 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
It's not exclusively Irish, AJ, I'm of Arabic descent. Comforting to learn that someone else can do it, too. I'm very sorry to hear your Aunt died.

Good point, Theodr, our eyes often play tricks on us, until we can prove it otherwise, that is. I love Norse mythology!
Theodrhelm (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
usually in norse myths the sign of Ravens or Hawks are a blessing meaning that a person's death (a warrior king or a hero in norse myths) was accepted by the gods or god
I don't know what is your faith or belief, but this Hawk signs are sure nto signs of Hauting, nor perhaps a sign of a norse myth come true, but perhaps it is your family guardian, if you have any acenstry with native americans or any belief in myths, orperhaps they found a good place where food is abundant and easy to hunt to place their nests.
As for the shadow, I cannot say that if it is really a haunting or just your eyes playing tricks, for many times I guessed I've seen hautings in forms of shadows. But I accepted as if my eyes were playing tricks.

Great story tho, very simple and plain about what happened
Thanks for sharing with us!

Theodr

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: