You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Presence in EMU Dorms Dislikes Unmade Beds?

Real Ghost Stories

Presence in EMU Dorms Dislikes Unmade Beds?

 

I have an hour gap between my two classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and usually I go back to my dorm during that hour and take a nap, since I rarely get to bed at a decent hour. I could use the whole 'college kid, gotta study into the wee hours of the morning' excuse, but usually I'm just farting around the internet, losing track of the time. In any case, I nap.

One morning, however, when my alarm went off to alert me to the fact that it was time to get up and head out to my second class, I decided that it wouldn't hurt me to miss just one day, especially since I was so tired that the very thought of getting up was making my head hurt. Subsequently, I turned off the alarm and fell back into bed.

I woke up again around noon, just as that second class would have been ending, because my roommate had gotten up and was moving around the room to get ready for her own class--the lucky wench managed to get classes that were later in the day. As I was laying there, thinking about who I should email to get the day's notes (I'm not completely irresponsible... Just mostly so), I heard a loud, angry male's voice say, rather quickly, "Get up and make the bed," or perhaps just "Make the bed..."

This was pretty disconcerting, as, the last time that I'd checked, my roommate was female and had a voice that was hard to mistake for anything remotely masculine. So I sat up and looked out at her, but she didn't even seem to notice that I was awake or the voice itself: she gathered her books and left the room, leaving me to lay back in bed and wonder what the hell I'd just heard.

Other hauntings by owlsong

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, owlsong, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
"I decided that it wouldn't hurt me to miss just one day"

I can totally relate to that. 😉

I too have experienced voices calling out to me when I'm half-sleep, regularly infact whenever I am about to drop dead from exhaustion (I go to a lot of 24 hr parties 😁).

I don't think these voices are anything supernatural, just our minds playing tricks on us. But then you never know.
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
What if... (Don't you love sentences that start off that way?)... Anyway, WHAT IF some mental illness is/was misdiagnosed possession? Or WHAT IF the souls of those mentally ill people continue to roam around and settle at EMU because they feel comfortable in an institutional setting? (Does anyone see a the possibility of a future Stephen King book here?) I feel a screenplay coming on...
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-26)
Wonder if that was like a residual voice impression left over from another era?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
Oh, and even if the Mental Institution has been closed up for at least twenty years, that does not EXCLUDE it from part of the investigation. ANYTHING is possible. Even if they are not extremely close to one another, wandering is possible.
Leave no stone unturned. Use all of that research experience that you have simply from being in college! 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-25)
No, I really do not think you and your roommate are being silly. I think the two of you truly have something there.
Do you have Dorm Mothers or Dorm Fathers? It has been several years since I have wandered through a dorm at a college, so I do not even know if such Heads of Dorms exist. I would think though, if you could go through the history of the dorm and get a hold of some of the persons that are still with us you MAY find out something really interesting.
Colleges are part of the group of places that I feel would be easy targets for ghosties. All of the emotions that get wrapped up in college life, some of them I would assume are still lingering.
I would check out whether it is possible that the sides of the halls got changed at some point, or if it was an all male dorm sometime. You know, just act like you are curious about the history of your dorm. That should not be a hard stretch as it appears that you really are.
The building itself does not have to be old. Neither does it have to be the original structure. Neither would anything have had to happen within its walls. Just try to see what you can find out.
Thanks again.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
[at] Lisamaxw yes your right EMU is in Ypsilanti, however the Mental hospital has been closed up for more then 20 years. They are not even close.
My dad use to work at EMU many years ago, so I know where that is.
owlsong (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
Whitebuffalo, my dorm hall is actually co-ed: my side of the hall is female, and the other is male, but maybe in previous years it was opposite? Or maybe a male spirit was wandering around, just to be wandering around?

The building isn't really that old, though: just from 1963 or thereabouts, so one would think that anything that would cause a spirit or other sort of 'haunting' would still be remembered, would still be in the collective memory in some form.

Also, I do feel the need to point out the fact that all of the EMU stories lately have come from my roommate and I, in the same room (obviously), so it could very well be that we are just being silly. Eh.
Lisamaxw (92 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
As an aside: Eastern Michigan University is in Ypsilanti, where the state mental hospital is located. Not saying that it's necessarily related... Just interesting.

Lisa 😕
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-24)
I have said it before, owlsong, and I will say it again. EMU seems to be a hotbed of paranormal activity. I still wonder how it has escaped the eye and mind of the research teams in the area.
Was your dorm EVER a part of the male dorms? Maybe even part of staff housing?
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: