You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Tv People

Real Ghost Stories

The Tv People

 

I still remember this as if it happened yesterday. When I was four years old, I lived with my grandparents (and they eventually adopted me). My grandparents and I always went to garage sales every Saturday morning, without fail. It was about 6:30 am and my PawPaw was out getting gas for the car and my MawMaw was in her bedroom putting on her clothes. I was sitting on the couch eating a bowl of Rice Krispies and watching cartoons.

My grandparents had bought a brand-new TV with remote and had cable (this was 1980). There was no one in the living room with me at all. I thought I was grown up to get to be alone in the living room. As soon as I thought that, the TV went all weird. My cartoon blipped off and I became very angry. I went over and hit the TV a couple of times and it came back on. As soon as I sat down with my cereal, the cartoon blipped off again. I got up and went over to the front of the TV. The screen began to blink and all of these faces began appearing on the screen.

I screamed and my MawMaw came running out in her slip. I told her what happened and she thought maybe the cable wire came out of the back. She inspected the back of the TV and found that the wire was secured in place. She hit the top of the TV and the cartoon didn't come back. Instead, on the screen there were these faces that looked so weird. The channel had not been changed and there was nothing to explain why these faces were appearing. My MawMaw could hear whisperings and she turned up the volume. The volume went up but the voices still remained inaudible and at the same whispery level as before. She was getting a little upset. She had the idea of pulling the plug out of the wall to see if that would fix the TV. She pulled it and the TV STAYED ON for about 5-6 seconds and then went off. The TV always went off immediately after pushing the off button. She screamed and I was crying by this point. She took me by the hand and we ran outside in the backyard and sat on her swing until my PawPaw came home a few minutes later.

He saw us and got angry with my MawMaw for being outside in her slip and for me being out in my gown. She was scared and shaking and told him what had just happened and that she would not go back in that house until that TV was taken out. He was upset by this because he had bought that TV the previous week.

So, he took the TV out of the house and waited until a TV repairman opened up his shop. The repairman took apart the TV and tested the tube and whatever else they do to TVs. He could not explain why the TV went on the fritz like it did. Nevertheless, the TV was returned to the furniture store and we got a new one. That TV never acted strange.

After the TV incident, we started experiencing acute paranormal things that almost always happened when I and my MawMaw were alone in the house together. This story is absolutely true and until I grew up and had my own children, I never told anyone this story. My MawMaw never told a soul, and as far as I know, she took it with her to her grave.

Other hauntings by MunstersBabe

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MunstersBabe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

vanlewie232711 (1 stories) (42 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-24)
when I was 12 my family lived in VA Beach VA me and the nieghbors were friends and went to the same school and well the kids beside me was having a birthday party for the baby brother turning 4 I think, there were 7-8 teens and 5-6 adults in the room with us we were watching thundercats with the baby brother when one of the thundercats said "vanessa you better go home asap" the other thundercat said " yes there is danger abound vanessa" I flipped a script because every one in the room heard it loud and clear. Needless to say I ran home and found out that one of my dogs bit my hamster angel that my sister gave me and trusted me to take care of. Angel died a few hours later even though we tried to save her. So yes when it comes to TV I think they can be possesed from the factory how do we know how they are made and who makes them arent hurt or worse you know? 😲
MunstersBabe (10 stories) (32 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
It's funny how ghosts like to use electronics to communicate with us. When I was small, I spent the night with my mom and stepdad. I woke up in the middle of the night scared awake from a nightmare. I ran to their room and crawled in between them and tried to wake them up. I laid there awhile and my step dad's radio started talking to me. It told me what a mean b*tch I was (I was 4 years old!) and kept cussing me out. I tried and tried to wake them up, and I couldn't. My dad's car horn started blowing on its own volition. They even slept through that! When daylight came, I begged my mom to take me back to my MawMaw and PawPaw's house.
Jennamena (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
😭 Thats scary! God, I hope it won't happen to me. When I was little My T.V would randomly say something. I don't remember what they said, but at least I didn't see faces!
MunstersBabe (10 stories) (32 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
To Lizzlie:
Our TV did not have a VCR hooked up to it. It was 1980 and I don't think they had come out with it at that time. All we had was cable. It wasn't a display model as far as I know. It was brand-new from the furniture store. I remember my PawPaw saying they had just got it off the truck. There was certainly only fuzz and distorted faces. The TV wouldn't change from its original station. I can't explain that. I can't explain the whisperings either. Perhaps it was a faulty TV, and perhaps spirits found a way to contact me and my MawMaw. I wish I knew what the answer. All I know is that the TV wasn't responding normally and that me or my MawMaw could not explain what happened that morning. Still creeps me out to think about it!
lizzlie (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
I don't know if its relevant to your story, but TVs can do odd things. I had one that was about 10 years old that had some problems that a repairman told me was the electronics in it... The picture extended past the edge of the screen, cutting off a bit of the picture, and it was a weird shape. Anyway, eventually, after you shut it off, it would have this green dot in the middle of the screen. And I don't mean for 5 or 6 seconds... It was more like 30 minutes. I was a teenager at the time, and it scared the heck out of me. The weirdest part though, is it did this all the time for maybe a year or so, and then went back to normal. Oh, and even when it was new, when you shut it off, it would show a black screen with two triangles that took up the whole screen on it for about 10 seconds. The TV was from circa 1993.

But, have you ever thought of the possibiliy of burn-in? ALL CRT screens are susceptible to burn-in, but the newer ones are less prone to it. They were very prone to it back then. A brand new TV shouldn't have been burned in, but was it a display model? Did someone leave a tape paused for a long time? Have you ever even seen a screen that's been burned in? The images don't look that much like the original, only the parts with the strongest contrast might be visible. Also, burn-in is only noticable when the screen is a solid color, like black, white, or gray. I suppose you could see it in static too, which would make it look even creepier. I wouldn't know, the only burn-in I've experienced was a computer monitor.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
That was so freaky! I would probably get rid of the TV too! I wonder, did your Paw Paw buy the TV used or maybe slightly used? (You know, still new, but maybe had been returned before y'all did?) Maybe there were spirits attached to it that decided to take residence in the house instead!
Happy hauntings to ya'! 😉 😊
phantom42 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
I've heard that people sometimes see faces on tv screens and computer monitors in pictures, but never something exactly like this. I've also heard of entities coming out of electrical sockets. These things supposedly happen because spirits "operate" on the same electrical frequency as these things.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Very weird story. It reminds me of a Brian Bethel story I once read about muppets he was watching transforming into weird, evil creatures (on the Obiwan site).
MunstersBabe (10 stories) (32 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
These faces looked humanoid to me. I didn't see a real human resemblence... Their faces looked angular. And they reminded me of shadow people I've seen in my life. Whether or not they are the same ones in the TV I saw as a little girl and the ones I have encountered during my life, I will never know. These TV people seemed quite negative to me.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Hello again munstersbabe, wow that is strange about the tv sound like a scary movie to me ha, could be something like the spirits or something can be strange about it.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
Thank you for sharing your story with us. That is very strange. I'm not sure if it was something to do with the TV or if there was an explanation. I know that sometimes it can take TVs a few seconds to shut off, even if it isn't normal that the TV retains power. I had a TV that used to take almost 10 seconds before it shut off. That was an old one though... You said yours was a newer TV so I'm not sure. Could you describe the faces? Were they human faces, or were they in "white noise" so to speak? I'm interested to hear more of your stories.

Blessings,
DA

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: