You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Ghost Boy In The Snow

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost Boy In The Snow

 

This happened when I was nine years old, but I still remember it as though it happened yesterday. (Please pardon the overused cliché)

It was the middle of January, and we were having the worst snowstorm recorded where I lived. Needless to say, all of the schools in the district were closed. Around noon, I went out to simultaneously to celebrate the rare snow day and revel in the snow with the kids who lived on my block. We all trekked down to the nearby playground; I suppose it was because there was more unsullied snow there. At one point, the group decided to try to build an igloo, but I quickly lost interest as it was not holding together, and I was tired of being bossed around so I separated from the group, to a fresh patch of snow several yards away. I was going to make a snowman.

I had just finished the first ball, and was already bored and thinking about rejoining the group. When I looked at my snowman again, I saw that there was an older boy standing near it with a grin on his face. I noticed that there was something a little strange about him. His clothing seemed old-fashioned and somewhat ragged, but I didn't mention anything. In fact, we never really said a word to each other, but by the end of the afternoon we had finished our snowman. I took off my hat and put it on the snowman's head, and the boy unwound the thick woolen scarf from around his neck to place it around the snowman's. When he finished, he smiled at me, bent to kiss my cheek. I remember that his lips were cold but that didn't seem weird to me at first. After all, we had just spent all afternoon playing in the snow. He gave a little wave and turned around to walk away. One of my friends called my name, and I turned to look they had all given up on their igloo and were heading back home. I followed, and didn't give another thought to the strange boy until later.

Over a hot chocolate, one of my friends commented on how quickly I'd managed to build the snowman. I laughed and told her that it wasn't that hard, I'd had help. A strange uncomfortable silence fell over the group, and one of the other girls said that they hadn't seen me with anyone. I rolled my eyes, figuring they'd formed some sort of collective pact to freak me out or something as a way to get back at me, and let it drop.

The next day, I went back to the park where we'd been playing. Most of the area was covered in footprints and evidence of my friends' attempts at that igloo, but as I approached my snowman, the footprints thinned out. I couldn't believe my eyes: there were no footprints whatsoever there: not mine, and not the boy's. The snowman stood alone, surrounded by white snow, untouched except for the tracks where we'd been building the snowball bases. Weird. I stood there for a moment, looking around in case the boy was standing nearby. No one was around. The snowman still wore my hat. I went over to it and retrieved it. After a moment's thought, I went back and unwrapped the scarf from around the snowman's 'neck' to place it around my own.

I still have that scarf, and to this day I wear it during the winter or whenever I'm feeling lonely.

Other hauntings by owlsong

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, owlsong, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

owlsong (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Kecoughtan, I never thought to check the scarf! It's fairly unremarkable: just gray wool. It's scratchy, but I wear it anyway. It looks like someone made it by hand, though: it's just a basic knitted scarf with no tag.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
I think this was a sweet story! It isn't impossible to get help from the other side, it happens all the time. It IS the first time I heard the other side helping with a snowman, but hey, why not? 😁 ❤
Zaikyo_Reincarnate (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
Oh what an interesting boy! Maybe one day you might meet him again. Then you can ask him why he was there that day. ^^

Zai-chan ❤
JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
What part of Michigan are you in? I am in westland ❤ And I am from Florida, so this winter is my first time seeing snow! I wonder... If that location is anywhere near me!
JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
awww... What a cute story! Did you ever see the boy again? ❤ I wonder, Serioudly what did you think the boy was, a ghost or a real boy?
ghostgirlontheloose (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
this is a good story, what I'm wondering is have you had any other experiences like this?
cloebaby666 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
thats a really sad/cute story. I had the same thing hapen to me when I was little. ❤ed it I added you in my favorites I'm new so I still am trying to figure this thing out lolz
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
Could have been rational explanations for the lack of footprints with snowdrifts. Why it didn't drift over all the footprints is odd but not impossible. Don't think your friends were lying to you about you being the only one building the snowman. Kids are curious by nature and I'm sure one of them would have come over to see who you were with if they noticed him. Unless you found the scarf somewhere on the ground that is your piece of evidence as to your encounter. How you finished a snowman so quickly is up for debate. Kids when playing lose track of time so maybe what seemed like a shorter time really was not. All these explanations aside you may have had some kind of genuine encounter. When your friends called to say they were leaving and he just walked away, too bad you didn't take one extra look back to see if he was still walking away or disappeared entirely.
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-24)
might be the boy have been freezed to death before you reside... This may happen any way consult a ghost hunter
My blessings,
Scary boy 😆
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Ok so clearly the explanation here is snow drifts. Snow blew over the area where the snowman was located. As for your friends, they saw you building the snowman but none came over to help or give you a hard time. Plus if they saw you building it and you really had been on your own, they would have seen you building it twice as fast as a normal person. So... You decide
eternalsunshine1724 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Your encounter sounds kind, I believe in demons but not necessarily ghosts being able to interact with people like that but that's just me. It could have been an angel, I have heard of stories where people believe angels have taken the form of humans to comfort or watch over us. When my grandmother was staying with her mother in the hospital (the stay where she passed) she said she was in the waiting room and there was an older woman who approached her and was very kind she said she wasn't visiting anyone nor was she a patient and after talking with her my grandmother felt like everything would be okay, she felt warm and safe and never saw her again. She believed that to be an angel.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Reading about your experience reminded me that my mother always insisted that my brother and I wear only old clothes and worn winter coats/hats out for our fun in the winter wonderland. She didn't want us to tear our good coats charging snowforts and riding sleds underneath barbed wire fences. While "old," they were certainly not from the 1940s and 1950s! And even if this lad was wearing old hand-me-downs, that still does not explain the absence of his bootprints.

What about the scarf? Does it look to be as old as the clothes he wore? Is there a manufacturer's tag or a pattern or color that might help to date when it was made?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Aw, this is a sweet story. I'm not sure if it's paranormal or not, I suppose it could have been a normal boy whom your friends just hadn't noticed, and it's possible that wind could have erased both of your tracks. However, it could be paranormal too, I really don't know. Either way, it's great that he was nice to you and helped you build your snowman, and even left you the scarf.

Blessings,
DA
nmg5789 (2 stories) (48 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
your story was very interesting

Have you ever tried to find of there were any deaths involving a boy in your area? Maybe that's why hes there
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
hmm

Well...whatever it was, it didn't harm you. You got a scarf and a kiss out of it.

A lot more than I got from boys at age 9
owlsong (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Hobby, to be honest there are some days when I doubt it myself. As for his clothes, I looked them up on a whim a few years later, and I think they were from the 40's or 50's. I know that's kind of the style now, but this took place about ten years ago, and the clothes were pretty tattered. I guess he could've been wearing his grandpa's coat, though. But that still doesn't really explain why my friends' footprints were there but mine/the boy's were nowhere to be found.
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Nice story, very sweet, no doubt, girls have a special touch for the spirit world 😉
squishy_squishy (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
I enjoyed reading this, it was sweet and cute!:D

And I agree with hazzardsyndrome, about the scarf, and that you made a friend?:)

I kind of of wnet "oooh!" when I read where the part he kisses your cheek, it's so cute! Haha, sorry, can't help it! X3
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
yeah, I'm 50-50 on it.

Part of me says maybe it was a spirit helping you (who knew they could build snowmen... Can they do my taxes too? I jest I jest).

Or maybe it was just some random kid. How old fashioned were the clothes? Are we talking "old timey" or like 70's/80's (everyones definition is different).

At any rate, I think you made yourself some sort of friend and have a nice memento of that day.
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
i really liked this story. It seems that even if it wasn't necessarily paranormal (though there is a big chance that I was, because of what your friends said and the footprints, don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting that) but its nice all the same, like you really made a friend. Especially the thing about the scarf, that was sweet 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: