You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Shadow Man In The Hallway

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Man In The Hallway

 

This is my first time posting a story on this site and I'm a little weary about doing it so bear with me.

My husband and I moved into my father-in-laws old house about 2 years ago. It sits on around 15 acres of land in Mannford a town of 2,000.

Our house sits a little back from the road and as you walk in the front door (this will all have meaning) we have a large living room. Off to the right and back is our dining area, to the left of that is the kitchen. The kitchen and living room are separated by a wall. When you walk out of the kitchen there is a large hallway that leads back to 2 bedrooms and a bath. Our bedroom is not more than 10 steps from the kitchen.

One night my husband and I were watching television and I had decided it was time for bed. I went to our room and got ready for bed leaving my husband in the living room watching TV (he often falls asleep on the sofa). I have a hard time sleeping with complete silence so I turned on our television in the bedroom and set the sleep timer. Then I couldn't get comfortable at the head of the bed so I put my pillow at the foot of the bed (I don't know why this helps me but it does) and fell asleep.

I'm not sure how long I had been asleep but I woke up feeling like someone was watching me. I looked out into our 'large hallway' and saw a black shadowy figure staring at me. I know it was man because I could see the outline of his hair, his shirt and the fact that he had long boy shorts on. I just stared at him for about a minute or 2 then reached around and turned my bedside lamp on and of course he was gone.

I jumped up out of the bed and ran into the living room to see if my husband was in there. He was fast asleep on the sofa. So I just sat there for a minute trying to get a little composer before I woke him up and asked him to come to bed with me.

I haven't seen the shadow figure since but have often seen a little girl running around my house.

I'm not sure what to think about all this because. My father-in-law had this house built in '97 or '98 so it's not an old house or anything.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sheli111, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sheli111 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-26)
TammyMom-I was going to email you but you do not have a email address on your page. I did have Leery on my original draft but when it was corrected they changed it.
Thank you for your comments.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Shadow people... Just thinking about them gives me the creeps. I don't know why thoe. I guss its just me 😆.Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
TammyMom (32 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-02-03)
Sheli111, I meant to say a composer is someone who composes, especially music, such as Mozart. Composure means calmness. TammyMom
TammyMom (32 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-02-03)
Sheli111, Have you been seeing this little girl during your entire lifetime, or has it been just recently in this house? If it's a recent occurrence I really doubt that it's your sister. Also, yours is the second story I've read recently that used the word weary instead of leery. Weary means tired. Leery means suspicious or wary. The part about trying to get a little composer before you woke your husband up to go to bed with you is hilarious. A composer is somene who composes, especially music, such as Mozart. Composure means calmness. After you sleep on a mattress for a while it will sag where most of your body weight rests, so if you change positions, with your head at the foot of the bed, your upper body will have more support. Every so often you should turn your mattress over and turn it the opposite direction. I did like your story though. Don't hesitate to write again. TammyMom
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
Wow, that would have really creeped me out... Seeing the shadow man. As for the little girl, maybe it is your sister, especially if you feel strongly that she is. I know you said that you haven't mentioned any of this to your father in law. Is that because he is a skeptic? I'm just asking because I'm wondering if he has had any experiences.
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Thats a really cool story. I had a very similar experience. Like perd said, most "shadow people" don't really have any distinguishable features. But it still hits home for me. Thanks for sharing
Sheli111 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Perd,
I've never called her by name. I don't even have a good reason to say why I don't.
You make a good point that he could've just looked to be covered in shadow. That almost frighten me more...Yikes!
Sheli111 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Surya, I apologize I never really answered your question. I'm not sure if she has acknowledged me or not. Sometimes I think she's looking at me but it's all hard to tell. She comes and goes. The time I saw her the most was a few months ago when my husband was driving a semi and was gone for months at a time.

Thank you all for the comments.
Perd (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Your sister! How neat! 😁 Have you thought of talking to her, calling her by name?

As for the shadow man, these are all too common. So common yet such a mystery. No one really knows who or what shadow people are, they just make their own conclusion about them. However, you said that you could see his hair, shirt and shorts. True shadow people are solid to semi-solid black, with no distinguishable features. So perhaps it was not a shadow figure, given the fact that it was dark, he just looked to be covered in shadow.

Always remember too, simply because the house may only be 10 years old, and no one passed away in it does not mean it cannot be haunted. It's not usually the house that's haunted, but the land that it sits on. The land is as old as time, and no telling what happened on or near the site that has drawn the spirits to reside where you house now sits.

Thank you for sharing. 😊
Sheli111 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
DA,
That happened a few months after my grandfather passed but I never got the impression it was him. We were never very close.

Kecoughtan & Surya,
My husband and I both have heard things crashing to the floor. We have 4 cats so we always just assumed it was them knocking things around until we started investigating the noise. Nothing had fallen and there was no explanation of the noise we had heard. My husband and myself have never mentioned these things to my father-in-law.
As for the little girl, this may get kind of long, but my mom and dad had a hard time conceiving children so they decided to adopt. In December of 78 they got what they had always hoped for, a little girl and by February the next year my mom was pregnant with me. Soon after my 1st birthday my sister was diagnosed with Lymphoma and passed away by the time I was 2 (she was 3). I have felt strongly that the little girl is my sister. I see her out of the corner of my eye all the time but its never very clear.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Thank you for sharing your experience. That would wake me up for sure! I'm going with Surya on this in wondering if he will appear to you again. Perhaps he's a deceased relative, or just a spirit watching over you?

Blessings,
DA
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It must have been frightening to awaken and find something like this staring at you. Has anyone else like your husband or father-in-law encountered anything similar in the house? Thanks.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Very interesting story. I cannot help but wonder if this shadow man will show himself again to you again. As for the little girl, has she acknowledged you as you have her?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: